• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Add on a Sunday or a Friday?

DSNY4ever

I am going to keep hunting
We are going at the end of September and I really want to make sure we get a chance to see the fireworks. I know they usually don't show them during the week during low season and our trip parks days right now are Monday through Thursday, should we add on Sunday and do a break day (we would need to do a break day because we want to be in the parks on Thursday for DS's birthday and our anniversary), or should we shift our trip and do Tues-Fri? We only have a 4 day pass (already purchased). What do you guys think would be better? My husband really doesn't want to add a break day because he is a Disney purist and doesn't want to go anywhere else.

Friday would be less busy than Sunday, especially earlier in the day when locals are at work and school. You can update your passes to 5-days. If you got a discount you would lose that though, but if you bought directly from Disney it would just be the difference in the pass cost. A rest day isn't a bad idea though, but I understand his feeling. We'd rather have a take it easy at the park day than a day of not going to the parks at all.

Could you upgrade your 4 day tickets to 5days?

I prefer Sunday as our first day in the parks. If you can't upgrade the tickets then you could go with the Tues thru Fri.

Geemo

You mentioned that you are going at the end of September. There is a good chance that Friday night could be a Halloween party night. In the past that has meant additional cost admission to DL and Halloween fireworks. With the 60th coming, I kind of expect this year to be different. Even if the Halloween party is moved to DCA though, I would be concerned about picking Friday night still because DL could very well be packed since if DCA has a Halloween party, then it will probably be closed to regular admission folks.

If it were me, I would add an extra day onto my tickets and do 5 days, Sunday-Thursday.

Second choice I guess would be to do Sunday-Thursday with a break day.

Yes, we got our tickets at a good discount and so I'd hate to "lose" that savings. And I was worried about the Halloween party too. We aren't planning on doing it because the kids are too little to make it worth it. My husband says I am over analyzing this and to just pick the dates so we can book the hotel, but after hearing the podcast I MUST see these fireworks and I am trying to figure out the best way to do that!

You can book a hotel now and make changes to your reservation later. Most of the hotels allow this. So you could book Sunday to Friday and then remove the days you don't want later. This would allow you to wait and find out if the fireworks will be every night during the anniversary or still only on weekends.

If seeing the new fireworks show is a priority for you, I would add a Sunday. Regardless of whether they go to a weekends only or not schedule, there should still be fireworks on Saturday and Sunday. There will likely be fireworks on Friday, but once the MHP start, there has been a Friday on every night through Halloween. On those night, the Halloween Scream fireworks show is presented and only guests that stay for MHP can view them from inside the park. Now there were rumors of big changes coming to MHP in 2015, but so far, nothing concrete has been announced. So to be safe, I would add a Sunday to your trip to have the best chance of seeing Disneyland Forever.

Thanks guys, I think to b safe I'll add the Sunday to make sure I don't hit a Halloween Party night incase they don't move it over to DCA. I know we could change it later, but we have all the grandparents that want to come and want set dates now. I sort of wish we could just do whatever we wanted, but I'll go with this plan for now. Maybe I can win DH over by planing some sort of great break day :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter