ACK! Postage went up & I didn't know

Spinning

<font color=deeppink>Give me a chunk of something
What happens to the stuff I mailed today? I totally missed that rates went up...I put 2 things in the mail. One needs to get there on time......a bill. the other if it comes back I can resend it!
Does any one know what will happen to my letter?

you're probably not the only one who did it - i'd think since it was mailed today you might get a "free pass" and nothing would happen (how would anyone know you didn't mail it yesterday or late saturday night?)

you do know that stamps are going to increase one cent each year for now on, right?

plan ahead....

I had no idea either unitl I heard about it on the radio this morning. What did the stamps that you used this morning look like? If they have the Liberty Bell on them and say forever then you are fine, everything will go through. If they say .41 on them they will get send back to you postage due. I wish I had known about this earlier so I could have bought more of the forever stamps.

The letter won't come back to you. I am sure there is a grace period of a couple of days.

Even if there was no grace period, since you already have some postage on it, it will go to the recepient as "postage due". They will have to pay the penny.

IIf they have the Liberty Bell on them and say forever then you are fine, everything will go through.

Oh that's right! More than likely, the OP's stamps are forever stamps. So she is good. They came up with the forever stamps tp get rid of the letter stamps.

Letter stamps were the stamps that bridged the rate increase.

The letter won't come back to you. I am sure there is a grace period of a couple of days.

Even if there was no grace period, since you already have some postage on it, it will go to the recepient as "postage due". They will have to pay the penny.

don't count on it.

back several years ago when the postage rate went up i had a co-worker that spaced and sent out a couple of hundred wedding invitations within a day of the increase. she got all her pretty invites back with a big rubber stamp marked 'insufficient postage' stamped on them:guilty: also-many buisnesses use p.o. boxes to receive their payments (even if a street address is listed-it's still actualy of p.o. box facility) and i don't think you can do postage due for those (since there's no one that can hold and process the receipting of the shortage).

What happens to 'postage due' Domestic mail?
Throughout its journey mail may be periodically checked to ensure it has proper postage. If a mail piece does not have proper postage, it may be returned or delivered according to the following scenarios:

If the item is without postage, or it appears postage fell off, it is endorsed "Returned for Postage Mail" and sent to the return address on the mailpiece.
If the item is short paid, it will be delivered postage due and the letter carrier will endorse it to show the amount of the postage due.
The recipient must pay in cash for postage due mail before the mail is delivered.
Depending on location, letter carriers may or may not be able to collect Postage Due directly from a customer or a customer's mailbox; for further information on how to pay for the Postage Due, please contact your Local Post Office facility.
Rural carriers are not required to go to the door with a postage due letter. Policy stipulates that rural carriers go only as far as the mailbox and blow the horn. The recipient must come out to the mailbox to pay and receive the letter.
Note: If the short paid item cannot be delivered as addressed (including if the recipient refuses to pay for and accept it), it is endorsed "Returned for Additional Postage" and sent to the return address on the mailpiece.
If an item is returned because of no postage or insufficient postage and one of the following is the case:
No return address is shown
The delivery and return addresses are identical
The delivery and return addresses are different, but for the same person or organization, then the mailpiece is treated as dead mail. Please see: What happens to a piece of mail when it cannot be delivered or returned to sender?
Note: A returned shortpaid mailpiece can have the necessary additional postage affixed (leaving the "postage due" message intact) to the original piece and does not have to be placed in a new envelope or wrapper.

This is directly from the USPS website. It seems we are all correct as to weather or not it will be delivered if you only have the .41 stamp and postage is due. It may or may not given the circumstances. Good luck if you didn't have the Forever stamp. I've generally found that I do not have very good luck with the USPS.

I don't think they'll come back.

1. You could've put them in there Sunday night thus beating the deadline.

2. At my office, we get letters with the wrong postage for weeks after a rate increase.

I had no idea either unitl I heard about it on the radio this morning. What did the stamps that you used this morning look like? If they have the Liberty Bell on them and say forever then you are fine, everything will go through. If they say .41 on them they will get send back to you postage due. I wish I had known about this earlier so I could have bought more of the forever stamps.

--------------------------------

Phew! This thread really had me worried.. I jusy mailed all of my utility bills, health ins. premium, etc., a few minutes ago and had no idea that postage went up (or was even going up - not watching the news much lately)..

However, I just bought these 2 books of stamps last week and my mail carrier must have taken that into consideration because they're the Liberty Bell "forever" stamps.. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter