Accessible Rooms?

dreamer66

Earning My Ears
Hi! We have cruised with Disney 7 times but we are now in need of 2 accessible rooms w/a balcony. Can anyone tell me anything about these rooms? Such as how many guests can stay in an accessible room? Where on the ships are they located? Are they really much more expensive than the regular staterooms? o, can this rooms only be booked with the assistance of a booking agent? TIA!

You can book these cabins online. There is a box to check that says "accessible cabins". They are no more expensive that any other cabin in the same category. Where they are, how many guests they hold depends on the ship. Generally they hold between 3 - 5 (depending on the category) and are available as insides, oceanviews, balconies and concierge.

On the Magic and the Wonder, the balconies are mostly at the aft of the ship and it should be no issue to get 2 next to each other on deck 7 (as long as they are not already booked), they are not connecting.

On the Dream and Fantasy, for balconies, you could get two together but they will each connect to a non-accessible stateroom (not to each other), they are located mid ship. The Dream and Fantasy also have many oceanview cabins that are next to each other and these are located forward.

On the official Disney cruise site, there are documents available which tell you what each of the accessible cabins are (how many they hold, what's in the cabin, the accessible features of each).

We have booked HC accessible rooms on several cruises with the folks. We have booked ourselves through DCL. Room 6654 is a verandah room on the Wonder at the very back. (room number and located are same or very similar on the Magic) This room would has a double bed and a sleeper sofa that makes out to a double (or maybe a queen?). There is a very large closet that easy accommodated 2 wheelchairs (folded up) and all the suitcases. The bathroom had grab bars, roll in shower, and I'm pretty sure a tub also. The verandah is huge!! It had a table with 4 chairs and then a couple of loungers. This verandah on the Wonder wraps around to the middle of the back of the ship, joining the verandah for the same set up on the opposite side of the ship. Since the Magic has had the ducktail added at the back I don't know how that has changed the similar rooms configuration.

When we have the folks with us they are in room 6654 and then we book room 6652 for us. These rooms are adjoining but not connecting.

Also, if you need to rent wheelchairs, or any other medical equipment/supplies, for the cruise I would highly recommend Brevard Medical out of Port Canaveral. Great service, fair pricing, and they deliver straight (and pickup) to the terminal for you to use on the cruise.

Hope this helps.

We have taken many Disney cruises and they all had accessible rooms because our son is in a wheelchair. Our next one is on the Fantasy in November. We have an accessible stateroom at the very back of the ship on deck 9. We have found that you cannot pass the housekeeping carts with a wheelchair or scooter in the hallways of the Dream and the Fantasy. The hallways are wider on the Magic and the Dream.

You can google to see other websites that show the layouts of the Disney ships easier than the DCL website does. Also look for trip reports here on The Disboards. There are a few of them about accessible rooms.

Accessible cabins can sell out fast depending on the itinerary. So if you know when you want to do it book it now before they are gone. I agree the carts are a huge hassle to get around for those in a wheelchair on the Dream and Fantasy. In my mind the Magic and Wonder are easier to maneuver around in a chair.

We tried to get a HC accessible cabin on our cruise last December. Even though we booked over 9 months in advance, we were unable to get one. We were on the waitlist but nothing came through. If you truly needs an accessible cabin, I suggest you book a year in advance or more. For us, the cabin we had (oceanview) for 4 people was totally inaccessible. No room to park the wheelchair, would not fit through the door without folding up so my son had to walk or be carried into the cabin. We would not do another Disney cruise unless we could get an accessible cabin. Hallways were impossible to get through if there was a housekeeping cart or a stroller going down the hall. The buffet area on the Wonder was also difficult to manage and try to find a place to sit with the wheelchair. Elevators were impossible. We did have fun, but as I said, if you need an accessible cabin, then book really far in advance to get one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter