ADA room policy

DSquare

Mouseketeer
When we booked our cruise we requested an ADA room since our son is in a powerchair and has severe mobility issues. DU booked us a room an ADA room no questions asked. After I made my final payment I was sent an email from DU that stated I needed to fill out a Special Service form. I had no problem filling it out and faxing it to DCL. I'm just wondering what DCL's policy is on these rooms. Is it normal to hold ADA rooms even without proper documentation or was it just an oversight and not noticed till I made my final payment? If they don't get the Special Service form back would they transfer the party into an equivalent category room and open that ADA room for someone else?

I was kind of surprised when they first reserved the ADA room for me without any kind of supporting documents. In no way am I upset about filling out the paperwork my questions only stem from curiosity.

I've heard policy is to transfer guests who don't need those rooms to equivalent or higher rooms if someone who needs one tries to book after they are all filled.
They may just be looking for someone else who can switch rooms, as you don't have to be disabled to stay in the rooms and on the older ships some people preferred the layout of the ADA rooms.

I had also heard that DCL requires the form right away but that has not been my experience either.

Last year I booked a wheelchair accessible cabin (using Dreams Unlimited) and they never told me I needed the form (even right up to getting on the ship - no mention of the form at all).

This year again I have a wheelchair accessible cabin booked for our B2B Dream cruises in Oct/Nov (again through Dreams Unlimited) and there's been no mention of completing the form.

I had also heard that DCL requires the form right away but that has not been my experience either.

Last year I booked a wheelchair accessible cabin (using Dreams Unlimited) and they never told me I needed the form (even right up to getting on the ship - no mention of the form at all).

This year again I have a wheelchair accessible cabin booked for our B2B Dream cruises in Oct/Nov (again through Dreams Unlimited) and there's been no mention of completing the form.

We booked one on the Wonder for our april 2012, DW is recovering from surgery and is scheduled to have another in the early winter, so she will be using a walker. I have heard nothing from DCL, nor has her useless travel agent (not DU).

This is a total guess, but maybe they only start checking if someone calls and ask for a disabled room and they are sold out? I have heard there is a waiting list, perhaps then they start checking.

Nit picking here, but they aren't ADA cabins since the law doesn't apply to cruise ships not "flagged" in the U.S.
Disney calls them accessible staterooms. I suspect if they don't meet ADA standards, they are pretty close.
I'm not sure which cruise you are on, but just be aware non-U.S. ports may not be as accessable as places in the U.S.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter