Adding Adult Child to Membership

Lisa Black

Polyfam16
New member here. We purchased direct, Poly is our home resort.
DH and I have a special needs DS who requires one on one assistance. It's my desire that our 2 other DS's be able to bring their brother to disney when we aren't able to.
We need to add them to our existing deed. We paid cash and have a clear deed, know it can be done...
What is the best way to add on to the deed and what can I expect as far as time allowance.
THANKS IN ADVANCE

New member here. We purchased direct, Poly is our home resort.
DH and I have a special needs DS who requires one on one assistance. It's my desire that our 2 other DS's be able to bring their brother to disney when we aren't able to.
We need to add them to our existing deed. We paid cash and have a clear deed, know it can be done...
What is the best way to add on to the deed and what can I expect as far as time allowance.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
You'll need a new deed at a cost of about $50 if you do it yourself up to several hundred $$$. The best way would have been to do it as part of the purchase, it sounds like you're too far past that to change now with DVD directly. There are some intricacies to adding others to your contract such as financial aid and if they have financial issue.

Adding anyone to a deed is the same as adding someone to you home deed. They are now part owners and have legal rights just like you do. You can't sell without their ok you are all equal in the eyes of Disney.

:earsboy: Bill

We need to add them to our existing deed.
Why? They don't need to be on the deed to stay at the resort. You can add them as "associate members" so they can book their own stays. The only thing they gain by being added to the deed is the legal right to ownership, and the ability to get discounts using their member ID card.

They can still use the membership without being owners and you can even add them as associates which would allow them to book if you feel that is necessary. And you may pass it on to them in your will so it's not absolutely necessary to add them now just to allow them to take trips or to eventually receive the membership.

Would just like to ask a clarifying question - If I add my adult children as associate members, are they able to get their own membership card with my membership number on it? Thanks.
Keenan5

Would just like to ask a clarifying question - If I add my adult children as associate members, are they able to get their own membership card with my membership number on it? Thanks.
Keenan5

No, associates get zero owner perks or privileges.

(Goodness. Even I don't know what I was saying. Edited)

Nothing wrong with making them associates. I'm one on DH's account.

But they don't have to be on there in order to take trips on your membership. They (your kids currently without being associates or on the deed), just don't have their own login* and they can't call dvc. But using the points is totally fine.

*you get a login as an associate. not that I ever set up my own. I set up DH's and just use that.

Last edited:
Associates can make reservations. It is listed in your POS under Types of Club Members and Who Can Make a Reservation. Also per the POS if a member makes a reservation for a guest and does not charge the guest any rental fees, the guest is eligible for all or some of the Club Member benefits and privileges that a Club Member would normally receive during his or her stay in the reserved Vacation Home.

If the non-Club member is renting, it is the responsibility of the Club Member to notify Member Service when making the reservation. Member privileges and benefits can not be extended to renters. Of course I am sure many ignore this guideline just like they do charging for transfers.

Last edited:
If the non-Club member is renting, it is the responsibility of the Club Member to notify Member Service when making the reservation. Member privileges and benefits can not be extended to renters.

There are no benefits offered just because you don't check or uncheck that box. If you've always done it exactly you wouldn't know that. But I know. :)

Back when we had key cards, for our first DVC reservation I properly marked the 5 family members not in a DVC household. I got sloppy with me and DS since we are in DH's household.

7 cards said DVC on them. One didn't. (Guess whose? Yeah the one whose name was first because she made all the arrangements)

But all benefits required the DVC member card. And that remains the case in our experience.

Thank you for this thread. How do you make an adult child or children Associates?

Thank you for this thread. How do you make an adult child or children Associates?
There's a form you can fill out and submit through the website.

Click on your "Profile Settings" and there will be a link that says "Add an Associate to this Membership."

Last edited:
Currently all of our DVC points are titled in a trust. My DH and I are trustees. I'm thinking about getting a small contract that would include DD and DS (adults) on the title. How are benefits handled for DIL and future ( :-) ) grandchildren if they are not on the title?

Any contract titled differently than your existing or a different UY results in a new separate membership.

Currently all of our DVC points are titled in a trust. My DH and I are trustees. I'm thinking about getting a small contract that would include DD and DS (adults) on the title. How are benefits handled for DIL and future ( :-) ) grandchildren if they are not on the title?
To get most benefits you need to be listed as a member. Some discounts (passes) are offered if you are a "family member" with the same address as a member. If you do this you'll create a separate membership that won't interact directly with what you currently have. It could also create other issues, you just need to be aware of the ins and outs and limitations. I guess you could add them as trustees, do a new purchase for a minimum new purchase or do an add on then change the title of the add on to include their names. If they have the same address as a member they would qualify for pass discounts now.

To get most benefits you need to be listed as a member. Some discounts (passes) are offered if you are a "family member" with the same address as a member. If you do this you'll create a separate membership that won't interact directly with what you currently have. It could also create other issues, you just need to be aware of the ins and outs and limitations. I guess you could add them as trustees, do a new purchase for a minimum new purchase or do an add on then change the title of the add on to include their names. If they have the same address as a member they would qualify for pass discounts now.

The pass discounts is what I was most interested in, but I'm also aware that's not why I should do this as it can change. I currently make reservations for them using our points or include them in our trips. We wouldn't change the trust at this time, they are the beneficiaries of the trust. A new contract and membership would be the way we would go if we decide to do this. What is the current minimum purchase? It was 160 when we joined but I think it is less now.

The pass discounts is what I was most interested in, but I'm also aware that's not why I should do this as it can change. I currently make reservations for them using our points or include them in our trips. We wouldn't change the trust at this time, they are the beneficiaries of the trust. A new contract and membership would be the way we would go if we decide to do this. What is the current minimum purchase? It was 160 when we joined but I think it is less now.
It's 50 at some properties or you could buy 25 as an add on then change the title. If they had the same address as a current member they would get the benefit anyway assuming the number of passes needed isn't too high, I'm thinking it's 8 per. It could change so you'd need to decide if the risk is worth it. I'm told that if you get the same home resort and UY then transfer to your full sized contract you could see those online and book online using those points but you'd want to investigate further to be certain you understand this situation. You could ask DVC if they'll just sell you the 25 up front with their names on it to avoid changing later, it'd have to be all cash. I don't recall seeing that they've done this before but you never know, it certainly doesn't hurt to ask. Just for the discounts it's likely only worth it for a handful of situations such as if the volume of additional discounts was sufficient to justify a $4K or so investment but maybe you truly need more points or more wait list options and those would add additional benefit. .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter