Adapters, converters, or both???

AinsleyLM

Mouseketeer
Hi, everyone! I have been reading all the posts here for the last month or so, but this is my first time writing myself. I would absolutely LOVE to go on an ABD trip, but I just can't afford one at this time. I am, however, going on my dream trip with my mother on Sunday. We are heading to London! I have dreamed of this trip since I was a little girl. I graduated from college with my BSN a year ago and am now a registered nurse at our local hospital's NICU. Since I am still living at home at this time, I was able to make my dream come true! I have been trying to research about the adapters and converters, but I am hopelessly lost with all of it. I think I have figured out that my iphone and kindle will do with just an adapter, but the hair straightener won't. Is that right? I also read that even with the converter, the straightener still won't work right. Has anybody experienced this? Is it even worth getting the converter to try? Thank you for any help any of you might be able to give me.

From reading all these posts about how awesome ABD is, I have decided to open up another savings account to save for one of the trips. Hopefully I will be able to join in on the fun one of these days. I really like the Southern California, Germany, and Italy and Switzerland itineraries.

Hi, everyone! I have been reading all the posts here for the last month or so, but this is my first time writing myself. I would absolutely LOVE to go on an ABD trip, but I just can't afford one at this time. I am, however, going on my dream trip with my mother on Sunday. We are heading to London! I have dreamed of this trip since I was a little girl. I graduated from college with my BSN a year ago and am now a registered nurse at our local hospital's NICU. Since I am still living at home at this time, I was able to make my dream come true! I have been trying to research about the adapters and converters, but I am hopelessly lost with all of it. I think I have figured out that my iphone and kindle will do with just an adapter, but the hair straightener won't. Is that right? I also read that even with the converter, the straightener still won't work right. Has anybody experienced this? Is it even worth getting the converter to try? Thank you for any help any of you might be able to give me.

From reading all these posts about how awesome ABD is, I have decided to open up another savings account to save for one of the trips. Hopefully I will be able to join in on the fun one of these days. I really like the Southern California, Germany, and Italy and Switzerland itineraries.

Have fun on your trip.
This link might help with your question about the electricity issue.
http://electricaloutlet.org/frequency
You will need a three prong adapter. The straightener is more problematics than the iPhone/kindle
Enjoy!

Even though you may not be a world traveler all the time, you should get both the converter and adapter. Without one or the other, you could fry your electronics or really anything that you plug in. Speaking from experience. I fried a 30 dollar battery charger by using only a 4 dollar converter in Spain.:rolleyes1

I find the whole converter/adapter issue very confusing, but I used both on my recent trip to Italy.

Kindle - I used an adapter purchased at Target, and it worked just fine.
iPad/iPhone - I used the Apple adapter kit with the prong for Southern Europe, and it worked just fine.
Hair devices - I used a combination of a converter and an adapter (both purchased at Target), and my flat iron worked just fine.

Now granted this was Italy and not England, but I think the same principles hold.

I'd get both the converter and the adapter, because you never know when you might have the chance to take another trip. I don't know if you have to get the Apple branded adapter for your iPhone, but I did just to play it safe.

Congrats on your dream trip and enjoy London!

I do remember the adapter for London was different than the adapter for Paris!

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I do remember the adapter for London was different than the adapter for Paris!

I didn't think about that. The one i got had multiple prongs so you could use it in multiple countries.

I didn't think about that. The one i got had multiple prongs so you could use it in multiple countries.

Mine was a set for multiple countries. I seem to remember the "European" one was good for multiple countries, but there was a specific one for England. I am hoping what we have is good for Germany next month! Lol. Bought DD the iPad international charger adapters for her London semester.

Thank you all for your help. We bought both an adapter and a converter. Now we just have to pack! We are leaving tomorrow!

You absolutely need the adapters for the respective countries but you will not need a converter for electronics (camera, phone chargers, computers) as they are usually dual voltage. You can tell by looking at the very fine print on the device plugs and you will notice that they say 110v-240v. However, if you are bringing appliances like hairdryers and curling irons, etc., they are not dual voltage unless you specifically purchase a travel model with the dual voltage feature.

Another tip is to never plug a dual voltage device like your phone charger into a converter. It will fritz the charging process and either not work at all or charge very, very slowly.

A few years ago we purchased travel appliances and left the clunky and heavy converter at home. Good luck.

Bought DD the iPad international charger adapters for her London semester.

May I ask if you purchased this at an apple store directly or elsewhere? DD is looking to do a semester abroad in her junior year and this would be handy. on another note what are you doing about her cell phone if you don't mind me asking are you purchasing a local cell phone when she gets there?

Thank you

May I ask if you purchased this at an apple store directly or elsewhere? DD is looking to do a semester abroad in her junior year and this would be handy. on another note what are you doing about her cell phone if you don't mind me asking are you purchasing a local cell phone when she gets there?

Thank you

We purchased the international adapter set at the Apple store when purchasing the iPad.
We haven't decided what to do yet about the cell phone! Lol. She has an iPhone4 and wants to be able to text and FaceTime us. I need to call our carrier and figure out how it all works! We thought we'd se it up for our ABD to Germany, to make sure it all works! Lol

I have traveled all over Europe and not once have I needed a converter. All you need are plug adapters, preferably a cheap all in one model which will work everywhere and you can buy on Amazon for less than $5.00. Paying any more for a name brand is a complete waste of money. All of your electronic devices will work fine; iPad, iPhone, Android phone, all computers, etc.

You might want to invest in a dual voltage hair straightener (if they exist, not familiar with these).

The problem I've found with the all-in-one convertible types of adapters is that they tend to be overly large and heavy, and won't always stay in the wall outlet. I bought one at Brookstone (ran out of time) and most of it was a waste. I ended up pulling off the European adapter part & using it by itself. I guess it was good in that it had a few different adaptors, but the "universal" part itself was a waste of space in my luggage.

I found the best ones are the $1.79 adapters that you can buy off Amazon.

Sayhello

I have traveled all over Europe and not once have I needed a converter. All you need are plug adapters, preferably a cheap all in one model which will work everywhere and you can buy on Amazon for less than $5.00. Paying any more for a name brand is a complete waste of money. All of your electronic devices will work fine; iPad, iPhone, Android phone, all computers, etc.

You might want to invest in a dual voltage hair straightener (if they exist, not familiar with these).

Conair makes dual voltage hair straighteners and curling irons. Remington makes the dual voltage straighteners not sure about curling irons.
To the op if the info on the electronic says 120-240V all you need is the adapter as the outlet in the wall is different. If it doesn't say that you also need the converter. From personal experience it is easier to purchase dual voltage items since using a converter is bulky, may not stay in the wall due to the weight and takes a lot longer to charge

We purchased the international adapter set at the Apple store when purchasing the iPad.
We haven't decided what to do yet about the cell phone! Lol. She has an iPhone4 and wants to be able to text and FaceTime us. I need to call our carrier and figure out how it all works! We thought we'd se it up for our ABD to Germany, to make sure it all works! Lol

You can use apps like whatsapp for free texting, only works with wifi access

Friend that is working in Europe just told me about this app Viber it allows you to call mobile to mobile for free as long as both parties have the app and both need wifi to use it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter