• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Accepted offer - now the waiting is killing me

MagicKingdomMommy80

Mouseketeer
Hi All,
We recently decided to buy resale and I'm super excited that we had an offer accepted last Monday. Of course I signed all the papers and had the contract emailed back by Tuesday but I haven't heard anything about whether or not the seller sent the paperwork back. I'm hoping to be able to make a reservation for Marathon weekend in Jan once I get my points. Does anyone know how busy that weekend is normally for DVC and what you think the likelihood of having my points by early June?

You should unless something goes wrong. I just sent my contract back Thursday then went into ROFR yesterday. My estimated closing is April 14 and I should have my points first part of May.

Hi All,
We recently decided to buy resale and I'm super excited that we had an offer accepted last Monday. Of course I signed all the papers and had the contract emailed back by Tuesday but I haven't heard anything about whether or not the seller sent the paperwork back. I'm hoping to be able to make a reservation for Marathon weekend in Jan once I get my points. Does anyone know how busy that weekend is normally for DVC and what you think the likelihood of having my points by early June?

You will probably find something, but it may be difficult to get all the days you need in one villa. Marathon is pretty popular with members.

Thanks! I don't mind doing a split stay. It'll give us a chance to explore different resorts :-). I'm hoping for a 2-bdrm AKV SV for race weekend and a studio somewhere for another 4 or so days after the marathon.

Some of our early vacations when new to DVC were split across several resorts...and we thoroughly enjoyed them. If it's a short vacation, you'll spend a lot of time moving to the next resort...and on busy periods (of which marathon IS!), you stand a good chance of checking OUT by 11 a.m. and finding your new room isn't ready till 4 or even later. Being a "half-full" guy AND planning for this can still make it enjoyable if you're aware of the bumps in the road (sorry for the metaphor-mixing). Pack a change of clothing and/or swimsuits in a small bag and go enjoy the pool(s) or a park.

Splitting a vacation among resorts works best for us on the long stays. 3 weeks in October for Food & Wine. We begin at Boardwalk or BCV, then wrap up our last week at VWL where we can relax, go more slowly and recover.

Welcome, you have many years of gathering wonderful memories ahead of you!!!

I think we are looking at similar timelines for closing, ours went to rofr on 02/18/2014. If we pass rofr and close in April do you think we will be able to make a reservation at what is to be our home resort AKV for june 29th?

I think we are looking at similar timelines for closing, ours went to rofr on 02/18/2014. If we pass rofr and close in April do you think we will be able to make a reservation at what is to be our home resort AKV for june 29th?

It is likely but not certain that you will be able to string one and two day splits together, in order to make the trip with DVC.

But forget about what resort you prefer if you're booking around sixty days out from travel. Just book whatever room and resort you can get, as soon as you are able.

Be aware that inside sixty days from travel, DVC can take back rooms from member inventory and sell them to cash guests. This is referred to as "breakage" and means that if DVC has demand for rooms for cash guests and the members haven't claimed them, they can rent them out.

You will have literally decades to use your AKV booking advantage to stay there, so don't be upset if it doesn't work out this close to these trip dates.

Congratulations! (premature - sellers still have work to do and ROFR and . . . . )

We closed on BWV (Aug UY) a couple of weeks ago - waiting for our membership package. We could call MS to get the membership #s but we're not in that big a hurry - we're just banking the 2013 points.

You can also do what we did - rent points for your planned trip in Jan (for us the Oct 2014 trip), then rent out your points once you receive them - you don't have to worry about the timing (you will be ahead of the 7 month window for Jan - just need to rent from someone with points from BWV) and may have a better shot at availability for what you want.

You may lose a couple $$s per point, but have a better shot at getting exactly what you want. Or you may just then use those points for another vacation (likely what we'll do when push comes to shove - I need better discipline)

Finally we went into the ROFR stage yesterday! I'm already looking for a small add-on as the first contract is only 100 pts. I WILL hold myself back from adding on until after we get through ROFR however...(I hope). My only slight worry is when we did the Disney DVC presentation in Jan of this year, the salesperson said that resales would soon only be able to book at their home resort. I wouldn't mind staying at OKW once in a while but I want to stay other places too. I would hate for that to go into effect during the purchase process or even retroactively in the future. What do people think the odds are of that?

Finally we went into the ROFR stage yesterday! I'm already looking for a small add-on as the first contract is only 100 pts. I WILL hold myself back from adding on until after we get through ROFR however...(I hope). My only slight worry is when we did the Disney DVC presentation in Jan of this year, the salesperson said that resales would soon only be able to book at their home resort. I wouldn't mind staying at OKW once in a while but I want to stay other places too. I would hate for that to go into effect during the purchase process or even retroactively in the future. What do people think the odds are of that?

Slim/None.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter