• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Activities you don't regularly hear about...

MarriedToAPrince

DIS Veteran
We are headed back home in August 2014 for 14 days!!!! So fill me in on some of the smaller more special things to do? We will have a 6 year old little girl one month shy of 7.

I'm not sure exactly what time of activities you're looking for, but I asked a similar question recently. This is what we're planning on so far:

- Pin trading. I'm going to make lanyards and hopefully get some authentic but cheap pins off of ebay from a reputable seller.

- Penny presses. I'm going to stack quarters and pennies in the mini M&M containers so they're always ready.

- Hidden Mickeys. My boys are old enough to try and actively spot these now, but I'm thinking of getting a guide as well.

- Pirate Cruise. We're not going to do a lot of planned dinners and stuff like that, but I think the boys would enjoy the Pirate Cruise where the kids go off on their own and search for treasure. I was thinking about the Pirates and Pals, but they're not overly into meeting characters, we'd have to go with them, and it would cost a ton more.

Hope that's helpful in some way!

Something we considered doing on our last trip but didn't get a chance to is the Wonderland Tea Party over at the Grand Floridian. It is a tea party with Alice and Mad Hatter but from what I've read parents are not allowed to stay during the party. I think it is around $42/child (girls ages 4-10) and they decorate their own cupcake, have tea (juice) and do a small craft. I believe it is held Mon-Fri from 2pm-3pm at the GF. My oldest DD is 11 now, so since she is too old for this we decided to make a reservation for all our kids to do the Pirate's League at MK together. My girls are getting the mermaid makeovers and my boys are getting the Jake and first mate pirate makeovers. DD11 is the most excited about this out of everyone. For the makeover she picked out a coordinating and shimmery tank top/skirt outfit from Justice to wear that is Ariel colors (teal and purple)!

Not sure what resort you are staying at, but when I was 8ish years old we stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort and rented bikes and rode around the resort. I thought this was the coolest thing ever even though we had bikes at home. So even simple things like renting bikes could be cool for your 6 year old and be a nice break from all the park madness.

You should also check out the marshmallow roasting with Chip and Dale I think at Fort Wilderness in the evenings.

Our last trip we took our last morning to go fishing at POR and then rented a surrey bike. My DD didn't care much about the fishing (my DS was in heaven as it was his first time ever) but she absolutely adored riding the surrey bike.

Last year the kids also liked going to AKL and doing the night viewing (although the night vision goggles were rather lame). They also loved playing on the Wiii outside the kids club (we had stumbled across it in our wanderings).

Another thing that was fun was going to Wilderness Lodge - and just playing with the toys they have in the lobby. Sounds lame, but they have cool toys and my kiddos had a blast. DH and I enjoyed resting in the spacious, peaceful lobby.

Last year we surprised our then 11 year old daughter with a trail ride at Fort Wilderness. She adores horses, like many young girls, and had no clue what was going until we walked up to the stable :). She had a great time and it was well worth the effort.

We are headed back home in August 2014 for 14 days!!!! So fill me in on some of the smaller more special things to do? We will have a 6 year old little girl one month shy of 7.

If you are staying at the Poly resort they have activities in the GCH. My daughter loved making the leis while we were there when she was young. I think they have hula dance lessons too.

Not sure exactly what you are looking for...
but on my list for our upcoming trip--

- Bippity Boppity Boutique
- Chip n Dale Sing a Long at Fort Wilderness
- Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom game in MK
- Agent P Scavenger Hunt in Epcot
- eat at Boma and look at the animals at AKL (maybe go on the Culinary Tour there before eating)
- Drawing classes at Animation Academy at HS or drawing lessons daily at specific times at Art of Animation
-Pick a Pearl in Japan at Epcot

We love "playground hopping" at the different resorts. My daughter's favorite tradition is getting the thread put into her hair (Not sure what it's called) at the boardwalk or POR. We also love the surrey bikes and walking from the Beach Club to Fantasia Gardens to play mini-golf.

Also, they have movies playing at the Beach Club beach at night, too, and you get a sand bucket with your Hurricane Hanna kids meals. Can't tell you how many evenings we've spent watching a movie or watching the boats come in with the kids making sand castles. (O.K. now I'm ready to go, too!)

getting a list or map or world and hunting down cast members from as many different countries as you can!! also when meeting a cast member have a autograph book and ask them to write your childs name in there native language! then when you get home you can make a collage of the names also taking pics with them is cool too!!

getting stickers from the different transportation modes.

spending a day just hanging out and hotel hopping!

The Family Magic Tour at MK was a lot of fun. My 7 yr old DS had a blast, and so did I! It wasn't too expensive either... $27ish per person with my Disney Visa discount. 2 hrs long and well worth it... It's basically a scavenger hunt around MK... You should be fairly familiar with your way around MK and some character and movie knowledge... We'll definitely be doing it again!

This trip we road the boats and went to the campground to roast marshmellows. The kids loved that and it is something you don't do all of the time.

Last year I did the Perfectly Princess Tea Party at the Grand Floridian with my 2 girls ages 3 and 7 at the time. They LOVED it. It's pricey but very well done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter