Accuracy of Height Limits?

SFBay2

Earning My Ears
Greetings all, new poster here.

I've got two twin boys who are *right* at that 40" limit. We're going to Disneyland in September. With shoes, they stand about 1/2 an inch over 40".

My question is one I haven't seen before here: how accurate are the initial height limits on the rides? We're specifically interested in Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain, and Radiator Springs Racers. Has anybody had an experience with the accuracy of the height measurements?

And FYI, I'm not planning on arguing with cast members about this issue, or stuffing my kids' shoes, etc. I'm just trying to get a sense of expectation. If the measuring bars are accurate, my boys should pass.

They're quite accurate and strict, but that said, our daughter was wearing little dress up shoes with heels (of her own accord) that let her barely hit the limit on one ride. They seemed perfectly fine with that. I've never seen them require people to take their shoes off, if you're at the right height with whatever shoes you're wearing (probably sans some crazy platform shoes) then you can reach the floor at a safe level and they seem fine with that.

As stated, they're extremely accurate. You should be okay though. How old are your boys? I think I'd be more concerned about them being scared on the height requirement rides than whether they can or not. (I only say this because my 5-year-old is tall enough to ride almost everything, but the faster rides and rides with drops scare the poo out of him. That being said, a lot of kids are braver than my son.)

They are very accurate, EXCEPT for Jumpin' Jellyfish, which is about an inch high (or at least it was on our last trip).

Have your kids put their arms up over their head (It will help them stand up straight), and remind them they WANT to hit their heads, and you should be fine. Also, remember that we shrink as the day goes on, so if it's close in the morning, it may be a no-go in the afternoon.

Gadget's Go Coaster is a good test run if you're not sure if they like "roller coasters." I would imagine that most kids would be fine on the ones you've mentioned, as there aren't really any scary elements other than the ride motion itself.

Everyone always said the height requirements were off, particularly Jumping Jellyfish. My son at 39.5 inches had no trouble getting on any 40 inch rides with his shoes on.
I just had him practice at home putting his feet all the way back and standing really straight and told him he wants to hit the bar with his head, not duck under it.

I just had him practice at home putting his feet all the way back and standing really straight and told him he wants to hit the bar with his head, not duck under it.

That's the big thing... Make sure your kiddo knows they are trying to stretch to hit the bar, not trying to duck under/away from it. I've found the raising the hands up usually helps the kids "stretch" a little more too. And, since a person is naturally taller in the morning, you might want to try height-restricted rides first thing in the morning. :) Good luck!

They're quite accurate and strict, but that said, our daughter was wearing little dress up shoes with heels (of her own accord) that let her barely hit the limit on one ride. They seemed perfectly fine with that. I've never seen them require people to take their shoes off, if you're at the right height with whatever shoes you're wearing (probably sans some crazy platform shoes) then you can reach the floor at a safe level and they seem fine with that.
Thanks for the feedback!

We're going to Disneyland for their fourth birthday. I'm not sure what they'll be up for. On their third birthday, they were OK with Gadgets Coaster, but scared by Snow White. I think Snow White was more subject matter fright rather the drops etc.

They both revel in jumping off stuff I wish they wouldn't. They're typical energy-filled boys. I don't know if that translates to being willing to ride the big rides. Any suggestions for what to tell them beforehand?

Our kids love going over hills fast in the van. It makes their stomachs drop, and I think they are going to love the roller coasters at Disneyland. We will find out in 6 weeks.

We're going to Disneyland for their fourth birthday. I'm not sure what they'll be up for. On their third birthday, they were OK with Gadgets Coaster, but scared by Snow White. I think Snow White was more subject matter fright rather the drops etc.

They both revel in jumping off stuff I wish they wouldn't. They're typical energy-filled boys. I don't know if that translates to being willing to ride the big rides. Any suggestions for what to tell them beforehand?

It really helped my daughter when I explained what the ride was like beforehand.
Space mountain is fast and in the dark, but nothing will touch you or jump out at you and it's fun to go fast, right??!! Thunder mountain is just a fast train ride, fun!!
Splash mountain you can just show them the drop and see if they freak out!!
My daughter is a super dare devil and loved all of them, she's been going on Tower of Terror since she was three.

If the measuring bars are accurate, my boys should pass.
Also, remember that we shrink as the day goes on, so if it's close in the morning, it may be a no-go in the afternoon.
This is true, but DOUBLY so when you're visiting a theme park. I was measuring my kid for awhile before we went to a theme park local to us. The last time we went, he wasn't tall enough for some of the rides he wanted to go on, so he kept asking to be measured and have me let him know when he was tall enough. I constructed a device to take accurate measurements, and it measured the same day after day (except for the growth spurts, of course!)

I found that he would lose a half inch in a normal day. Finally, he was more than tall enough and we went to the local park, and he got to ride. I measured him in the morning, and when we got back in the late afternoon, he had lost a little over a whole inch! All that walking around was much more than normal. This is probably why parents have arguments with CMs over the accuracy of the measurements - they 'know' their kid's heights on a normal day, so the stick must be wrong. It might also be worth noting, the doctor office he goes to is often off by 1/2 inch or more because they don't take time to make sure it's dead accurate, and I even visibly saw the height and they rounded up - I've seen many parents complain on forums that their kid measured such and such at the doctor, so Disney's sticks must be wrong.

So take your kid early in the morning, or keep them in the stroller all day :P

our daughter was wearing little dress up shoes with heels (of her own accord) that let her barely hit the limit on one ride. They seemed perfectly fine with that. I've never seen them require people to take their shoes off
I did a bit of research on this last year when we were considering a trip, and my son was right at the edge. The general consensus I gathered from forums is that most CMs, if they see raised shoes in any way, they make the kids take the shoes off and measure with no shoes. But there were a few reports like yours of it working - you got lucky. It's entirely up to the CM. As long as the shoes are normal looking, they get measured with the shoes on.

The same goes for hair - I saw multiple reports of CMs pushing down (and sometimes ruining) hair styles. Also, they would take a park map or something like that, and if they could push it in between the kid's head and the stick, then no ride.

So yes, they are very strict.

Last edited:
I've got two twin boys who are *right* at that 40" limit. With shoes, they stand about 1/2 an inch over 40".
Just a little word of warning - I have seen quite a few reports of people being told at the entrance to the line that their kid is tall enough (using the measuring post at the entrance), only to get up to the front and be turned away because that CM was more strict. And pointing this out and arguing with the CM never made any difference, other than to get on the bad side of the CM. The entrance CM is more of a rough estimate, and likely won't check for tall shoes or hair, etc., and of course can't catch everyone coming through - the CM at the front of the line right before you get on the ride is the ultimate decision maker. So just a little warning that you could wait through the entire line only to be turned away.

The above is a good point. My dd once made it past the first mark at Gadgets, but got rejected at the second measuring. They are so close. Just have them practice standing nice and tall at home and explain that sometimes they might not be able to ride it so they don't get disappointed. As for Space, my dd normally loves that ride, has since she could first ride it, but the halloween version scares her to pieces. She does not like it at all. And she does not scare easily and rides everything at DLR and CAP.

Have a great time!

My DD7 is JUST tall enough for California Screamin'. The first time we went, they measured her, and she passed, but barely. After that, oddly enough, they never attempted to measure her again, in any of the three other times we rode it over the course of three days. As opposed to Indy, where they measured her sometimes twice.

This is all great information. My 8 year old REALLY wants to go on the Grizzly River but his little brother may be just a hair too short. Fortunately we have EMH so we'll hit it first thing in the morning before he has a chance to shrink,

Speaking of hair, he frequently sports a mohawk which adds an inch. If his scalp is under the bar but the mohawk isn't, is there any chance a CM would let him ride?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter