ADA Accessible Inventory

MouseFiend

Mouseketeer
In my desperate search for one night at any DVC resort in December where there has been no inventory available, I accidentally checked the “Accessible Room” box where there is a lot of inventory available. I know these rooms should be booked by those who need them but my question is, do they eventually get released into regular inventory if no one books them in a certain timeframe? I know they don’t let them sit empty since folks sometimes get an accessible room without asking for/wanting one.

I think that booking the rooms is okay especially as one gets closer and closer to check in.

Owners who need these rooms do have the same access and booking timeframes as others so if they are still there 3 months out, one does have to assume that most who did need them have probably secured them.

I guess I am even a little more harsh here..... To me the instant that "non accessible" inventory runs out and accessible inventory still exists it is OK to book it. People needing accessible rooms did not pay extra at purchase or in the MF. There should be no booking advantage (or extended availability) for accessible rooms. If non accessible rooms are available in the category you want and you do not need an accessible room, you should never book it. However, once the room you want is no longer available, booking an accessible room is not "inappropriate". This even applies to booking a STD view room at BWV at 11 month. If at 8:01 the only rooms available are accessible, then it is OK for anyone to book it. If you do not need to use your waitlist for any other bookings, opening a WL for a non-accessible villa as a replacement for the accessible room also makes sense.

VGC actually shows all rooms (including accessible) when you do a search. The other resorts either show only non accessible or only accessible based on your selection.

This makes me feel better. I was looking at rooms (less than two weeks out) and the only rooms left are accessible rooms at the resort and room cateory I'd need. I feel a bit guilty booking one, but with 10 days left, I feel it's OK to reserve the room I want. Thank you for sharing.

This makes me feel better. I was looking at rooms (less than two weeks out) and the only rooms left are accessible rooms at the resort and room cateory I'd need. I feel a bit guilty booking one, but with 10 days left, I feel it's OK to reserve the room I want. Thank you for sharing.
After seeing this thread I checked for the 50th anniversary and they had a 2 bedroom at BLT standard view handicapped with tub, so I switched from my Boardwalk 1 bedroom std. I agree with previous posters that at a month out I’m not taking a room from someone that needs handicap only as they’ve had months to book it. I’m sure I made someone else happy to get my BWV room as I was to be in walking distance of MK and to see the 50th fireworks.

Strangely enough, I put a request for a standard room once I received the accessible room. Two days later, I received a regular room! Pretty crazy since my trip is 8 days away.

Strangely enough, I put a request for a standard room once I received the accessible room. Two days later, I received a regular room! Pretty crazy since my trip is 8 days away.

Thats exactly what I have done. I waitlisted a regular room and I stalk a few times a day.

There is time for it to fill and it’s only one night. I’m confident it will!

The way things are legally supposed to go are:
ADA rooms are reserved for those that need it until all other rooms in said category are booked, then the ADA rooms should be moved to general availability.

This is how a lot of things are supposed to work, for example ADA seating at a theater should be held (along with companion seats) until all other seats have been sold, then they should be released to everyone.

Just wanted to add that there may have been a a website issue with booking. A few days back I needed to modify a short 3 day trip in January to an accessible room and was surprised with the availability across almost all resorts for studios and 1 bedrooms.

I mean BC, CC, RIV, BLT all had studios available for accessible rooms for entire weeks.

The next day I checked and there were no more than 2 consecutive nights available for any accessible room at any resort. BC, CC, RIV,BLT which had weeks of available rooms now show no nights available at all.

Just wanted to add that there may have been a a website issue with booking. A few days back I needed to modify a short 3 day trip in January to an accessible room and was surprised with the availability across almost all resorts for studios and 1 bedrooms.

I mean BC, CC, RIV, BLT all had studios available for accessible rooms for entire weeks.

The next day I checked and there were no more than 2 consecutive nights available for any accessible room at any resort. BC, CC, RIV,BLT which had weeks of available rooms now show no nights available at all.

Maybe or people read about it and changed. Remember there are not a lot of rooms in those categories. So it may have been 1 or 2 only and would not take long to get booked.

I just checked my night and all the rooms that were available then are still there sans the one I got.

Maybe or people read about it and changed. Remember there are not a lot of rooms in those categories. So it may have been 1 or 2 only and would not take long to get booked.

I just checked my night and all the rooms that were available then are still there sans the one I got.

Possible but doubtful. Riviera had accessible rooms for every room type available for most of January and I just checked right now and there are zero days in most most room types, same for BLT and CC. Unless everyone booked those rooms over a 12 hr time frame starting from from 9/8 at 10pm to 9/9 at 8am

I noticed the same thing. A few days ago, there were many dates in many accessible room categories that were available. Now, the availability is gone. It could be that threads like this one added more interest in those rooms, but I don't think that really explains the amount of rooms and dates that disappeared.

Last edited:
My guess is whatever "glitch" was causing the accessible room inventory to not show as part of the larger non-accessible room inventory has been closed. The plethora of ADA inventory that was showing across all resorts and all room categories for fall frenzy was pretty amazing. It lasted a few weeks and probably helped many get some tough rooms for a super high demand time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter