Actual shipping versus guessing, on Ebay?

tbserena

Mouseketeer
I was wondering if most people who sell on Ebay do "actual" shipping costs, in other words, wait for the auction to end and calculate the real shipping? How does that work? Do you just email it to the buyer and they fill it in, or does the seller have to fill something else out?
Or is it safe to guess on the shipping? Does it deter bidders for the shipping to be a little high?

For bigger items I state buyer will pay actual shipping. And by bigger I mean something that will weigh 5+ pounds. Anything less than 5 pounds I take a guess at. Sometimes I'm a little high, sometimes I'm a little low, but it all averages out in the end. I'll weigh it first (I don't have a postal scale, so I use the bathroom scale and get it close) then I check the USPS site and get an estimate to a zip code in California. I add a little for cost of the box and packaging and use that as my shipping price.

Greg

I did purchase a postal scale. Other recommendations are a dieters scale or a baby scale. If you have a regular digital scale, it will work for heavier items if you step on w/o the object then step back on with it. Worked great for books etc. Otherwise, if you are going to do it for any length of time, I would suggest purchasing a scale. A few errors can be quite costly to you.

I also have a handling fee of .75 to 1.50 depending on size, weight, quantity of protective wrapping needed, etc.

I will hardly ever bid on something that says 'buyer pays all shipping costs'. I want to KNOW what it will cost me.

I guess,

I know what the package/box cost me, and i guess at what the PO is actually gonna cost me, i refuse to sell an item with out fixed shipping cost, just as i refuse to bid on somthing with out fixed shipping...

I've lost money, I've gained some...depends on what it is, but when i sell i sell multiple items and if you look at most of them there right in the same shipping cost neighborhood.

DisneyVK

I have a scale from dieting that weighs up to 5 or 7 lbs and so far I haven't mailed anything heavier. I put my auctions up with the calculated shipping service ebay offers; that way any bidder can plug in their zip and know what it will cost them before they bid. I don't care for flat fees as they seem high to me whenever I'm bidding so I decided not to do that on my sales.

The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is how come sometimes first class is much less than parcel post and sometimes it is nearly the same to send priority as parcel yet I can't adjust the invoice. Well, actually I can adjust the invoice price on my ebay email but paypal won't let the buyer pay the lesser shipping amount.

There is no way I would guess at what the costs will be. It is well worth the minimal cost of a scale to be able to calculate shipping. Depending on what I am selling I will either put in a flat rate (to Zone 9) or use the shipping calculator. I also add $1 or so for supplies. If it is something that is going to require a lot of additional packing supplies I will add that to what I charge.

Be sure though, when you wiegh the itme that you are doing so AFTER you you have it packaged. You would be amazed at how much difference it makes when you add bubble wrap.

ITA with disneychrista. You should never guess at shipping charges. Think of it from the customer's view. Would you be upset if you bought something on ebay and paid $5.00 postage then had the box arrive and saw that the seller only paid $3.95? That's a rip-off in my opinion and people are constantly complaining about that on ebay.

What do I do? I state in my auction lisitings that buyer pays actual insured Priority Mail postage and that there is no added charge for packing materials or handling. I will not buy from anyone who tacks on handling or packing material charges. That should all be worked into the listing price of the item.

I do use a postal scale I got at Staples several years ago. Then I go to the USPS website to calculate actual postage once the auction ends.

Steve

It is shipping and handling...I never add the cost of shipping and supplies into my item but my s&h. Also I work full, full time wife, full time mother and it isn't worth my time and effort if I don't add some handling into it. My time and effort is precious and cost $$$. I don't sell high ticket items but Dd clothes, HH items etc. So if I charge $5.00 for shipping and it come to $3.95...so be it. On the other had I have purchased things and the same has happened to me...and I certainly don't think it is a rip for all the reasons I've mentioned above....It certainly doesn't cost the GAP $8.00 to ship me one item either...again it is shipping and handling...not shipping!

Originally posted by mep319
it isn't worth my time and effort if I don't add some handling into it. My time and effort is precious and cost $$$.

Your time is absolutely of value and you should price your items accordingly. When a regular store sets their prices, they take into account the actual cost of the item, their labor costs, insurance, rent, taxes, etc. I think you should do the same when selling on ebay. When I set my starting bid, I take into account the cost of the item, my listing and final value fees, taxes on my income and my time.

It certainly doesn't cost the GAP $8.00 to ship me one item either...again it is shipping and handling...not shipping!

I totally agree with you there. This is a pet peeve of mine. I hate when catalogs charge shipping based on the cost of the item, since we all know that shipping charges are based on weight, not value. This is why my wife and I virtually never buy anything mail order.

Steve

Don't forget the eBay fees and PayPal fees which add up quickly. I add those to shipping and handling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter