Accents

I'm awful at doing accents, and though I can usually tell a person's country, I certainly can't get down to a regional differentiation. However, when I was growing up my parents were friends with a number of English and Scottish transports. As such, I'm able to understand British folk with strong accents when they come over here better than most people around here. On a cruise a few years ago, DH and I were the only Americans at the table. He, for the life of him, could not understand our English companions half the time and I had to sneakily translate for him. This happens a lot too, when watching British TV. Sometimes I'll be laughing so hard at something that's said I can't tell him what it was and he'll just keep rewinding and replaying it and getting more frustrated until I manage to calm down.

From my observation I find most people are not able to pull off Scottish accents without sounding corny. They just overdo it by a country-mile. And then there's the difference between a west and east coast Scottish accent which is quite apparent when you live in the country.

Also, guys and gals, the English don't have a 'british' accent, they have an 'English' accent. (Will you guys never learn?) :laughing: :thumbsup2

I can tell most East Coast Southern accent apart, and can tell which part of NC a person is from, and sometimes even what town. But I can't copy accents at all.

DH works all over Europe and has gotten good at distinguishing those accents.

DD has been in speech therapy for years, and one of the side effects is that she can mimic absolutely anyone from anywhere. She probably could grow up to do voice work for cartoons.

I can usually tell what state or part of the country a person is from by one word. The only people I cannot tell as easily are military brats, the ones who have travelled from place to place, and people who've studied speech.

I can spot people by their accent here in Italy. Definite difference between southern and northern and those closer to France tend to have a French accent. It sounds strange.

I can tell the difference between an English, Irish, and Australian. I can't tell which part of the country they are from though.

I also can usually tell if someone is from Tennessee (especially eastern TN) and Texas as well as Louisiana and Mississippi. Those accents stand out to me.

I grew up in SE Massachusetts and have lived in the Midwest for 19+ years. I can usually discern what part of NE they're from. To my husband, a native Californian, they all sound the same.

When I first moved here people thought I was from New York, I guess I have become flatter with age, as now no one here thinks I speak with an accent. :rotfl:

Also, guys and gals, the English don't have a 'british' accent, they have an 'English' accent. (Will you guys never learn?) :laughing: :thumbsup2

Pah............militant celts !! :lmao:

And I can do both a Glasgow/ Lanarkshire pass off and an east coast Edinburgh/ Fife pass off

My sister in law was at school with Elaine C Smith in Motherwell

But for the Glasgow one I do require a jimmy bonnet with red hair :lmao:

( Gregor Fisher anyone??)

I'm pretty good..I was born in London-DH in Liverpool. Thank God he lost his accent..but wow when we visit he sure can slip back into it fast!
I can do many accents-I am told! Indian lol..Liverpool, British of course-even like the Queen:lmao: Pretty much most of them. I did a German one a couple of weeks back and someone asked if that was my ancestry hehe... I don't know why-but they really come easily?

I've got a strong Jersey accent.
Yet I can do a British accent with no problem.
I've picked up a Canadian accent from watching too much degrassi.

Never watched Degrassi..is it East coast? That's really the only place that they have accents? And I don't say 'eh' ever!!!!!!!;)

Never watched Degrassi..is it East coast? That's really the only place that they have accents? And I don't say 'eh' ever!!!!!!!;)

It's set in Toronto. The only accent I've noticed is the way everyone says "out, about, house" etc. So that's the only thing I've picked up on.

I can't do accents at all but my brother can do them very convincingly. While at a drive-up window at McDonalds he was speaking in his best Russian accent. He was trying to sell the McDonalds employee a mail order bride but the man just kept saying "no thank you" very politely. He thought my brother was serious.

It's set in Toronto. The only accent I've noticed is the way everyone says "out, about, house" etc. So that's the only thing I've picked up on.

Well-on the East coast is where they say those words a 'certain way' soo I imagine it is based on them??:confused3

If you are a 'scouser' can you do the hard 'k' sound or when you say the word Chicken does it come out as Chicchen?

As a Scouser, the Americans will not recognise your accent as British. More often than not I am taken for Australian as well. The expected 'British' accent is a type of mockney or mock cockney. Every time an American tries to do a Britsh accent they end up sounding like Dick Van-**** in Mary Poppins, where his accent actually spans a range of mockney to Geordie with a dash of Strine.

Yeah... I'm a scouser. That's lot's of fun. :rolleyes: I think maybe 1 person I've met over here has placed me as English without help (and even then they were an Everton fan :confused3)

ETA: When people say they can do a "British" accent, what do you mean? I'm yet to hear a convincing British accent (from anywhere in Britain) or an Australian one. Usually it just involves someone saying the word "mate" a lot.

I can do accents if I don't think about it. IOW, if I'm just playing around and feel like doing an accent, I can do one. But if I think about, then I cannot do one word...

ETA: When people say they can do a "British" accent, what do you mean? .

Heh, yeah, this gets me as well.

I think they mean a typical 'English' accent. If it is a man making the attempt, they usually try and do a type of mockney accent. aka the Mary Poppins thing or they do a type of 'Home Counties' received pronounciation 'BBC' accent, John Cleese would be a fair example

If it is a woman making the attempt, they usually try to imitate Liz Hurley............and she has a good type of middle class educated 'home counties' accent

So my guess is that it is only the 'Home Counties' middle class and mock Cockney that are recognised as 'British' or more correctly 'English' accents.

I am a Tyke and as such my vowel sounds are all long and flat, together with odd sentence structure and a smattering of old Norse words. One of the best broadcasters with a generic Tyke accent would be the late great Fred Trueman of Yorkshire and England

For Scouse, I guess Paul O'Grady is a good example of working class Liverpool-Irish Scouse
For Manc.............Liam and Noel Gallagher do pretty good council estate Manc

West Midlands, Wolverhampton.........Noddy Holder or for Dudley........Lenny Henry when he lays it on thick

I am a Tyke and as such my vowel sounds are all long and flat, together with odd sentence structure and a smattering of old Norse words. One of the best broadcasters with a generic Tyke accent would be the late great Fred Trueman of Yorkshire and England

That's one of my favorite things. That you can't just say "Yorkshire". I can't tell people I'm just from "Liverpool" because no-one knows where it is! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter