• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

? about proposed pool at Saratoga Springs

MSEC-DVC95

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone -

Just recieved my E-Mail from DVC regarding the latest member news and in the article about Saratoga Springs they talked about the new pool for the resort. They mentioned that the proposed pool would have about 6.000 square feet of surface space and would accomodate 180 guests - I am just curious as to how big that really is - Does anyone know how this size pool would compare to any other pool on Disney property either at any of the DVC's or regular Disney Resots? Just trying to visualize what 6,000 square feet of surface space looks like!!!

Thanks!!!

Not sure, but I understand that it is to be a free form pool much like Stormalong Bay at the Yacht and Beach Club if that helps any.

SAB is close to 100,000 sg ft. Size will likely be a little smaller than BWV's Luna Pool.

Here's the quote from that email pertaining to the new pool:

Quote:
-------------------------------------------------------
In last month's Member Clubhouse, we shared details of the
landscaping plans for our new, proposed Disney Vacation Club
Resort, Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa. Well, since cold
winter weather is still around for many of you, what better time
to focus on that pinnacle of summertime fun--the pool! For insight,
we again turned to Keith Borngirno of MSI, the planning and
design firm who's helping bring the look and feel of Upstate
New York to Central Florida.

Noting that the "heart and genesis for the idea of this resort
are the natural springs," Keith and his team have designed a pool
inspired by the springs found in the resort's New York namesake.
Visible from the upper terrace (near the existing lobby and
restaurant buildings) will be a springs-like feature that,
although not spilling directly into the pool, appears to be the
pool's water source. Keith adds that an "interactive pop-jet
fountain area and waterfall for kids" will also be nearby this
feature.

The main pool will be about 6,000 square feet in surface area and
accommodate 180 Guests. It's to be constructed on the site where
the former Villas at The Disney Institute had its amphitheatre;
the area's current 10-foot change in elevation will be preserved,
serving as a transition from the lobby/restaurant area to the
pool deck level. According to Keith, they'll use the "spring and
the rockwork to transition that grade as a functional element."

The pool has a zero-entry feature making it compliant with the
Americans with Disabilities Act. Keith said they're designing
some interesting water spout features on both sides of the pool
entrance, too. The main pool area also has two spas, one of which
is tucked up into a rockwork slope near an additional small,
unconnected waterfall. For the two quiet pools at the resort
(removed from the main pool area), Keith characterized these as
having a "more formal garden quality" with some cast stone water
features.

By now, you're probably saying, "Sure, everything sounds
wonderful--but what about the waterslide?" Well, get in line for
a real treat! Keith and his team have created a unique slide that
twists and turns several times as it "meanders through the
rockwork." Plans also call for a bridge to be constructed over
the slide's exit into the pool.

And just like you'll find trees and plants native to Upstate New
York at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, the rockwork
mentioned earlier will also have similar "roots." As they did
when planning the landscape, Keith and his team conducted
research in the Empire State; this time, they photographed rock
formations in the Adirondack and Catskill Mountains. The colors,
shapes, and types of formations they found will serve as
inspiration for the rockwork by the pool and throughout the
resort.

According to Keith, construction on the pool area will most
likely begin late spring or early summer. Watch for more exciting
details about this magical new resort next month and in upcoming
issues of Vacation Magic.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Let's have a pool party. Everyone checked in into the pool at the same time without exception!!! LOL :jester:

what email are you talking about? I've spent the last 4 hours unhooking old computer and hooking up new one so I'm wondering if I lost some email in the process. Want to see the SSR pool pictures.

The e-mail is the DVC newsletter. If you haven't, you can sign up for such e-mails at the DVC offical member's site. If you were on the list you should have gotten the e-mail early today which means you had it before you changed computers. If you have changed computers and did not download old files and e-mail from old computer and then upload into the new one, then the e-mail is till on the old computer.

The main pool will be about 6,000 square feet in surface area and accommodate 180 Guests. It's to be constructed on the site where the former Villas at The Disney Institute had its amphitheatre; the area's current 10-foot change in elevation will be preserved, serving as a transition from the lobby/restaurant area to the pool deck level. According to Keith, they'll use the "spring and the rockwork to transition that grade as a functional element."

The DI amphitheater was located on a sloping hillside next to the main building (where the front desk and restaurant were located) and between the auditorium and theater buildings. It sounds as thoughh that area will be revived and used for the SSR infrastructure. The spa is also nearby. It is a short walk from the area now under construction for the villas themselves (site of the old Townhouse Villas).

Last weekend, during an early morning <s>reconnaisance mission</s> walk in that area, we noted that they have now surrounded the old amphitheater with construction barricade and had some large earth moving equipment poised for action.

They have also placed construction barricade around what were the bungalows. These have been vacant and emptied of all furnishings for some time and no landscape maintenance has been done in that area for awhile.

The Fairway Villas are now occupied by College Program CM's and the Treehouse Villas are unoccupied.

Stay Tuned!

Thanks for the update, Doc.

drushba, are you sure SAB is 100,000 sq ft?? It's big but I don't think it's that big!:D Could it be 100,00 cubic feet?

I wish i could remember my geometry, but I do know that SAB is advertised as 3 acres in size- so I would guess DRUSBA used that to figure the size?

SAB is officially about 2 1/2 acres. An acre is 43, 560 sg. ft.

But the article on SSR was talking about surface area of the pool and I thought that was what you were talking about. 2.5 acres of SAB has to be the whole complex.

0 entry for the pool sounds nice. I was hoping BCV would also be 0 entry. Fortunately there are large step areas for the kids to play on.

Capt,
Are you talking about the BCV villa pool or SAB? If you are talking about SAB there is an area near the food concession that is 0 entry. We used this years ago when the kids were smaller and it was great. :D

Cap't
If you have little ones be sure to bring sand toys. The 0 entry area allows you to sit back and enjoy. Our youngest loved to go and play there when she was a toddler. I enjoyed it because it was a "quieter" area of the pool,and it was occupied mainly by other young children.

Thanks everyone for your replies - I was hoping the proposed pool at Saratoga Springs would be bigger than Luna Pool at the Boardwalk Villas, but based on the responses - it looks like the Saratoga Springs Pool will be smaller :(

Thanks Again!!

A 6,000 square feet surface area pool does not sound all that big to me, at least compared to SAB. For example, the conventional indoor pools at our local high schools are 8 lanes x 25 yards. This ends up being about 4,500 square feet (essentially 60 feet wide x 75 feet long). A 6,000 square foot pool would be 1/3 larger. On the other hand, the free form shapes of many of the Disney pools makes for more "play" area in the pool. Not much
use for lap swimming, but good for the kind of activity typical of resort pools. I usually do a bit of lap swimming in the quiet pool at BWV. It's much shorter than pools at home, but I'm not much of a swimmer in any case :).

Ralph

I hope it's a wonderful pool with lots of features to help make up for the loss of SAB pool hopping priviledges. Perhaps it will be a nice boat ride from OKW to the pool if desired.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter