Adaptive stroller or wheelchair?

lucifie

DIS Veteran
My daughter is 12 (almost 13 when we go to WDW). She doesn't normally use a WC but she can't walk long distances. The last time we went she was not quite 10 and we rented an adaptive stroller and it worked great. It was easy to push and steer and seemed comfortable for her. My only complaint was that it was a jogging-type stroller so it was hard for her to get in and out of.

Now it's 3 years later and she's bigger. She's not quite adult-sized, but she's getting close. I was thinking that maybe it would be better to get a WC because she's bigger had trouble getting in and out of the stroller, but my DH really liked the stroller.

Has anyone used both? How does pushing a wheelchair all day compare to a stroller with a larger child? How about the comfort of a WC versus a stroller?

Where are good places to rent a stroller? We'd prefer to rent one for our entire stay, instead of doing it daily at the parks.

The options for a rental stroller for a child that age are going to essentially be the Liberty Pushchair, which is the larger sized jogging-style. If you are taking WDW buses, I personally would not want to deal with it.

If you rent a wheelchair from off-site, I suggest getting one that is smaller sized so it fits her better. A standard adult wheelchair could become very uncomfortable for her, especially after multiple long days, as the seat is likely too large for her to properly lean against the backrest and hang her legs over the end of the seat.

If you might consider purchasing a used special needs stroller, there are some smaller models than the Liberty Pushchair. My family ended up purchasing a Maclaren Major Elite which is a very basic umbrella-style stroller and folds quite compactly, but depending on your daughter's size she could be near the max weight of 110 lbs. There are also Convaid strollers that fold fairly compactly; these come in various sizes, but tend to be pricey. Depending on your daughter's diagnosis, she may qualify for insurance coverage to purchase. Otherwise, you may find used ones for less on a local special needs equipment exchange.

Enjoy your vacation!

As for rental locations -- some of the standard baby-stroller companies rent special needs strollers. I believe Kingdom Strollers or Orlando Stroller Rentals. Also some of the wheelchair vendors also rent special needs strollers. There is a list of wheelchair vendors in the disABILITIES FAQs pinned near the top of this forum.

Enjoy your vacation!

We had the Liberty stroller from Kingdom Strollers last week, and we had no problem with it on the Disney buses or boats. It folded up very fast and wasn't much bigger than our double stroller rental when folded. It was kind of awkward for my son to get in and out of, but he was very comfortable and the sun shade was big and full covering. Our son was 8, so we have a few years before we have to consider a wheel chair, but if you think she would fit in a stroller and be more comfortable, I would vote for that.

Does SHE have a preference?

We have a Convaid for DS, he is now an adult weighing 165 pounds. He also normally does not use one, he has Downs and Autism, and some other issues. I like it because it has the seat back on a recline like a stroller, DS has Scoliosis and tends to lean way forward in a WC. He also climbs in and out of it easily, he flips the footrests in and out himself. I do not use the waist strap for him. I was lucky and got it on Ebay, it was still very expensive, but he will use it for 20 years or whatever. (because he is full grown, and parts are available for the chairs if needed).

We did use a companion chair for awhile, before getting the Convaid, but it was uncomfortable for him.

Biggest drawback of our Convaid, it is heavy and does not fold up small. I may eventually have to switch to something else as I get older, not sure of I will be able to lift it as I age.

The options for a rental stroller for a child that age are going to essentially be the Liberty Pushchair, which is the larger sized jogging-style. If you are taking WDW buses, I personally would not want to deal with it.

If you rent a wheelchair from off-site, I suggest getting one that is smaller sized so it fits her better. A standard adult wheelchair could become very uncomfortable for her, especially after multiple long days, as the seat is likely too large for her to properly lean against the backrest and hang her legs over the end of the seat.

If you might consider purchasing a used special needs stroller, there are some smaller models than the Liberty Pushchair. My family ended up purchasing a Maclaren Major Elite which is a very basic umbrella-style stroller and folds quite compactly, but depending on your daughter's size she could be near the max weight of 110 lbs. There are also Convaid strollers that fold fairly compactly; these come in various sizes, but tend to be pricey. Depending on your daughter's diagnosis, she may qualify for insurance coverage to purchase. Otherwise, you may find used ones for less on a local special needs equipment exchange.

Enjoy your vacation!

For the most part she doesn't need a wheelchair, so we never think about it unless we're going someplace that requires a lot of walking. The last time we went to Disney we got a prescription for an adaptive stroller from her doctor, but the turn-around time was too long to get it before we left. I'm afraid we waited too long again. :p I don't remember which model we had last time, but we got it from one of the stroller rental places and it worked out well, except getting in and out.

I don't have a problem with renting a wheelchair for her, but I want her to be comfortable since she'll likely be spending a lot of time in it.

I would second the Convaid. My daughter (almost 10) needs full support so we use a Convaid Rodeo (customized with even more support), so different then your dd, but we only travel with her adaptive stroller. The convaid cruiser would probably be perfect for your dd. They have teen/adult sizes as well.
Just a quick google search shows OrlandoMedicalRentals has Convaids. http://www.yellowpages.com/kissimmee-fl/mip/orlandomedicalrentals-com-462413681 but there may be others that rent Convaids, it is a big brand.

We had the Liberty stroller from Kingdom Strollers last week, and we had no problem with it on the Disney buses or boats. It folded up very fast and wasn't much bigger than our double stroller rental when folded. It was kind of awkward for my son to get in and out of, but he was very comfortable and the sun shade was big and full covering. Our son was 8, so we have a few years before we have to consider a wheel chair, but if you think she would fit in a stroller and be more comfortable, I would vote for that.

Does SHE have a preference?

I don't know what model we had last time, but it was pretty bulky folded up. We didn't use the buses last time (after the first day) because it was tough to juggle the special needs stroller, a regular stroller and 4 kids on a crowded bus, but we have a handicapped placard, so driving wasn't a big deal.

Enjoy your vacation!

Just a warning if you decide to buy a special needs stroller. My daughter is a very small 12 year old (about 4 ft 4 and 80 pounds). We used a Maclaren Major Elite for her for several years at WDW, malls and anywhere that required a lot of walking. However, in the past year or so she has been complaining that the Maclaren was too small--even though she was well below the weight limit for it. We have switched to a pediatric wheelchair for her. Your experience with the stroller may be different than ours was, but, even at her size, my daughter has basically outgrown the special needs stroller--although we do still keep it in the second vehicle in case it's needed. She can still fit in it, but not comfortably. I would not want to do a week or two at WDW with it anymore.

My daughter is 16 and weighs less than the wait for a lot of the special needs strollers but she is not comfortable in them. I picked a small adult push chair that was umbrella size and light weight (Corzo Xcounrty). Easy to get in and out for her. Easy to push for me.

I was also going to suggest that you look into a transport chair for her. They have small back wheels, so she would not be able to push herself, but it looks like a wheelchair. They fold very small, and they are relatively inexpensive. It would be something you could use for Disney and also at home for places like the mall or zoo or local amusement park.

Since it looks like a wheelchair, you would not have any difficulty with buses or attractions. I know you can get a wheelchair tag for in the parks, but that does not help with the buses, which may not let you board on the ramp if it looks like a stroller. Also, you will be required to fold a stroller to board, and they will not require that with a wheelchair. I am not certain, but I think that a wheelchair would allow her to stay in it, rather than having to get out like a stroller. That means you do not need to worry about her having a seat.

If you have a car, this would fold down even smaller than a normal wheelchair or a stroller.

Also, since she is 12, she may not be a big fan of a stroller... it may be a wheelchair makes her feel more comfortable...

If it a special needs stroller the drivers will treat it like a wheelchair and you can use he back ramp. And if it has tie down options which some that you can rent do the driver can tie down the special needs stroller so don't have to fold it and the kid has a seat on the bus. But not all special needs strollers haas the transportation tie down option so just make sure to check.

Even with the transport chair you can use the back ramp and if it has tie down options the driver can tie down the chair.

If you don't your kid to stay in the stroller or wheelchair or transport chair and if it has the transport option. The. The driver can tie down the stroller/chair and then transfer to a seat. But that but your option your kid can stay in it if you want or not.

Transport chairs usually don't have a tie down option. They are generally made for light use, are easily foldable and light in weight.

We're staying off-site, so we likely won't be using the buses. The last time we found it to be easier to just drive to the parks and park in the handicapped area. I'll look into a transport chair. That sounds like it could be a really good option. Thanks. :)

We're staying off-site, so we likely won't be using the buses. The last time we found it to be easier to just drive to the parks and park in the handicapped area. I'll look into a transport chair. That sounds like it could be a really good option. Thanks. :)
They are meant for short use (i.e. transport). Because of that, some people find them not to be very comfortable for use for more than a short time.
So, you will want to check it out before purchasing.

Are there any medical equipment rental sites near you where you could go with your daughter and have her try some options?

I took my daughter to a disability expo and she tried all of the chairs available in us. Look out for one they are in most major cities

If the rider does not need to push themselves..... I like the transport chair.

Transport chairs are awesome for their light weight and foldability. They can be made more tolerable for long days/distances by purchasing a gel cushion (like a WonderGel cushion) or, in the case of lighter-weight child, the simple addition of a pillow, or folded blanket.

The seat on a transport chair is a "sling" style (like a director's chair) so it can be uncomfortable for long distance riding. However, if she is going to be hopping in and out of the chair for rides, meals, attractions, etc. then that most likely will not be a concern.

Just remember that the smaller back wheels make it more difficult to curb-climb, and more prone to issues with the tracks embedded in Main Street at MK. (always cross any kind of tracks like that at an angle of about 45 degrees if possible - you can cross them at a direct 90 degree turn, but with smaller wheels, the 45 degree angle will be more comfortable for both rider and pusher)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter