Activities for families at Hilton Head??

Crystal_27

DIS Veteran
I know that DH will be in love with the golfing that Hilton Head offers, but I was wondering what family activities are available? I'm alread mapping out plans for 2011. :rolleyes: Thanks in advance for any input.

They had some fishing tours available. Our 5 year old did an "unbirthday party" and fish painting...can't remember what its called but they take an actual fish and the kids paint it and press it onto a t-shirt....the kids loved it. We also did a campfire at night with smores and songs. I know they had other stuff too...we were only there for 2 days on our way to disney so we didn't do that much.

We've been to HHI three times in the last 2 years, & each time we do some of our favorite things, but always seem to come up with new favorites!

If you are going in the summer time, Shelter Cove is a hopping place. Very fun to go over & browse in the shops, grab something to eat & catch the Shannon Tanner show. They also have fireworks one night.

We thoroughly enjoy renting bikes & riding over to the beach house. The beach is gorgeous & we've spent much good family time there. Last year, we did one of the activities at the Beach House. It was a really cool thing about turtles...honestly, I was not overly enthusiastic, but my DS really wanted to do it, & it turned out to be great. The kids & DH also love fishing off the pier at the resort (they've caught small sharks, crabs, & they saw someone catch a stingray!)

There's also a multitude of things to do on the island. We have done mini putt-putt, walked a trail in the Sea Pines nature preserve, shopping at Coligny Plaza, ceramics at the Art Cafe, exploring Harbourtown (very pretty view from the top of the lighthouse) & Sea Pines areas, etc. DH has taken a few of the kids on a dolphin excursion w/ Capt. Scott, which was awesome, & I went parasailing with DD, which was also awesome! :thumbsup2

The best family thing is just being there together! :goodvibes Whether we're relaxing, trying a new restaurant or exploring a new activity, it's an awesome place to be! Have fun planning! :)

We thoroughly enjoy renting bikes & riding over to the beach house. The beach is gorgeous & we've spent much good family time there.

Is the beach house that far away? We are planning to drive to HH so we could take our own bikes.

Is the beach house that far away? We are planning to drive to HH so we could take our own bikes.

The beach is about a mile from the resort itself. There is a free shuttle between the resort and the beach during the day, but it's also a nice bike ride from the resort (be sure to use the bike path which goes under the highway - bikes are not allowed on busy route 278).

There are miles of paved bike paths all over HH island.

I remember a couple family activities that everyone was enjoying. There's a tour of the marsh around the resort, where you go out with boots they supply, see the crabs, sea grasses, etc. Lots of fun! There was also a beach walk, where they took us over in a van to a beach and got to walk, looking for shells, etc. Both events were enjoyed by all ages there.

There are also nature kayak tours on-site. A couple years back we did a sailing excursion for a few hours on a catamaran. It was great. We got a tour of the intracoastal waterway and a relaxing sail. It was well worth the money.

WOW - - it sounds as if there is much more going on there than I initially thought!! Thanks so much, everyone!! :goodvibes

Is it a private beach or shared with other resorts?

Where the Disney Beach House is there are only resorts in the vacinity. The Marriott is right next to it. There isn't any public beach access that is real close by.

My teens love to play tennis but I don't see anything about a tennis court. I did read that there was one somewhere but maybe off property??

My teens love to play tennis but I don't see anything about a tennis court. I did read that there was one somewhere but maybe off property??

There isn't one on property but I am sure that there are some around. You should call down to the resort to ask where they are.

The DVC has no courts but Palmetto Dunes has many.
The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center (less than a mile away on the beach side) has 25 courts, 8 of which are lighted for night play.
Private and group lessons are offered along with daily tournaments.
The General Store is right next to the courts and a nice place to grab an ice cold treat after a match.

The DVC has no courts but Palmetto Dunes has many.
The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center (less than a mile away on the beach side) has 25 courts, 8 of which are lighted for night play.
Private and group lessons are offered along with daily tournaments.
The General Store is right next to the courts and a nice place to grab an ice cold treat after a match.

Thank you so much! I'm assuming there are fees? I guess we are spoiled by SSR. Actually, I think it would be a nice surprise to get them into a clinic or two. And lighted courts will be appreciated if the days are too hot.

Court rental runs about $20 for an hour.
There are public courts on the island (near HHI High School) and a few private courts with no security near Shelter Cove.

There are nice public tennis courts just a bike ride away from the Disney resort! They are located in a beautiful park that the name is escaping me right now. But the park had quite a few courts, basketball courts, a great pirate ship themed playground, bark park, baseball & softball fields etc... When you leave the Disney resort and follow the bike path to the main road then go to the left and ride down a little bit to the park. My 7yo managed the ride no problem.

As a pp said Palmetto Dunes also has courts and clinics and is rated a top tennis resort.

There are nice public tennis courts just a bike ride away from the Disney resort! They are located in a beautiful park that the name is escaping me right now. But the park had quite a few courts, basketball courts, a great pirate ship themed playground, bark park, baseball & softball fields etc... When you leave the Disney resort and follow the bike path to the main road then go to the left and ride down a little bit to the park. My 7yo managed the ride no problem.

As a pp said Palmetto Dunes also has courts and clinics and is rated a top tennis resort.

Wow! That's more our speed. I was thinking about Palmetto Dunes for a lesson or 2 but when you start reading the clothing & footwear requirements, I have to run out and buy some stuff just for that.

My kids just like to grab a racket and hit the courts. If you find the name, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm sure they'll know at the resort. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter