Adding family member to contract

clutter

DIS Veteran
I just tried to call member administration to ask this but the message was "we are closed, call later" at 10:45am. So, of course, I thought I'd ask here: I have two contracts, one has a blue card but is only 35 points. (I sold my first contract that qualified me as a blue card member, although I do have additional points I added in later years by resale.) If I add my now-grown daughter to my deed (I'm the only owner now), will she get a blue card as well? She's headed down later this year, so its worth doing if she can get the card. Otherwise I'm not going to rush it.

I figure that someone here has BTDT. Thanks in advance!

If you sold the contract that qualifies you for a blue card, you are no longer a blue card holder, so it doesn't matter who you add they will not either.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I still have the blue card contract, but it's only 35 points.

Adding a family member to the deed typically keeps any existing benefits in place.

Adding her as a co owner would qualify her for the blue card since the contract has been grandfathered in and you are remaining an owner as well.

I have discussed this issue before with DVC management. Gift transfers, including adding someone to the deed or transferring a deed to a new owner, are not considered resales and thus the recipient gets whatever blue card rights you had at the time the transaction is made. Thus, adding your daughter to the deed that already has blue card rights, gives her the same blue card rights you have. If you were to add her only to the deed that currently lacks any blue card rights, she would have the same restrictions you have as to that ownership interest.

Where you need to be careful is assuring that the transfer cannot be legally considered a resale, and thus subject to resale restrictions. Give a deed to your daughter and she gets your blue card rights. Give a deed to your daughter, but it is one currently subject to mortgage payments and she agrees to assume or pay-off the mortgage, and DVC could assert the transaction is a resale.

I have discussed this issue before with DVC management. Gift transfers, including adding someone to the deed or transferring a deed to a new owner, are not considered resales and thus the recipient gets whatever blue card rights you had at the time the transaction is made. Thus, adding your daughter to the deed that already has blue card rights, gives her the same blue card rights you have. If you were to add her only to the deed that currently lacks any blue card rights, she would have the same restrictions you have as to that ownership interest.

Where you need to be careful is assuring that the transfer cannot be legally considered a resale, and thus subject to resale restrictions. Give a deed to your daughter and she gets your blue card rights. Give a deed to your daughter, but it is one currently subject to mortgage payments and she agrees to assume or pay-off the mortgage, and DVC could assert the transaction is a resale.

Thanks. I'm just adding her to the (fully paid, blue card qualified) deed, not giving it to her, so that shouldn't be an issue. So, if she's given all of the rights, they will also issue her an actual card, correct? It's one of those things that I've intended to do, now that she's old enough. But she may be heading down this summer without me, so I'd like her to have a card in her name.

FWIW, this is where it gets expensive to have multiple smaller contracts, lol. The title company I've used for purchase in the past is quite expensive. But reliable, so there is that...

This would have been so much easier to deal with if member admin had been open. But they give no clue as to hours they are available. If they are closed at 10:30 on a Tuesday, there's no way to guess!

Thanks. I'm just adding her to the (fully paid, blue card qualified) deed, not giving it to her, so that shouldn't be an issue. So, if she's given all of the rights, they will also issue her an actual card, correct? It's one of those things that I've intended to do, now that she's old enough. But she may be heading down this summer without me, so I'd like her to have a card in her name.

FWIW, this is where it gets expensive to have multiple smaller contracts, lol. The title company I've used for purchase in the past is quite expensive. But reliable, so there is that...

This would have been so much easier to deal with if member admin had been open. But they give no clue as to hours they are available. If they are closed at 10:30 on a Tuesday, there's no way to guess!

Yes, you will be able to get a blue card for her but it could take a while. You first have to "add" her to the deed, which is a euphemism because you cannot just add her to the existing deed. The process required is for the existing deed owners to transfer their ownership interest via a new deed that names the existing owners plus the daughter, which then has to be recorded with the County Comptroller. Then you have to get a copy of that new deed to DVC, which then needs to acknowledge the new ownership. Then, you need to request that a membership card be provided to her in her name, and then you have to wait until the card is actually sent. The issue is amount of time all that will take. I am not sure how long, but your mention of a "summer" trip likely means that trip needs to be a time much later than any time "soon."

Last edited:
Yes, you will be able to get a blue card for her but it could take a while. You first have to "add" her to the deed, which is a euphemism because you cannot just add her to the existing deed. The process required is for the existing deed owners to transfer their ownership interest via a new deed that names the existing owners plus the daughter, which then has to be recorded with the County Comptroller. Then you have to get a copy of that new deed to DVC, which then needs to acknowledge the new ownership. Then, you need to request that a membership card be provided to her in her name, and then you have to wait until the card is actually sent. The issue is amount of time all that will take. I am not sure how long, but your mention of a "summer" trip likely means that trip needs to be a time much later than any time "soon."

To add, once Disney has the new dees, the daughter will be sent the email to set up her own DVC, which will give access to the digital blue card as soon as that happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter