Accident on Dueling Dragons

the article didn't give much information.

hoping the TM is going to be okay.

maybe someone else will come up with more facts about the accident.

That`s terrible, I sure hope the TM is ok....maybe as the day goes on, more info will be available...

since nothing else has been posted about the accident, i 'm hoping and praying the TM is doing fine.

i don't like to hear about injuries as i feel so bad for the person for a long time.

i don't have to know the person, just reading about an accident makes me sad.

There hasn't been much of an update as far as I can tell except the incident happened before the park opened and the ride was closed for a while but is open now.

I searched and Universal is not releasing any info.
Hope the TM is OK!!!

I don't know anything about who was hurt or how he/she was hurt. But at 7:00 AM, the opening lead isn't even cycling the cars so I'm guessing it might be a tech. Techs are the ones who work on the rides for repairs and general maintenance. I too am hoping that everything is fine with the team member.

I read this in the paper too.. my heart is going out to his/her family.. I hope all ends up well .. if anyone hears an update, please post! I will do the same if I hear..

I just looked on the News 13 All Local All News station and this is what they have... so basically, no new news....

ORLANDO -- A Universal Orlando Resort spokesman says an employee was injured Wednesday morning while working at the Dueling Dragons roller coaster.

The accident happened shortly after 7 a.m. at the ride located in the Islands of Adventure theme park. The Orlando Fire Department confirmed they transported the man to Orlando Regional Medical Center in critical condition.

Spokesman Tom Schroder said the ride was closed as they investigate what happened. A representative from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration was on the way from Tampa to look into the accident.

He said the employee was taken to a hospital, but Schroder did not reveal any other details. He said the park is doing everything they can to support the team member.

The Dueling Dragons ride is close to where construction has started on the new Harry Potter attraction.

The ride has reopened to parkgoers

Here is something a poster posted on the News 6 Click Orlando site...doesn't say much about what happened. It was posted less than 15 minutes ago

http://www.clickorlando.com/entertainment/19914756/detail.html

"My husband also works on that ride. He is the one who found him laying on the ground under the ice track. He saw him laying there as he took the coaster for a test ride on the fire side. He then pulled into the brake station yelling to shut the ride down. He then found out it was the lead of his crew."

I just found this on the updated news.. still not really saying what happened but is giving a "most likely".... by an ex worker...

http://www.wftv.com/news/19930253/detail.html

Ex-Worker Gives Insight Into Coaster Accident
Posted: 3:59 pm EDT July 2, 2009
Updated: 5:55 pm EDT July 2, 2009

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A speeding roller coaster hit a Universal Studios worker in the head Wednesday and Thursday a former worker explained how it probably happened. Stuff that fell out of park visitors' pockets may have led to the accident.

Thursday, a Universal Studios roller coaster technician continued fighting for his life after being knocked unconscious by a coaster car. A man, who's done the victim's job before, showed Eyewitness News exactly where it happened and demonstrated the danger.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
911 CALL: Man Calls For Help
WORKER INJURED: See Images | Watch Video
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The former Dueling Dragons technician Eyewitness News talked to doesn't want to be identified, but shot video of the exact place where victim Doug Babcock would have been hit by the coaster.

"It's a point in the high-speed ride where anything in your pocket might be ripped out and thrown to the ground," the former tech said. "Cell phones, iPods, anything you can think of."

Techs are trained to stay clear of the moving ride vehicles, but the former tech told Eyewitness News lost belongings become distracting and the victim was likely picking something up during an inspection, something workers are told not to do.

The victim is still fighting for life and has reportedly gained consciousness at least once, but has multiple fractures to the head.

It's amazing to the man who's stood at the accident spot many times before.

"Someone gets hit at this point, serious injury?" WFTV reporter Steve Barrett asked.

"I would say 90-percent chance of death immediately. If this person is alive, it's miraculous," he said.

The victim is still holding on, though, according to friends who have visited him in the hospital. They say he's even been able to communicate and doctors are evaluating an MRI scan taken Thursday.

The local news said Universal was not commenting on his status. I can understand but it would be nice for those of us who are concerned...you know? :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter