• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

? about Wishes from Poly Beach

FosterA

DIS Veteran
We will be staying at the Poly in November and I've got a 2-part question.

First off, if we were to do the Spririt of Aloha show at 5:15 (I think that's right), we would certainly have time to get out on the beach to watch fireworks right?

Secondly, Can you "really" see the fireworks ok and do you actually see the "light show" and tinkerbell and all that on the castle? Sorry, I've only been once and didn't really notice how far the Poly was from the castle.
Thanks!

First off, if we were to do the Spririt of Aloha show at 5:15 (I think that's right), we would certainly have time to get out on the beach to watch fireworks right?

Secondly, Can you "really" see the fireworks ok and do you actually see the "light show" and tinkerbell and all that on the castle? Sorry, I've only been once and didn't really notice how far the Poly was from the castle.
Thanks!

We did this in August but we did the 8pm SOA and came out right around 10 just after wishes started. Needless to say with everyone exiting and realizing there were fire works, a lot of people stopped and it was a bit congested. We did not head to the beach we just watched for a few minutes and went on because we were to watch Wishes the next night.

Just make sure that you coincide your SOA ressie with the start time of Wishes. If you do the 5:15 show you will have more than enough time to go back to your room and go down to the beach with blankets.

You can "really" see the fireworks, that's why even Disney itself suggests guests doing this. I'm fairly positive you cannot see Tink fly down but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Honestly anyway you look at it, they pipe in the music and it's got great ambiance to your whole Poly trip. Well worth the walk down to the beach. :goodvibes

Thanks!

The fireworks are awesome from that perspective - even better than up close in my opinion.

You can tell Tinkerbell is coming across the sky but not as clearly as up close.

You can see that the Castle is changing colors but anything detailed on the Castle cannot be seen.

It is my favorite place to watch the fireworks.

Liz

I agree about the fireworks being much better from this perspective too! I prefer to watch from Poly.

I agree the view of the fireworks from the Poly is wonderful, but the music is piped in so low that it's very hard to hear.

thanks! Glad to hear that it's a good view from the beach. Bummer that the sound may not be great though. My husband is a big musician/sound person and I'm really trying to make a good first impression of Disney on him (I'm dragging him kicking and screaming for our first family trip there). Haven't bought plane tix yet but more than likely we'll land around noon so my tentative plan was to check in at Poly and lounge around and then go to the Aloha dinner (though it doesn't get great reviews) and then come out and watch the fireworks. I guess I assumed the Wishes show was at 8:00 for some reason but I guess the time varies. Anyway....I really want our first night to be special to get hubster out of his work funk and to really see that we're not dealing with no Six Flags here:rotfl2:
Anyone else have an opinion on the music/sound of wishes while at Poly?

What time of the year are you going? And remember, Wishes is not shown every night for some times of the year.

We watched Wishes from the Poly beach a couple times when we stayed at Shades of Green, and I agree about the music, we could barely hear it. The view of the fireworks is great, but Tinkerbell would be VERY small, so unless you knew to look for her (and had binoculars!), you would most likely not notice it.

I think your plan sounds great, as long as they are doing Wishes that night. There is a link HERE that you can check hours and fireworks/parades times. But make sure you see them in the park some time during your visit, too. The music is AMAZING, and being right there to see Tink and the castle up close is a very different experience.

Also, they have a new projection show on the Castle that I just saw for the first time a couple weeks ago, called the Magic, the Memories, and You, that is incredible. You must be in the park to see it. It's hard to describe, but HERE is a YouTube video.

Have a great trip!

There were new speakers put in along the main beach near the pool and the Hawaii building in 2010. The sound was greatly improved. They are in the grass near the path. The further from these ie closer to the water the lower the sound goes so station yourself on the beach side near the path. The grass side really is a little too close to the rooms.

I've seen reports that on busy nights the CMs have asked for room keys to watch Wishes on the beach. It has gotten very busy and there are reports that Poly guests are starting to go complain.

Before someone replies that it is a public beach it isn't. It is the Polynesian's beach and like every other area in a hotel it is private and the public is allowed there if the hotel decides that is an appropriate use of the area. So far yes but that could change if the crowds increase.

There were new speakers put in along the main beach near the pool and the Hawaii building in 2010. The sound was greatly improved. They are in the grass near the path. The further from these ie closer to the water the lower the sound goes so station yourself on the beach side near the path. The grass side really is a little too close to the rooms.

I've seen reports that on busy nights the CMs have asked for room keys to watch Wishes on the beach. It has gotten very busy and there are reports that Poly guests are starting to go complain.

Before someone replies that it is a public beach it isn't. It is the Polynesian's beach and like every other area in a hotel it is private and the public is allowed there if the hotel decides that is an appropriate use of the area. So far yes but that could change if the crowds increase.

I have heard these reports too - mostly on this board but have to say I have been to the Poly on NYE and the night before the last three years as well as July 4th (arguably the busiest Poly Beach fireworks nights) and have never been asked for or seen anyone asked for a room key. On the contrary last year they had extra tents set up serving food and drinks as well as a towel cart brought out for anyone to take towels to use on the beach.

Liz

What time of the year are you going? And remember, Wishes is not shown every night for some times of the year.
It might not be Wishes, but fireworks are shown every night. I watched the Holiday Wishes from the Poly beach - loved it! And since I don't really like the Wishes music, the lousy sound didn't bother me! :rotfl:

We really enjoy watching Wishes from the beach at the Poly when we stay there!! Very relaxing and beautiful but I would never substitute it for seeing Wishes in the MK. It's just not the same being so far away. We really couldn't hear the music which is such a key part to the show or the castle up close or see Tink fly. We always watched it from the beach as an "extra" viewing of Wishes with a different experience.

the fire works are awesome from the beach. If you are there you may also get the Electrical Water pagent.

I love the frieworks from there so much that is where and when I proposed to my wife.

I have heard these reports too - mostly on this board but have to say I have been to the Poly on NYE and the night before the last three years as well as July 4th (arguably the busiest Poly Beach fireworks nights) and have never been asked for or seen anyone asked for a room key. On the contrary last year they had extra tents set up serving food and drinks as well as a towel cart brought out for anyone to take towels to use on the beach.

Agreed.

That "they don't want outsiders there" stuff is a Web Myth.

I would tend to believe if it got consistantly crowded out there to the point where guests were complaining they would not ask the poeple to leave, but simply add a Beach Bar to sell all those people drinks. Even if it was small and only operated for and hour or so prior to and during the fireworks.

I would tend to believe if it got consistantly crowded out there to the point where guests were complaining they would not ask the poeple to leave, but simply add a Beach Bar to sell all those people drinks. Even if it was small and only operated for and hour or so prior to and during the fireworks.

I have gone to the Poly many different times of the year to watch the fireworks - it IS my favorite location. I have also stayed there 5-6 times. In all of those visits the only time I have remotely seen it busy is the 4th and NYE (both nights for both holidays) and still there was plenty of room.

A couple of years ago we went on the 30th and were DTD on the 31st. At the last minute we decided to go over to the Poly for the fireworks and literally were walking in from the TTC about 20 minutes before they went off. I WISH so much I had taken a picture as there were literally THRONGS of people exiting the monorail, ferry boat and TTC and headed toward and all ready on the pathway to the Poly. It was unlike anything I had ever seen. My vantage point was from the TTC area and it was unreal. We joined the group and it was crowded on the beaches and walkways but honestly that is a huge area and can accomodate many many people.

This year I hope to do the Poly one night and my condo the other night (from behind the MK). Our view is pretty good of the nightly fireworks (of course we can't see the Castle or Tink) but the fireworks are awesome.

Liz

ry%3D400

Here is a picture from our 3rd floor theme park view room at Poly.

Cool to watch from the beach, but never the same as being at the MK for Wishes!:cool1:

Agreed, although the crowds might bother some, especially at very busy times.

Some of the fireworks don't go too high, so I don't think you get a very good view of those from the Poly, and in any case they are a fair distance away.

We only watched from the Poly when our kids were younger and we were staying at the Poly. We watched from our balcony (Tahiti) then the kids went to bed.

Now we go to main street and get good photos. Much better this year when we go in May because I have a much better camera for night shots (and I won't have to use my daughter as a tripod this time!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter