? about play kitchen for 19 month old

Finally_Talking

Mouseketeer
I got my daughter a small doll carriage for Xmas (she will be 19 months in December). I am also planning on getting her a few new books and wooden puzzles.

She has some play pots and pans and kitchen utensils that she loves to play with (she always says "cook!") Anyway, I saw a kidkraft kitchen - very simple - basically a stove and sink - no noises or lights - and I thought maybe I would give her that, too.

Has anyone had any experience giving a play kitchen to someone that age? Did they seem too young for it?

Her siblings had them when they were older but I think it didn't occur to me that they could play with one at that age.

Thanks.

We got this kitchen for my dd easter 2009, she was 2.5 years old. She LOVED it and still does at 4. She plays with it all the time as does every kid who comes over to visit (ages range from 1 year old to 6!!!)

We got this one for her when she turned 1. She LOVED it as well! She played with it just about ever day!

IMO at 19 months I would go with something simpler and better quality, like the kidcraft one or other wooden one, than I would one with lights and sounds, as those are geared towards much smaller kids and she will lose interest in a year or so.

I say you should go for it! A play kitchen is one of the best developmental toys out there, even for the smallest little ones. We got one of the Step2 kitchens for my daughter when she was two and we only put it up last year, when she was seven.

While I'm normally a "simpler is better" gal, my girls really enjoyed the sounds and lights. We got this one, which had a few bells and whistles, but it wasn't too crazy.

Hope that helps!

I don't think she is too young for a nice play kitchen and she can grow into it. Just make sure that all chokable parts are taken off of it and find play food that is not choking hazads because at her age that is still a big concern.

My boys have the Little Tikes play kitchen they got at 3 and before that they had the Fisher Price Laugh and Learn Kitchen we gave them at six months. It is a baby kitchen with switches and songs and geared towards little ones. They grew out of it around 18 months.

We got my dd (now 5) a kidcraft kitchen set when she was 1 for xmas. (sounds simliar to the one you are looking at, wooden, no noise, fridge, stove, oven, sink, cabinet.) She LOVED(s) it, and to this day it is STILL the most played with toy! It's even the toy that my ds (3) plays with the most as well, and a big hit when friends come over. We've stocked it with Melissa and Doug wooden food kits and they love those as well. I definatley think you should get her one if she likes playing with her pots and pans set.

Sounds perfect! Our play kitchen is an old Little Tikes kitchen we picked up at a garage sale when my dd was not quite 2 yrs old. Ours is small enough not too take up too much square footage in our small house, and has no annoying lights and noises. I love it, it was perfect for us. My tall for her age 5 yr old DD is getting too big for it now but she won't part with it.

Like others have said, make sure neither the kitchen nor any of the accessories pose a choking hazard, otherwise it should be fine!

I got my son one last Xmas (so he was...20 months).

I got an Ikea one - no bells and whistles at all, just wooden pretty much. The one thing I do really like about it is that it has extra legs you can put on to make it taller (or leave off when they're shorter). So, it grows with them.

He loves it. It's probably the toy that gets played with most often.

We got the Little Tikes Country Kitchen for my daughter last year. She was about 2.5 at the time. My DS who is now 20 months plays with it just as much if not more than DD does. We got ours used on craigslist for $40.

We got the Little Tikes Country Kitchen for my daughter last year. She was about 2.5 at the time. My DS who is now 20 months plays with it just as much if not more than DD does. We got ours used on craigslist for $40.

Def check craigslist! Most are kept indoors and very clean and you can get the same thing for a lot less and have that extra $ for more items for her, or for another family memer.....like yourself :)

I think that is a great age to get a play kitchen. I worked in a daycare and was always bring the play kitchen into the toddler room when the older kids were napping or out of the room and they loved it. They way they play with it is different then an older child would, but they still enjoyed it

We got my DD a cheap $30 kitchen at Walmart's black Friday sale last year, she was 13 months. She wasn't super interested in it at first. By 18 months though, she was definitely playing with it. She's obsessed now. She has that one and my old play kitchen from the 80s. DH and I are going to build her a nice wood one from here:

http://ana-white.com/category/plans/plancollections/graces-playhouse-kitchen

The kitchen is such a great gift, she never gets sick of it. The only problem DD had with her kitchen when she was younger was just the height. She could barely reach the burners/sink. She grew into it quickly though.

MIL got DD this Step2 kitchen. She's 18 months old & she loves it. It does have a few noises/lights, but she mostly likes to pretend to stir things, and pour us "coffee" lol.

My 13 month-old boy adores his Little Tikes kitchen.

When he gets home from daycare he immediately runs to it and goes crazy!

My daughter got a play kitchen for her 2nd birthday and she loves it. Between the pots & pans and her Princess tea set, she's always bringing DH or I some imaginary concoction to sample! My older DD got her first kitchen at the same age, and played with it for years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter