Accessible Room -- argh

twinsouvenirs

Mother of Dragons :)
I just checked our reservations for this weekend and it appears that somehow we are in an 'accessible' studio at BWV. I do not think we want this--other than being pregnant, we are both able bodied and I think my DH will be totally weirded out by an accessible bathroom. Any insight? I am on hold with MS-- I am surprised they have it assigned this far out (we don't check in till Friday).

We have had rather bad luck in the past with BWV even though we love the location--last time we were only there for two days but we had plumbing issues and the maintenance staff left dirty paper towels everywhere-- we are relatively new members and I'd really rather my DH doesn't have to deal with a funky room category as well (he is less 'adaptable' than I).

Also before you think I am a needy monster--I am 31 weeks pregnant and I REALLY need my baths!!!! Maybe I can get a Drs note? ;)

The room assigner has assigned your room so the category of room displayed online has changed. Contact MS and request a regular room.

:earsboy: Bill

I did that; they said they are fully booked so unless there is a cancellation they will not be able to move us.... ARGH! We are checking in before noon most likely so hopefully we will get lucky.

SIGH. My daily joy is a bath since I am a whale right now :)

Wow, I would take an accessible room any day. They are generally larger and have much nicer bathrooms.

My only concern would be taking it away from someone that truly needs it.

Most accessible rooms have both a bath and a roll in shower, unless it's a studio.

That stinks! Here's hoping you can get a regular room. :goodvibes

I too like to be able to take a nice long bath in the evenings so I know you're disappointed. We've had an accessible room assigned to us twice and I'm just not a fan of them. It always seems like the shower gets water everywhere and with a child (not as big of a deal now since she's 9), it was a pain in the neck.

I did that; they said they are fully booked so unless there is a cancellation they will not be able to move us.... ARGH! We are checking in before noon most likely so hopefully we will get lucky. SIGH. My daily joy is a bath since I am a whale right now :)

So sorry! We had this happen to us once before and I soak in the tub often also.
I hope you have a great trip otherwise!

Just ask for a switch when you check in. That will be the time when a change can get made - MS doesn't have anything to do with what the resorts assign. As large as BWV is and as early as you are arriving it will probably happen but of course that switches the accessible room to someone else who has not requested one.

Wow, I would take an accessible room any day. They are generally larger and have much nicer bathrooms.

My only concern would be taking it away from someone that truly needs it.

Most accessible rooms have both a bath and a roll in shower, unless it's a studio.
OP has booked a studio. I've had an accessible studio at BWV. It had no closet, no safe and no storage space in the bathroom. It had a roll-in shower (no tub). We avoided the problem of water on the floor by always making sure the hand held sprayer was pointed towards the back of the shower. The shower stall isn't that large inside because the seat (even if folded up) takes up a lot of room.

There was a small wardrobe in the room to make up for the lack of a closet but it was loaded up with the vacuum cleaner, ironing board and pack and play. We had to remove those items and stash them up in one corner of the room so we could hang up some clothes. It kind of ruined the theming in the room to have that stuff out on display in the room the entire trip.

We brought in the small plastic table from the balcony, cleaned it up as best we could and put it in the bathroom so we would have some place to set things down in the bathroom. We made do on that trip but it was a very inconvenient room and I wouldn't want to stay in it again.

If the OP did not request an accessible Room she should request a FREE upgrade if they do not have a studio available at checkin. She booked a normal studio with set amenities. I would not settle for the junk room because they're sold-out.

Be sure to complain to managers if needed.

Please keep us updated and best of luck.

If the OP did not request an accessible Room she should request a FREE upgrade if they do not have a studio available at checkin. She booked a normal studio with set amenities. I would not settle for the junk room because they're sold-out.

Be sure to complain to managers if needed.

Please keep us updated and best of luck.

If you are a DVC member and booked the studio then they can assign you any studio- if it is accessible the hotel can tell you that is all they have and your choice is to leave or take it. You are not guaranteed a nonaccessable room. Personally I wish when they got down to the last couple of rooms left in the resort to book they noted if they were HA and people had to book them if they wanted the resort and than there would not be this issue becuase my feeling is the last person to book a regular room when it is not there should get the HA but if they knew it when they booked they could choose someplace else- of course it would mean website stalkers for the last rooms might have to switch nightly because of changes in HA and not rooms.

Tell them you need a birthing tub if they can't get you a room with a regular one.

Tell them you need a birthing tub if they can't get you a room with a regular one.

HAHAHAHAA I love it :)

I will keep you guys updated. We are indeed in a studio. We booked a loooong time ago (I think originally at 11 mo and then switched to BWK so we could walk to Star Wars Weekends and the World Showcase. And I really swear normally I'm an accept my lot type but it's our first trip without the twins and last trip before the new baby, so it would be reeeaaaaaally nice to have a nice comfy studio with all the normal fixins. It's probably our first and last studio visit for 16+ years.

Thank you all for the advice! We will check in early and beg to be switched.

Side note: the annoying part is that when I first noticed that it said something about HA Accessible on our online check in page yesterday am, I monkeyed with added requests to try to get it to change. Then when I called because it wasn't changing, they said "we booked you in that room to accommodate your requests" and cited the requests I had JUST added in. I felt that was a bit disingenuous. Hoping all works out and I get my stinking baths. If I don't, I hope I can fight the irritation so that it doesn't affect our only foreseeable getaway weekend :)

We checked out of BWV a few days ago and had one of those rooms. My wife was very unhappy, as she too likes to soak in a tub. Overall, the room was crap (most of it had noting to do with being an accessible room).

I'm having trouble with this one. :scratchin

Disney made HA rooms a booking category, not listed separately as far as points go, but listed separately on reservations and in the booking database.

If I booked a BWV, Boardwalk View and a few days before check in the room assigner changed it to a garden view, I would be upset. Changing a reservation to a HA room seems the same to me.

The OP is paying full points and being forced to stay in a modified room, doesn't seem right.

IMO HA rooms should be left empty if not specifically requested. They could be offered to guests not happy with their rooms view or available for last minute reservations.

I think this is a perfect solution!

I'm having trouble with this one. :scratchin

Disney made HA rooms a booking category, not listed separately as far as points go, but listed separately on reservations and in the booking database.

If I booked a BWV, Boardwalk View and a few days before check in the room assigner changed it to a garden view, I would be upset. Changing a reservation to a HA room seems the same to me.

The OP is paying full points and being forced to stay in a modified room, doesn't seem right.

IMO HA rooms should be left empty if not specifically requested. They could be offered to guests not happy with their rooms view or available for last minute reservations.

For the most part with DVC I believe that someone has to get the HA rooms if they are not specifically booked by people who require them and if that is not acceptable then it's probably better to buy a specific unit in a timeshare that is sold that way.

But what I think is very poorly done by DVC is the design of the HA rooms - most specifically in the older resorts. I mean really, what were they thinking? No storage or shelving in the bathrooms? Because people who require HA rooms don't have toiletries? Huh? Or no safes? Because they do not care to lock up valuables? Huh? From what I've seen they have at least done some improvements on the HA design in the newer resorts and personally I think that when they are doing room renovations in the older resorts they also ought to update to newer standards and designs for the HA rooms. That won't mean adding tubs to rooms that are fully accessible with roll in showers but there are easy things that can be done so that the rooms are not so dramatically different and that are also improvements for those that need the design differences. Frankly - these rooms have design issues for everyone.

Handicap rooms are required under federal law. Disney sold total points int he resorts based upon those rooms. If they were to sit empty unless specifically requested, Disney could be taken to court for illegally "overselling" the resort. Thus, basically, members that do not need them do have a chance of being placed in them. It is not a "booking category" but under newer ADA rules, those that need them must be able to book them if available so they are held until all the other rooms are booked, I assume.

Handicap rooms are required under federal law. Disney sold total points int he resorts based upon those rooms. If they were to sit empty unless specifically requested, Disney could be taken to court for illegally "overselling" the resort. Thus, basically, members that do not need them do have a chance of being placed in them. It is not a "booking category" but under newer ADA rules, those that need them must be able to book them if available so they are held until all the other rooms are booked, I assume.

The HC rooms are listed in a separate booking section online and the specifics of the room booked shows up under my vacations just like a category, thus my comment.

The way that I see it is that the points were sold but that doesn't mean that the room has to be occupied, there are times when rooms sit empty. If Disney wanted to save the HC rooms for people who needs them and/or not force a member to stay in a room that isn't standard but has been modified, they could find a way to do it.

I bet that HC rooms are seldom assigned to cash guests who don't want them.

I bet that HC rooms are seldom assigned to cash guests who don't want them.

Cash guests don't already own the HA units, DVC members do. Disney cash rooms can sit empty if they wish. But for DVC, in theory Disney would need to control enough points to hold all the HA units as well as have extra units on hand for maintenance/rehab issues. Again, that would mean they would have fewer points they'd be able to sell at a DVC resort, else it would leave them open to an oversell lawsuit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter