• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

abuse of the GAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catwales2003

Earning My Ears
Okay so I wouldn't normally rant or let this affect me, but today it really wound me up.

Im at the Animal Kingdom park right now and was amazed by what I just saw. A family of 7 or 8 at the enterance to Kali river rapids with a family member in a wheelchair with a GAC. Now at this point to lady in the wheelchair with the GAC had no intention of riding and was waiting outside of the ride for the family. Once a family member saw that there was a 60 minute wait a comment was heard 'why don't we use that card and take Mom through with us'. So this family are right ahead of us at this point (after pushing through a crowd of people holding the GAC up proudly in the air). I dont know if anyone has guessed yet what was about to happen....

So we get to the wheelchair/ scooter parking area of the ride and guess what. All family members go running down the bridge to join the end of the que leaving poor old mum and her GAC in the wheelchair holding area.

I brought this to the cast members attention, whose response was 'thats fine they can still use the GAC even if she doesn't want to ride' apparently it's always been this way!

This family had no shame at all, even when challenged!

I have an 'invisible' disability and use a GAC when needed but try to utilise FP as much as possible. This sort of abuse really gets under my skin.

Try not to let it ruin your day. Obviously it sucks that people abuse the system, but don't let it be worse by making you upset when you are on vacation. I've been there and try really hard to not let stuff like that bother me because you only have so much time at WDW and it sucks if you spend some of it mad.

I'll add that I have YO Parkinson's. I have not needed to use a GAC yet, but it does bother me that people abuse something that others legitimately need. I try not to let it bother me when I'm there though. Those people aren't worth ruining my mood over. Plus, I don't see blatant abuses like that very often and I don't judge others on appearance since I know that I would be judged if I needed one.

... I brought this to the cast members attention, whose response was 'thats fine they can still use the GAC even if she doesn't want to ride' apparently it's always been this way! ...

Actually, the CM is wrong. The GAC specifically names one person and that person is expected to ride any time the GAC is utilized. And there is a limit of 6 people (5 plus the person with the GAC) who can use it together.

That said...what any one CM allows to happen at any given ride any given time is up to the CM. You can report it to Guest Relations - along with the CM's name, time, ride and whatever details you can remember. The CM needs re-training. And that is true of many CMs - CMs like that are as much at fault for the "abuse" that happens as the guests who take advantage of such situations.

That kind of abuse of the GAC really upsets us also. I like the term you used, "Invisible Disability" My wife has a vision disability but it isn't apparent by just looking at her. She has severe night blindness and her vision doesn't function normally in any sort of low light situation. Because of this, she needs assistance making her way through some of the lines. We have used a GAC card in the past but have gotten a lot of dirty looks from folks because they think we are trying to cheat the system. Like you, for the most part we just try to use Fast Passes instead.

Actually, the CM is wrong. The GAC specifically names one person and that person is expected to ride any time the GAC is utilized. And there is a limit of 6 people (5 plus the person with the GAC) who can use it together.

That said...what any one CM allows to happen at any given ride any given time is up to the CM. You can report it to Guest Relations - along with the CM's name, time, ride and whatever details you can remember. The CM needs re-training. And that is true of many CMs - CMs like that are as much at fault for the "abuse" that happens as the guests who take advantage of such situations.
Judy is correct.
It is meant to be used only for the things the person whose name is on it will actually be going on.

That is an attraction that is actually quite easy most of the time for anyone to go on with little wait - if you know when to go. By late afternoon most days, AK clears out and the standby line is boarding pretty much as fast as people can walk thru the line.

I am in total agreement with you. I also use a GAC for what you call an "Invisible Condition". I have a considerable amount of arthritis in my back and neck. Walking is not usually to much of a problem but, standing can be quite painful, even after I take several pain pills. We make sure that we do not misuse the card. If it is a ride that I just cannot take, like some of the roller-coasters, then my wife an daughters wait in line like everyone else, and I find a seat. People that abuse the cards are going to cause problems for the rest of us.

THIS is why they are re-vamping the GAC. We use one too .. my son is disabled .. and have witnessed others abusing it. It really irks me that people do this and risk the possibility of ruining it for those of us who use it sparingly.

That is total abuse of the gac. My mother gets one but we still pull fast passes for any and all rides. There are some rides with different access entrances and you MIGHT get on a little quicker but the last time I went we still had to wait our turn.

I agree that it is infuriating when you see flagrant abuse of the GAC cards. For me it is even more frustrating when you see CMs that take the easy way out and permit it (as in the case the OP described).

Unfortunately, for now, this falls squarely in the 'nothing new' category. Hopefully Disney will come up SOON with a reworked GAC system. I like the way they do it at Tokyo Disney- it makes it fair for everyone and makes it much less attractive to cheaters since they can't get FOL access.

What ticks me off the most about hearing about these things is that eventually, those who desperately rely on the GAC's for legitimate reasons are going to have a much more difficult time on their vacation. There just seems to be no way that Disney can properly clamp down on this and it is really unfair on those who need it :(

Taking out the improper use of the GAC there is allot of jealously over this topic. I was at DW two years ago during Christmas week the amount of people that use a GAC has a very minimal effect on wait times. Life is not fair, some people have special needs children while some people need to wait 2 more minutes in a DW line. Get over it.

Taking out the improper use of the GAC there is allot of jealously over this topic. I was at DW two years ago during Christmas week the amount of people that use a GAC has a very minimal effect on wait times. Life is not fair, some people have special needs children while some people need to wait 2 more minutes in a DW line. Get over it.

Where did anyone complain about the legitimate use of GACs on this thread? The OP referred to blatant and obvious abuse. I don't really understand what they should get over.

That kind of abuse of the GAC really upsets us also. I like the term you used, "Invisible Disability" My wife has a vision disability but it isn't apparent by just looking at her. She has severe night blindness and her vision doesn't function normally in any sort of low light situation. Because of this, she needs assistance making her way through some of the lines. We have used a GAC card in the past but have gotten a lot of dirty looks from folks because they think we are trying to cheat the system. Like you, for the most part we just try to use Fast Passes instead.

I'm visually impaired and feel for you. I also have other disabilities, but rarely if ever would ask for a GAC, due to being intimidated by some folks. I also have an AP and when I got a GAC a week ago they gave it to me for 2 weeks, said come back and renew it, and it would soon be added to my RFID AP. I almost jumped for joy, if I could jump LOL

As far as the mis-users go, I feel for the poor relative in the wheelchair, who they just dumped off. That person should feel the most aggrieved, OK so just use me, drop me off, and run on the line!

As this topic is a hot button I will close it before it goes the way of past threads and heads south.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter