• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Acivitiy books/Games/things to keep 8yr DD busy during our drive to WDW?!

WeLoveLilo05

DIS Veteran
Anyone have any good games (DS or board type of games), activity books, etc. that they can recommend to keep my 8 yr old DD busy for our 18hr+ drive to WDW in August? She has always done well before, I have always purchased things in the past (for cheap) put them away and give them to her throughout our trip, something new to keep her occupied. I anticipatge this year, since she can read, to give her some books.
Thanks! Would love to hear things your kiddos have enjoyed!

My son is almost 8 and he is loving the Magic Treehouse books. He's also a huge Nintendo DS fan and on our last trip to DL he played the Lego pirates of the Caribbean game the entire flight there and back!

Some things we had were felt boards to create pictures/make up stories, a magnetic board of various colorful insect parts to design bugs, a game with colored pegs to make designs, and travel sized games such as Sequence (but that takes more than 1 player!) Recorded stories worked well too.

If you all enjoy Harry Potter, I highly recommend those on audio. The man who narrated them is just amazing, he did a really good job with all the different voices.

For books for her to read: depending on reading level/interest: DS loved the Puppy Place series, a different dog is featUred in every book. So cute!. (Same reading level as Magic Tree House.)

For activities...DS just got a book called Do You Doodle?...each page has a little bit of simple drawing and then a few words..for example, one page has a few people looking up, and the caption at the top says "fantastic fireworks."

If you all enjoy Harry Potter, I highly recommend those on audio. The man who narrated them is just amazing, he did a really good job with all the different voices.

For books for her to read: depending on reading level/interest: DS loved the Puppy Place series, a different dog is featUred in every book. So cute!. (Same reading level as Magic Tree House.)

For activities...DS just got a book called Do You Doodle?...each page has a little bit of simple drawing and then a few words..for example, one page has a few people looking up, and the caption at the top says "fantastic fireworks."

I second HP audio and the Do You Doodle Books!

DS also liked Wiki Sticks on car trips when he was around that age. They are kind of liked waxed yarn, so you can bend them like pipe cleaners (but without poking yourself on the ends) and they will stick and remove from the car windows.

Maybe Mad Libs? My brother and I used to like those in the car when we were kids.

Before relying on books as entertainment for the ride, do you know if she gets nauseous reading in moving cars? I'd do a test first if I were you.

That said, I always got new books before the ride to Disney (even though I get car sick) and I loved that part of the ritual.

In addition to our collection of movies, we use Redbox on the road quite a bit. It's nice that you don't have to return them to the same box where you rent them. Plus, you can reserve online and have a movie waiting for you at the next McDonalds :)

When I was that age .............oh so long ago, I loved paper dolls, it takes a while to punch them out (perforated) or cut them out (don't know if they still make them) then its fun to dress the dolls and play with them. How about small, simple craft kits that are found in the dollar section of Michaels or AC Moore.
Books - one of the loves of my life, I can't get enough of them even now. I loved the Box Car children at that age and they are still available all these years later :) Do you have a Kindle or Nook ? If so you could put books on it for her to read, I just bought a Kindle and found a site that has a free or very inexpensive kids book every day to download so I am putting some of them on my kindle for a long drive in July with my 5 year old great nephew.

When I was that age .............oh so long ago, I loved paper dolls, it takes a while to punch them out (perforated) or cut them out (don't know if they still make them) then its fun to dress the dolls and play with them. How about small, simple craft kits that are found in the dollar section of Michaels or AC Moore.
Books - one of the loves of my life, I can't get enough of them even now. I loved the Box Car children at that age and they are still available all these years later :) Do you have a Kindle or Nook ? If so you could put books on it for her to read, I just bought a Kindle and found a site that has a free or very inexpensive kids book every day to download so I am putting some of them on my kindle for a long drive in July with my 5 year old great nephew.

I LOVED paperdolls and colorforms when I was little! I did get her for our last trip 2 years ago American Girl Kit paper doll set.
I ordered her a spongebob doodle type game for her DS last night (it was under $10), an travel activity book that has the liscence plate game on the back, that she can put the plates on as she sees them, and then like an ispy type of game that we can both play all from amazon for under $25. I will have to try and see if she gets car sick when reading, I hope not!

On our last trip I had a "goody" bag that my DGD's would get one item per hour out of. I made a run on Party City and Dollar Tree--note pads with princesses, a "glass slipper" (wedding section of Dollar Tree), princess lanyard, stickers. Also got 2 clean boxes from Pizza Hut and put paper and colored pencils in them. They can use the boxes as a desk and when they are finished it all goes back in the box. I had a large rubber band to put around it to keep it closed. They also decorated the boxes with stickers from the "goody bag." Just don't put crayons in the pizza box--they melt!! By the way, I just made the goody bag with some inexpensive fabric and put a draw string top on it. Enjoy your trip!!:wave2:

We are driving with a 8, 6 and 2 yr old. Here are some links to some of the stuff I made for the kids. They were all easy and cheap. The dollar store is your best friend:goodvibes

I am making them road trip kits. I have trays that I made with a little cushion and dollar store cookie trays attached. I made all kinds of magnetized games/puzzles. I also did road trip bingo, battleship, yahtzee, tic-tac-toe, hangman and a baseball game I found online and laminated them. This way they can play the games over and over. I found a tutorial on pinterest on making I spy kits. Go to the dollar store you will find tons of puzzles and little craft kits to bring with. Also they had some magnetized tangrams there that I bought for the kids. Oh and I bought mickey alphabet, number and color flash cards from the dollar store and punched holes in them and put them on a book ring.

I also am putting together reading and movie kits. I am doing all kinds of Disney books in a kit for each of them at their level from the library(will just make sure they don't leave the car) and am checking out movies to watch in the car. Plus lots of Disney themed snacks!!

Here are a few of the links I used.

http://laura-elephantjuice.blogspot....oliday_16.html

http://mykindofmakeover.blogspot.com...c-puzzles.html

https://www.earlymoments.com/Fun-Act...n-Activities1/

tray...mine has just the lap cushion, but I added a magnetic crayon holder made out of pringle containers cut down
http://prudentbaby.com/2012/08/baby-...avel-lap-tray/

Here is on from the DIS
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=226819

I am happy to share the files with anybody who wants them for the games. Just message me your email addy :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter