Absolutely appaulled at Disney !!!

StephenKay

DVC Member VWL 2001
I have just read the Mousesavers update on the Disney Armed Forces Salute.

Being a UK citizen with a husband who has just returned from serving in the War against Iraq with the US armed forces in Qatar, I am absolutely appaulled and very, very disappointed at Disney restricting the thanks with the Armed Forces Salute and restricting it to US military only.

I am sure I read somewhere that we were a coalition force and that the US and the UK were standing firm together with our continuing War against terrorism. Apparently Disney doesn't think so !!!

I am a DVC member and visit WDW every year on our annual vacation for 2 weeks. We were getting so excited when we noticed that Sea World, Busch Gardens and Universal were extending thanks to the "coalition forces" with free tickets and were waiting patiently to see what "thanks" Disney were going to offer.

I am so angry and stuck for words that I may expand this at a later stage.

Mary Kay
British Forces wife

Mary I am sorry Disney is doing this. I would suggest you email Disney with your thoughts. It may give Disney a nudge to extend the offer to coalition forces.

I feel bad for you:( ,Seaworld was far more fair. If you click on the link you will also realize that it is not the entire US military. Only active duty and activated reserves. My DH is active reserves and worked almost 2 extra months this year to train and deploy soldiers. They were "extra days" and he was not on orders. He is also doing extra weekends this month to demobilize soldiers. But he does not qualify either. I'm thankful we got FL seasonal passes at no tax base prices and can stay in CR at SOG prices at least. I know you can't even get this. I do sympathize and think you should be included.

Thanks very much for your reply. I am sorry that your husband did not qualify either, especially when he certainly has done his part as well.

I can see the point in restricting some people, but men and women who actively took part in this war should be included whether at home or actually in the Gulf.

A lot of people will benefit from this who shouldn't.

Mary Kay
Wife of

Sounds like Disney ought to reconsider for the Brits, Aussies and any other active coalition members! You always attract more flies with honey than vinegar... right?

I would think that Disney would extend their offer to the coalition troops.... it seems only fair to me... please email Disney and tell them how you feel......:)

i think it is also wrong...we should all e-mail disney to INCLUDE ALL coalition partners...we have meet so many brits @ disney and they are wonderfull people!....my 2 cents

Thanks for your support. This is one of the reasons why we love Disney and Americans, we all get on so well and you are quite a bunch of lovely people.

Pity Disney doesn't think so at this moment.

It's not the money, we have already bought our 10 Day World passes, so wouldn't be taking up the offer anyway, it's just the principle of the thing. My husband risked his life in the Gulf too just the same as the US troops.

I have just phoned guest services and am emailing them to complain.

Please feel free to complain too:-

email: wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Mary Kay
wife of

I have to agree, email Disney and let them know how you feel...that is terrible though that they don't include all coalition troops!

I also believe you should e-mail disney with your concern. I think they would be more than happy to at least listen and if not be able to help you now....take the advice for future consideration.

By the way...thank you to you and your husband

I am hoping that this was just a misfortunate oversight on the part of the Disney Corporation, and that if enough people write and bring it to their attention, all military personnel who served, or who had a part, whether here or abroad will be recognized. By this, I mean the coalition forces, the reserves, who will likely not be activated by the time they are able to take advantage of this, and those who are still overseas and may not be back by December 19th.

Please write and voice your concerns so the men and women who fought the war with Suddam and against terror will be recognized and included!

Hope to see you all at WDW this year!:)

I just posted this situation on the Debate board -- with all of the activists over there, maybe we can get a little email campaign going on your behalf!:D

I just emailed Disney and replied to keep this thread bumped up in this forum so more folks could voice their opinion to Disney.

I'm very thankful for the support and sacrifice of our closest and most consistent ally. I think you should certainly let Disney know that you believe this discount should be extended further. However, I don't think you should take offense at the limits set on the discounts. Nobody is "entitled" to this offer; I'm appreciative that Disney has chosen to offer any discount at all.

Should I be "appalled" that my father cannot take advantage of this discount, although he served 28 years in the Air Force, and had to live away from his children during his tours in Vietnam and Greenland? Or that my sister, a civilian DoD employee, does not qualify, although she was in the Pentagon on 9/11, just yards away from where her colleagues perished? Give Disney a break.

Mary Kay,

I'm going to do two things. First, I'm going to agree with DancingBear and say I don't think Disney owes anyone this offer. I personally hope you'll not continue to take umbrage with Disney. I'd like to think they meant this gesture in the purest sense, but in the end, as a business, it was probably a good press release, you know? Which I don't hold against them. In the end, they're a business, and they're there to make money.

The second thing I'm going to do (and have just done) is email Disney. I don't see this as any gross mismanagement on their part or any disrespect to our allies, but I do see it as an oversight. I'd like to thank your husband for serving in the Gulf, and I'd like to thank you and your family for the sacrifices you made while he did so! Here's hoping Disney adjusts its policy (I've got a hunch they will). I just hate to turn Disney into the devil.

Pat

How about honoring Shades of Green rates on an unlimited basis to qualified military families at other resorts when SOG is sold out.

How about full refunds on unused Disney packages when military orders force change of vacation plans?

These would be better than just reduced price or free admissions.

Also, benefits extended to military families should be available for at least 2 years after the last person returns stateside although limiting the number of uses per family is OK.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Originally posted by Mary Kay, wife of Stephen Kay:
A lot of people will benefit from this who shouldn't.
Who are you referring to in this statement?

Whether or not it is morally right of WDW to offer the discounts to coalition servicepeople, it is certainly good business to do so.

They have been complaining all over the place about how European visitors have been staying away this year. I can't think of a better way to jump-start that market than by offering special admission to coalition military and their families. Most Europeans come for VERY long trips compared to Americans; WDW will more than get their money's worth in add'l purchases.

I appreciate this offer from Disney so much, but I do agree that it would SO SPECTACULAR of them to show gratitude to the coalition service people. Now that would be SO CLASSY. It's so hard to say that we should EXPECT anything from them though. I can't do that. I can just HOPE that they will extend the well deserved gesture.

BRAVO DISNEY!!!!!

Originally posted by JOC
Originally posted by Mary Kay, wife of Stephen Kay:

Who are you referring to in this statement?

I was wondering the same thing.

I'm kind of sorry now that I bothered to e-mail WDW and ask them to reconsider their decision...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter