Accessible Playgrounds at WDW?

MightyMom

DIS Veteran
To my shock and dismay, Disney World does not have a single accessible playground at any of the resort hotels.

I have not actually VISITED every single resort hotel playground, but I did call the "Guests with special needs line" and after about 45 minutes the poor girl (bless her heart) came to the conclusion that an accessible playground did not exist on WDW properties.

That is really disappointing to me.

For those of us with young children who are differently-abled, I'm sure you can share my frustration when taking your child to the park. Most times you can't even get to the playground structure because it is nearly impossible to get the wheelchair in or out of the woodchips or gravel covering the ground.

When you do get there, only steps lead onto the equipment.... there is no way a walker or wheelchair can be taken on.

There are no swings with high backs. No sensory play equipment for visually impaired. No sand-tables to play in rather than sandboxes.

I avoid the playgrounds now.

But.... I have co-founded a non profit group and we are trying to build a barrier free park in our area.

I figured WDW MUST have an accessible playground I could visit. My son would love it and I could do some research.

As I mentioned before, I was shocked and dismayed that one did not exist at any of the resort hotels even though each of them has a playground.

I have written letters to many WDW officials and I eagerly await a reply.

I'll let you know what happens.

Perhaps the woman who helped me was misinformed..... does one exist that she was not aware of?

Thanks!

My DD is older than playground age, so I haven't really visited any of the playgrounds at WDW, but my guess is that you are probably correct.
Thanks for the letter writing campaign.

Can you child leave his wheelchair? In MK there is Pooh's Thoughtful Spot and a wheelchair can easily enter it. Although everything will not be accessible some of it will. If he can leave the wheelchair and walk a bit he can have a blast there. One of MJ's favorite past times is playing there.

MightyMom said:
To my shock and dismay, Disney World does not have a single accessible playground at any of the resort hotels.

For those of us with young children who are differently-abled, I'm sure you can share my frustration when taking your child to the park. Most times you can't even get to the playground structure because it is nearly impossible to get the wheelchair in or out of the woodchips or gravel covering the ground.

When you do get there, only steps lead onto the equipment.... there is no way a walker or wheelchair can be taken on.

There are no swings with high backs. No sensory play equipment for visually impaired. No sand-tables to play in rather than sandboxes.

I avoid the playgrounds now.

Thanks!

Should it surprise you that the designers of a theme park would not think of the need for accessible playgrounds when such a mobility-based activity is beyond the capability of most mobility-challenged children? City planners can't even get it into their heads that the ADA requires equal access so that adults in wheelchairs can shop. What chance does a kid in a wheelchair have to expect an accessible playground?
:confused3

I agree that it is surprising that WDW does not have accessible playgrounds. Overall, I think that WDW is a WONDERFUL place for my special boys, but we have noticed the playgrounds at the resorts. We have just stayed away from them, unfortunately.

Good luck on building an accessible playground in your area. My wife and I led the charge for that in our kids' school in Minnesota 3 years ago. There now stands a wonderful playground that all kids can enjoy. It's a great feeling to get that playground built.

Wade

videogal1 said:
Should it surprise you that the designers of a theme park would not think of the need for accessible playgrounds when such a mobility-based activity is beyond the capability of most mobility-challenged children? City planners can't even get it into their heads that the ADA requires equal access so that adults in wheelchairs can shop. What chance does a kid in a wheelchair have to expect an accessible playground?
:confused3

I am not (yet, anyway) so jaded to believe that I live in a country where a loud enough voice can't make a difference. So I will talk, shout, scream and stomp my feet until I make a difference, regardless of how small.

I certainly don't expect those who have never delt with a mobility issue to understand. Afterall, before I had a child with cerebral palsy I never gave a thought to accessible playgrounds, wheelchair ramps or handicap parking. I lived in my own little bubble. Life was simpler then..... but so much more rewarding now.

For whatever reason, it DOES surprise me that a theme park so accessible and accomodating overlooked such a simple thing.

It is my hope one day playgrounds will be built for children off all abilities.... perhaps that's naive......but like I said before..... I'm not jaded yet.

Wade Shrader said:
I agree that it is surprising that WDW does not have accessible playgrounds. Overall, I think that WDW is a WONDERFUL place for my special boys, but we have noticed the playgrounds at the resorts. We have just stayed away from them, unfortunately.

Good luck on building an accessible playground in your area. My wife and I led the charge for that in our kids' school in Minnesota 3 years ago. There now stands a wonderful playground that all kids can enjoy. It's a great feeling to get that playground built.

Wade

That's great to hear! It's very encouraging to know someone fought and won! Do you know what company manufactured the playground?

Fortunately where I live ( Lakeland, Florida) there are accessible playgrounds in several parks including the baseball park where I also co-founded the Challenger baseball league and worked with training the high-school buddies for each child. At WDW I was also shocked to find out that the petting zoo at Ft. Wilderness is not accessible either- only by people expressing a need and desire for these things will anyone's eyes be opened and if the bean counters hear from enough people, maybe things will change. I also hope for the best and make myself "heard". ---Kathy

I was also thinking of GKTW village where there is an accessible playground, etc. that WDW is involved with....why couldn't something similar be replicated at the resorts, even if it's a smaller scale? There is so much use and enjoyment of the facilities there. With a focus on compassion for children in the hearts of those at Disney, then all children's needs should be included. More and more people with disabled family members are travelling and unfortunately it's not until our dollars are valued that we have an impact on a business....even though "business" shouldn't always be the focus of a decision.---Kathy

dclfun said:
I was also thinking of GKTW village where there is an accessible playground, etc. that WDW is involved with....why couldn't something similar be replicated at the resorts, even if it's a smaller scale? There is so much use and enjoyment of the facilities there. With a focus on compassion for children in the hearts of those at Disney, then all children's needs should be included. More and more people with disabled family members are travelling and unfortunately it's not until our dollars are valued that we have an impact on a business....even though "business" shouldn't always be the focus of a decision.---Kathy

Kathy,
ITA
My first thought was perhaps Disney Could put an accessible playground in at FW. Lots of families go to FW to see the ponies, dine at one of the dinner shows or partake in Chip and Dale campfire.

They have a lot of land there and could build a really cool playground there.

I will join in the campaign to bring an accessible playground to Disney!

I don't have children anymore ( mine are now all young adults) but I will certainly join in the letter-writing campaign. I was always at the ballfield with my kids in Little League and as my career was as an Occupational Therapist I often looked for barriers to access. My first goal at the ballpark was to have accessible bathrooms..that was done. It also bothered me that children with disabilities sat on the sidelines and watched other's play. With the help of another mother ( who had a disabled son) we started the Challenger League. BTW Disney, through a grant program to which I had applied, donated 1K for accessible dugouts. We had other donations for special equipment, recruited and trained buddies and our league was started. Seven years ago there were two teams for all of Polk County...now there are six teams and alot of enthusiasm. The kids and young adults who participate and their parents look forward to it every year as do those of us who enjoy watching them play! We also got the accessible playground put in at the front of the park, complete with wheelchair accessible swings and accessible play equipment and structures. Grass-roots efforts do work as long as there are people willing to put in the time and effort and to CARE. ---Kathy

I'm so glad to find some support on this issue. I know it's not a huge issue... but it's important nonetheless.

I've always believed I have to be the one to advocate for my son. If I don't, who will?

Hasbro is a big sponsor of Boundless Playgrounds. If you buy any Hasbro toys there is sometimes a little brochure inside about Boundless Playgrounds.
I also know that Hasbro is a sponsor at Star Wars Weekends. (Darth Tater) I really think a partnership would be easy and a playground could be built rather simply.

Thank you for your help in the letter writing campaign.

It is my hope that one day parks will be built for children of all abilities. Handicap accessible parks will not be the exception, but the standard. No child should have to sit on the sidelines and watch their friends and siblings play.

I believe that the playground at AK may be accessible.

It is surprisinhg that in this day and age, little is understood. We have been dealing with these issues for our citizens and families since the Civil War (100+ years ago).

MightyMom said:
I'm so glad to find some support on this issue. I know it's not a huge issue... but it's important nonetheless.

I've always believed I have to be the one to advocate for my son. If I don't, who will?

Hasbro is a big sponsor of Boundless Playgrounds. If you buy any Hasbro toys there is sometimes a little brochure inside about Boundless Playgrounds.
I also know that Hasbro is a sponsor at Star Wars Weekends. (Darth Tater) I really think a partnership would be easy and a playground could be built rather simply.

Thank you for your help in the letter writing campaign.

It is my hope that one day parks will be built for children of all abilities. Handicap accessible parks will not be the exception, but the standard. No child should have to sit on the sidelines and watch their friends and siblings play.

Yes!!! I just found out last week that they donated a $350,000 grant to build a boundless playground in my area. We live a few towns over from the park, but I will make the trek, its worth it!!!! Of course its in Longmeadow Ma which is where the main plant is and it is dedicated to the long time now retired president of the hasbro games segment. I'm pretty excited about this and am looking forward to taking my dd6 who is in a wheelchair there in a couple weeks. I have never experienced a park like this, and am thirlled that there is somewhere I can take her semi-local to play! Its a sore spot with me also that Disney has none, count me in for a letter writing campaigne!!! If someone has an address where to send the letters, I would love it if you could pm me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter