Above ground pools that are "sunk in"?

Papa Deuce

<font color="red">BBQ loving, fantasy football pla
I think the only way my girls are going to learn to swim is if they have a reasonable sized pool that they can be in a lot. We've done the YMCA 8 week swimming courses 2x now, and they are no better off than before they started, except that maybe they are less fearful now...

Anyway, we are looking at these above ground pools that get sunk in the ground most of the way. They take a 52" high pool and sink in about 42" deep.

Anybody have that, and what do you think about them? Any recommendations regarding filtration? The pool store is recommending something called the "frog system".

I've never had a pool before - one of any real size - and I really don't know anything about them. Heck, I'm not even sure I want one, but I do want my daughters to learn how to swim.

Any and all thoughts welcome.

We have an above-ground pool that is only sunk in about 24 in. on one side (sloping yard). I wish we had sunk it deeper, but the pool store and installer were worried about the sides collapsing if it went much deeper. Since then , some of our neighbors have sunk them like you're describing and have had no problems. But - I'd check that out per your soil conditions.

We have an above-ground pool that is only sunk in about 24 in. on one side (sloping yard). I wish we had sunk it deeper, but the pool store and installer were worried about the sides collapsing if it went much deeper. Since then , some of our neighbors have sunk them like you're describing and have had no problems. But - I'd check that out per your soil conditions.

Yeah, they sell 2 brands of pools. One is only warranteed to 24". The other is good to 48" deep.

We had the same problem with swimming lessons but we took a less committed (and expensive) approach and went with an inflatable ring top pool. The girls made huge progress last summer. They can still touch the bottom but they are now much, much more confident in the water - especially with swimming under water.

Papa, do you want the girls to be able to play in water above their heads? Or do you want them to actually learn to swim a proper stroke? If you just want them to be able to play without fear of sinking, then I'd say go with a backyard pool.

But, if you want them to do a proper freestyle stroke, then put them on a swim team. With my kids, the lessons were too passive. But, with swim team, it was "go go go" and their strokes improved 1000% percent because they were motivated to be like the "big" kids. (8+ :laughing: ) Generally speaking, a 5 or 6 yo really only needs to be able to do one length of the pool in a breastroke style in order to make a "rec" swim team, like at the Y.

As for your question, I've seen the half-buried pools and thought they looked nice. If you have an HOA, might want to check on what your covenants say. I do believe this kind is strictly considered "above ground" and therefore usually not permitted.

]We had the same problem with swimming lessons but we took a less committed (and expensive) approach and went with an inflatable ring top pool.[/B] The girls made huge progress last summer. They can still touch the bottom but they are now much, much more confident in the water - especially with swimming under water.

I just saw one of those today that was fairly substantial in size. I never knew they made them that large. "I" would probably go that way, but my wife probably wouldn't. We didn't talk about it, though.

Papa, do you want the girls to be able to play in water above their heads? Or do you want them to actually learn to swim a proper stroke? If you just want them to be able to play without fear of sinking, then I'd say go with a backyard pool. ....

But, if you want them to do a proper freestyle stroke, then put them on a swim team. With my kids, the lessons were too passive. But, with swim team, it was "go go go" and their strokes improved 1000% percent because they were motivated to be like the "big" kids. (8+ :laughing: )

I want them to REALLY swim. But how can they be on a team if they can't swim? This year we have them signed up for a 2 week Splash / Swim camp in July.

No homeowners association as we are not in a development.

My daughter did swimming lessons at 2, 3 and at 4 she started swimming on her last day of lessons. She swims like a fish now at 7 but we still do lessons and she did the swim team to build endurance. At some point with most kids, it just clicks one day and they swim. I have read that 4 is the optimal age to learn.

We have a 24' above ground pool, fully above ground. DD learned to swim much better from being in the pool daily.

You don't really need a big pool, or even a really deep pool to teach your children to swim.

I want them to REALLY swim. But how can they be on a team if they can't swim? This year we have them signed up for a 2 week Splash / Swim camp in July.

No homeowners association as we are not in a development.

2 weeks worth of lessons isn't really a lot though if you want them to really learn to swim. Swim team is a great option, and they're not going to get good at it if they don't have enough instruction and practice time.

Yeah, they sell 2 brands of pools. One is only warranteed to 24". The other is good to 48" deep.

I did not know that! Our boys swimming improved greatly after we got the pool. We've been doing the two weeks of lessons thing every summer for the last six years. They didn't really show improvement until we got the pool.

I did not know that! Our boys swimming improved greatly after we got the pool. We've been doing the two weeks of lessons thing every summer for the last six years. They didn't really show improvement until we got the pool.

Esther Williams.... 24"

King George Pools... 48"

These are the brands at the store I went to.

2 weeks worth of lessons isn't really a lot though if you want them to really learn to swim. Swim team is a great option, and they're not going to get good at it if they don't have enough instruction and practice time.

I agree. But we did the 2x a week sessions with the YMCA 2x, for 8 weeks, and that didn't work either. So I am hoping that 2 weeks of immersion will help a lot. I'm looking for ANYTHING that can help. My wife does not swim, and I think it is one of her biggest regrets in life.

I know. It does seem nonsensical. But, as long as they can make it from one end to the other with a doggie-paddle-modified-breaststroke they'll usually make it on a swim team.

But, beware: swim teams practice everyday in the summer. It's a big time commitment.

I know. It does seem nonsensical. But, as long as they can make it from one end to the other with a doggie-paddle-modified-breaststroke they'll usually make it on a swim team.

But, beware: swim teams practice everyday in the summer. It's a big time commitment.

Nope. Not even close. They can't swim 5 feet. :sad2:

My goal is water safety. I don't care at this point if my kids have good form. I want them to be able to get their heads above water and scoot to safety if they fall off the pier or the boat (even though they always wear life jackets). I want to make sure they don't freak out if they can't touch the bottom. Eventually, if they take up swimming as a sport or for pleasure they can improve their strokes.

Is there another place that they can take lessons besides the Y they were going to? We live in the boondocks and I can think of 3 local towns with 4 different swim programs DD could be enrolled in- surely there's something that's going to give your kids the instruction they're not getting at that particular Y.

Is there another place that they can take lessons besides the Y they were going to? We live in the boondocks and I can think of 3 local towns with 4 different swim programs DD could be enrolled in- surely there's something that's going to give your kids the instruction they're not getting at that particular Y.

I'll need to investigate... they took lessons at 2 different YMCA's, though, and this swim / splash camp is actually being run by a 3rd YMCA....

My kids took lessons on and off from the time they were three until they were about eight, but it wasn't until we got a pool that they really got any good at swimming. They knew the correct form from lessons and would race each other back and forth across the pool, dive down to get coins, etc. Being in the pool every day really made a big difference in their abilities and confidence. I didn't (and still don't) want to commit to a permanent pool, so we started with an inflatable ring type and now have the Intex frame-set pool.

I also did the YMCO lessons with my boys and it did boost their confidence but they couldn't swim an inch. they were taught how to go under without holding their nose and to dive.
I went out and bought a 15" pool at first when they were really young and they swam every day for years. I could take them into any size pool and they would be able to take care of themselves without fear. (Of course I was watching all the time).
As they got older they outgrew the pool and I got a 24". I just took it down last fall because it takes up most of my yard and we used it about 5 times the entire summer now. My boys are now 31, 28, and 25, not interested in swimming.
I am getting another 15" because now I have my grandson living with me and he needs to get comfortable in the water. I think the pool was the best thing I did for my boys.
Just be prepared for lots of kids in the neighborhood and lots more play dates once the kids learn about the pool. Stock up on those cheap towels at the stores in FL on your next visit, no one ever brings their own towels. I even had a box of bathing suits that I picked up at tag sales and clearance for visitors to use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter