Add a Little Fun when at the Parks

mortman05

Earning My Ears
Our background;
We are a very unique family. There are 5 of us and the oldest two boys are in wheelchairs from Muscular Dystrophy. While the boys look like twins, they are actually 19, ,16, and 12 (no disability).
We are Disney fanatics and the boys have been 11 times.
We are used to the stares, wondering looks and standing out in general. It does not bother us anymore.

Our Fun;
We have made a game out of finding the uniqueness in others. We have a "treasure hunt" of unique people and have daily prizes for the game as well as an overall winner. Never, would we pick out someone with a disability or handicap. Everything is agreed upon prior to leaving home.

Some of the past examples are; Cowboy hat - with handlebar mustache, grandmother - with tatoo, small child - eating turkey leg, honeymooners still wearing mickey hat and veil, wearing marathon medal - 1 week after event, seniors in matching clothes, etc...

Especially for kids with disabilities, it allows them to see that everyone is unique. It also makes for a neat, ongoing challenge for the trip, when you are not able to go on the rides anymore.

Enjoy :)

That's really cool...one of the favorite Disney memories for the Mr. and I is when we saw an elderly couple onsite using matching scooters. The Mr. turned to me and said "that'll be us someday" and I said, "lucky for you we'll already own the accessible minivan and home!"

How are your boys doing?

Not so great. Lousy disease. Taking our first cruise in December. Praying all are healthy enough to go.

Some of the past examples are; Cowboy hat - with handlebar mustache, grandmother - with tatoo, small child - eating turkey leg, honeymooners still wearing mickey hat and veil, wearing marathon medal - 1 week after event, seniors in matching clothes, etc...

Especially for kids with disabilities, it allows them to see that everyone is unique. It also makes for a neat, ongoing challenge for the trip, when you are not able to go on the rides anymore.

Enjoy :)
It sounds like you are doing a good job of picking things that the person might be proud of if they caught you looking at them.

But, I guess it’s important to be aware that some people might not like any extra attention. Older kids like yours are probably respectful of that (and since they have been stared at themselves, probably understand how unwanted attention feels and don’t do anything that would make anyone else uncomfortable).
But, especially younger kids might get a little too ‘energetic’ in their pointing or comments. When my DD was little, it was very uncommon for her to see another child in a wheelchair. There was one other boy in her school using a wheelchair, but as far as I know, she did not see another girl in a wheelchair until a trip to WDW when she was about 6.
She pointed.
She signed “wheelchair girl”.
She got really excited and squealed.
I explained to the parents that she had never seen another girl using a wheelchair and was excited, but it was still an uncomfortable experience for all involved. We did talk to DD about how to act without causing a commotion.

So, although it sounds like your family is having constructive fun with it, just a caution to people that it could cause some problems if not being careful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter