Actual *new* News on Avatarland

So let's go with...Avatar? I mean I guess it is just an expansion of AK, and not a separate theme park. But does it even fit in with AK?

I have not seen Avatar so I may be way off, but this is what I think everytime I hear about Avatarland. I don't understand how it fits????

I have not seen Avatar so I may be way off, but this is what I think everytime I hear about Avatarland. I don't understand how it fits????

The movie is a going native story. And a big aspect of that is the tale of conservation as opposed to exploitation.

Because of that, I feel that it fits rather well into the whole nature conservation park approach/theme of Animal Kingdom. And I didn't like the movie in the first place, but I can like a theme park of it. I just wonder how they're going to work the Navi in.

[ edit ]
Fern Gully actually had a very similar plotline going with it, but most Going Native stories have the same plot.

Has anyone heard where in AK they are going to build it? Is it replacing something or an addition?

Has anyone heard where in AK they are going to build it? Is it replacing something or an addition?

I believe it's supposed to be an addition, as to where, we prolly won't know for sure until they block the area off. AK specifically does have some want of additional attractions though [so does DHS to be honest, but I can see why they want another 'ride' in DAK first].

Avatar was an awful movie. The only reason it made money is because the new type of 3D that was used was something new that everyone wanted to see. It was way over hyped.

I can imagine it will be a big, rectangular flight simulator like Star Tours.

They'll call it "Pandora's Box."

I am excited that Disney is expanding and adding rides to AK. I also think the message of nature and conservation from Avatar is a easy fit to the general message and theme of AK. I also think that the movie has some great fodder for rides... I TOTALLY would want to ride on one of those winged things in real life....
The same purists who sneer about it not being original Disney ...seem to forget that argument when it comes to Star Wars and the Muppets. IMHO ... if you build a great ride... then you can put any number of successful themes on it... Fire n Ice vs Harry Potter's Dueling Dragons comes to mind.

I didn't see Avatar in 3d. I waited until it was out on BlueRay, and watched it at home. I enjoyed the story, and the visuals were amazing. If Disney can deliver an experience that compares in any way with the visual experiences in the movie, Avatarland will be a winner in my book!

Avatar was an awful movie. The only reason it made money is because the new type of 3D that was used was something new that everyone wanted to see. It was way over hyped.

ITA!!

So, much needs to be updated, but no.. Disney will raise prices to finance this stinker. BTW..I love AK, but I'm not excited about Avatarland.

I just saw Avatar for the first time last weekend. The whole time I was watching I was looking to see how it related to Disney. Didn't see how it fits.

If I'm correct, I seem to remember reading that most of the viewings were not in 3D.

Either way, I have enough faith that Disney will do this right.

Avengers is just over ONE-THIRD of the way to matching Avatar, maybe coming up on halfway in a week or so. Still a LONG way to go and their bell curve of earnings is dropping off rapidly (still an awesome movie though!).

I'm excited for this, Cameron has already demonstrated that he can collaborate to make an exciting attraction (anyone remember Terminator 3D?). I just hope the park is designed and budgeted so that it remains in good shape for years to come.

No matter what the theming is I think it will be packed for several years until the novelty wears off (and according to WDW statistics, for 70% of the guests EVERYTHING is a novelty as they are first [and only] timers). Who really cares if it is dinosaurs, Na'avi, or Grimm fairy tales? An exciting ride is an exciting ride, I consider the themeing to be icing on a delicious cake.

I thought I heard it was going in the general area of Camp Minnie Mickey since that was just a place holder, anyway.

I thought I heard it was going in the general area of Camp Minnie Mickey since that was just a place holder, anyway.

Camp Minnie-Mickey is the most likely place now as FOTLK is rumored to be moved to the new theater in Africa.

Count me as another one who was hoping it was announcing that they were scrapping the idea.

I hate the idea of an entire land based on a movie, especially in a park that isn't DHS. I get that the movie doesn't have to be successful for the land to be, but this still seems like a lame attempt at an answer to HP (which they don't even need to do). Anyone see Avatarland bringing in the numbers that HP did? I don't.

Disney should stick to being the leader not the follower, JMO.

Let's not forget AK is 3 spots ahead of IOA in attendance. Avatarland could bring it up some, but I doubt it would beat EPCOT.

Let's not forget AK is 3 spots ahead of IOA in attendance. Avatarland could bring it up some, but I doubt it would beat EPCOT.

But can you see Avatarland bringing in a substantial amount of people who otherwise wouldn't go, like making a special trip for it? Can you even see a substantial amount of people extending their vacations because of it? I think while it pulled in big bucks at the box office, it doesn't have the same kind of hold on huge numbers of people like Star Wars and Harry Potter.

I really have to laugh at all of the people who are so disturbed by this future expansion. I've never seen people so disturbed by something that we know so little about. :rotfl: :lmao:

Okay, so you didn't like the movie. So what? Judging by the money it made, a whole lot more people liked the movie than disliked it. And for those who think it made so much money simply because of the "new 3D", would you actually go to a movie you didn't want to see just because it was in 3D?

I for one enjoyed the movie. And while I think it could be argued whether or not the fictional creatures fit into AK, I don't think it's a stretch to say that the environmental message surely does.

Maybe everyone should just take a step back and wait to see what kind of plans they put forth...and then rip them to shreds. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter