Adding May to my list of months when I won't go to WDW!

It's funny how everyone has such different perceptions! I HATED February because I was frozen the entire time and it went down to 40 degrees at night and I had to wear my winter coat EVERY day. We went in August last year and loved it! I am going in February again since I figure I'll give it one more chance, and going a little later in the month this time, but I'd much rather be sweating than freezing.

I was there April 24-26, and the highs were around 90. It's also been that hot lately when I've visited in late October. On the other hand, last Dec. 13 was one of THE coldest days I recall spending at WDW!

I've gone a few times in May and it's always been good. Usually mid 80's and low crowds. I think you just got unlucky with the heat.

I was just in WDW from May 14 - May 22 and I thought the weather was perfect! For most of the week, it was low 80's. So it wasn't too hot at all. It also got a little breezy at night so we'd change into pants/jackets. The last two days, the temps went up to the low 90's. So it was pretty hot those days, but not unbearable.

The best thing to do is to go to the parks in the morning...leave around 2ish when it starts getting really hot...and then go back to the parks around 6 or so when it's not as hot.

I was in WDW over Mother's Day week of 2002 and it was BLASTED hot. I was there again last Mother's Day 2010 and it was perfect. Weather is always going to be a crapshoot. :confused3

Our first year as a family we went in May...and for us, by mid afternoon we had to go back to the resort to cool off. Subsequent years we went in late January. We had awful weather in 2010 (rain all day everyday with the exception of one day) and very cool. This past Jan/Feb the weather was amazing. We were able to swim every day and for both winter trips the crowd could not be beat! Our next trip is October and whatever the weather brings, we will adjust our plans accordingly. :goodvibes

I was in WDW over Mother's Day week of 2002 and it was BLASTED hot. I was there again last Mother's Day 2010 and it was perfect. Weather is always going to be a crapshoot. :confused3

:thumbsup2, it was that way for us last December, it was not cold and no rain and the year before cold and rainy:rotfl:. I like going in may during SWW and we always have a blast. It is only what you make it:goodvibes

Does anyone know, on average, how low the temperature gets down to at night in September?

Are we talking pants and a sweater temperature or just nicely bearable but still shorts weather?

It is still quite warm in September but I have always found the nights more enjoyable- definitely still short weather though.
I took a solo trip a couple of years ago the first week of May and it was quite warm but I survived, just planned acccordingly.

We really lucked out. We were there May 15-19 and the weather was beautiful! Every day DH and I kept saying how perfect the weather was. But, we had heard that it was supposed to get really hot right after we left.

Got back last night - it was miserable. I live in Florida, so I'm used to the heat and humidity, but OMG! 97??? In May??? I don't even want to think about what August will be like this year! When it's that hot, I want to be neck-deep in my pool, not standing in a line with no breeze, no shade and 1,000 other miserable people. :eek:

February is looking really good right now!

I live in Florida too (Moved down here from Kentucky back in '90.), and I can say that this May has been very hot indeed. But that's not normal, and I sure wouldn't expect all Mays to be a repeat in the future. Keep May on your list of months where a visit to WDW is recommended. Karnak predicts that next May will be much more agreeable.

We were at EPCOT on Saturday, and it was so hot that our only consolation was that we could have been in Animal Kingdom.

At least Animal Kingdom has so much foliage that you're pretty much in the shade everywhere. For us it was the most comfortable park to be in on a hot day. Epcot to us was the worst, as it requires lots of walking in full sun.

:goodvibes I am happy to hear so many people not wanting to go in may. More room for us! :rotfl:

We love the beginning of may!! Yes, it can get humid, but we still love it!

I think what everyone has to remember is the following -

1 - everyone is different so how one person reacts to temperatures is not how another person reacts. I can personally vouch for that as my husband and I are very different. I can be freezing in jeans while he's comfortable in shorts. I reach for my sweatshirt and he's walking around in a T-shirt.

2 - weather this May is not going to be the weather next May. The higher temperatures *right now* in May does not equate to even higher temperatures in August. Who the heck knows what will happen by then?

3 - the weather so far in 2011 has been extremely unpredictable. We had schools closed here in the Atlanta area for a full week because of snow and ice that would not go away. Last week, I wear a long sleeved shirt to work. Today, I was roasting in a sleeveless top.

4 - you cannot change the weather. Adapt as you can but you can't do that much about it. If you really want your vacation, just deal with it.

I agree :thumbsup2

I have gone in early/mid may a couple of times and have just loved the weather. I went in September last year and was so worried about the heat, and it was great! Sure, a couple of times I was a bit hot but generally it was fine. I much prefer hot weather so we can swim than colder weather. And weather is weather, accept it and move on. Don't let it ruin your vacation! I don't even mind the heat in July BUT I do mind the 'tour group crowds' :laughing:

We were there last week (15th to 21st), and found the weather from the 15th-18 to be absolutely perfect -- high 70s to low 80s. Even my six-month-pregnant self was able to waddle around all day comfortably. It started getting warmer on Thursday, and by Friday it was downright hot (and more crowded than the earlier part of the week had been). We left on Saturday, and didn't even make it to a park that day. It was simply too much for me. Still as compared to Hotter-'en-heck September, it was great. I think my ideal would be to go in November or January, but we really liked May.

I was just in WDW from May 14 - May 22 and I thought the weather was perfect! For most of the week, it was low 80's. So it wasn't too hot at all. It also got a little breezy at night so we'd change into pants/jackets. The last two days, the temps went up to the low 90's. So it was pretty hot those days, but not unbearable.

The best thing to do is to go to the parks in the morning...leave around 2ish when it starts getting really hot...and then go back to the parks around 6 or so when it's not as hot.

OT, but your Golden is beautiful!! I had to put my best friend/"Therapy" Dog to sleep three weeks ago...it broke my heart :guilty:

Got back last night - it was miserable. I live in Florida, so I'm used to the heat and humidity, but OMG! 97??? In May??? I don't even want to think about what August will be like this year! When it's that hot, I want to be neck-deep in my pool, not standing in a line with no breeze, no shade and 1,000 other miserable people. :eek:

February is looking really good right now!

Are you my DH? I thought I was playing it safe booking in May, oh so wrong. DH almost passed out from the heat/humidity and someone did pass out near us while waiting for Spaceship Earth on Saturday.

I think we are also looking at Jan/Feb.

We were there 5/20-5/23 and yes, it was HOT! We usually welcome the heat--especially after the crappy weather we have been having in Chicago! Well, it was even hot for us! I swear, we've had cooler days in July and Sept! :)

But...I'll take it any day!!!;)

We were there the 18th through the 25th. Thursday was fantastic but every day after that was miserable. I almost passed out on Saturday in the World Showcase because there's barely any shade there. The humidity was intense but at least it was sunny. I mean I'll still take it over rain and humidity..

March in 2009 was fantastic! Sunny and high 70s, low 80s every day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter