Adding kids (10 & 8) to your cruise later?

enchanted72

Mouseketeer
Not sure if we want to go by ourselves or bring the kiddos *blush*

How hard is it to add them later will there be a big price difference between now and say 2 months from now for a Jan 2010 cruise?

Pros? Cons?

Well thats a tough one, why the question? I mean Disney is for kids of all ages so you'd be fine going yourselves if you want some time away. But I do have to say that the kids especially at that age willl LOVE it!:banana: To add them to your room won't be that big a deal later on. There is as much alone time as you want because the kids clubs are great and they will definitely want to go, and you can sneak over to the adults only pool and just relax the day away. IMO you should do this one with the kids and pick something else for you and the spouse to alone, likely after they're grown and out of the house! It'll happen before you know it!:scared1:

Actually if you book a cruise for just the two of you now, there is a good chance you will be assigned a stateroom that only sleeps three. The cruise price generally goes up the closer you are to the sail date so you may pay more if you add them later. I would book the cruise for all four of you now and then remove them if you decide they won't be going.

Aside from the potential increase in price, you might find yourself in a situation where there is no room for anyone else on the cruise. There are a certain number of people allowable for lifeboat reasons. I would book for everyone, and cancel (in the cancellation period of course) if you change your mind.

Not bringing the kids is totally up to you.

Actually if you book a cruise for just the two of you now, there is a good chance you will be assigned a stateroom that only sleeps three. The cruise price generally goes up the closer you are to the sail date so you may pay more if you add them later. I would book the cruise for all four of you now and then remove them if you decide they won't be going.

Thank you! I knew I was missing the obvious but I couldn't work it out in my head. :)

I posted and then realized we would never go without them. Who was I kidding? :lmao:

There are several reasons for the ship being "Full" and all of them involve different numbers.

Full capacity of the ship is about 1800 (2 people per room) but the ship has sailed with close to 2700 before.

There is the lifeboat capacity - I have no idea of how many passengers they hold.

There is the restaurant capacity - about 450 in each restaurant (3) with two seatings = 2700

There is the number of seats in the Walt Disney Theater - about 1,000 for a Max capacity of 2,000 (ok so I beleive that DCL would never use this number to limit the number of passengers!)

But for your situation there is another Maximum Capacity - and that is the number of kids of each age group that they will allow onboard because of the kids clubs capacities. There has been times where there are still rooms to fill - but people have not been able to add their children to existing ressies because of the ages of the kids.

So if I were you and you think that you might want to add the kiddos, there are 2 options: 1) Add them NOW and you can drop them later and their deposit will just reduce your final payment. 2) Change 1 adult to one of the kids and add the second child - so now you have a ressie for 3. You then can either drop one child and add the adult for a cruise for 2 OR add the 4th person later - because if you have a room for 4 you should be able to add the adult later - the only "hitch in the get along" might be the lifeboat space issue - but I have never heard of that being a problem.

There is also the whole issue of room in the Oceaneers Club and Lab. There could be still space available on the ship, but if the kids area's have reached capacity then they won't let you add your kids to the reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter