about photopass cd image file sizes, did i make a mistake?

Dreams, that was a wonderful explanation. :thumbsup2 I also work in the field and Im never good at explaining it.

Okay, here we go (warning: it's long, but it's thorough in an effort to help you feel better about what you have)...

The really simple answer
Based on the email you shared, you are fine. 300 dpi is what you want, unless you are planning on making poster-sized prints. You can take a 300 dpi picture at 4x6 and resize it to 8x10 and be just fine.

For what it's worth: I have done graphic design for many years, work with photos, and am knowledgeable about dpi.

Okay that's the simple reply. Now...

The much more detailed reply

You don't need larger "images." When working with digital photography, there are the prints and the file of the image capture. They have placed 4x6 "images" on the CD for you to see the image capture. That capture is made up of pixels. With the resolution that they have stated in the email, you are able to make "prints" up to 8x10 (and possibly more depending upon varying factors, like material, i.e. canvas). They could provide you with "images" that are 20x30, but that means absolutely nothing in terms of what size "prints" you will be able to get while still retaining focus. (By the way, the reason you can go larger if you print on canvas is that the graininess that states to show in the image when expanded that large, will be perceived as a factor of the texture of the canvas.)

The reason they told you that you would have to re-order the CD again is that (I am guessing) they are offering to go back in and resize every "image" on the CD to a larger size for you to see on your computer. That does not change the number of pixels or the size "print" you will be able to get while maintaining quality. They were just offering to do something for you since you were asking for larger "images" (which are completely irrelevant when making "prints"). Essentially, they were offering you good customer service since you asked for this repeatedly. They cannot provide you with "images" in a higher resolution because the "image capture" has already occurred (you had your picture taken).

But you DO have a valid solution, the CD you received. You don't need a different solution unless you are wanting to make GIANT prints (i.e posters). I would not be unhappy if I were you. In fact, I have three photopass CDs from WDW and DLR that are exactly what you have and love them.

I think this is where you may be confused and getting upset unnecessarily. Size and resolution are NOT the same thing in digital photography. 4x6 is a decent size. 5x7 is a larger size. 8x10 is an even larger size. 150 is a decent resolution. 250 is a larger resolution. 300 is an even larger resolution. Size and resolution are NOT the same thing.

They sell all sorts of sized "photos," but the "images" are 300 dpi and that is fine. Your frustration truly comes through in your last sentence about Disney not caring about international customers. I am guessing you don't really believe that, but if you do --- I am sorry you feel that way. From what I observe, Disney loves international customers, err, guests. They are offering you the same product they offer others. I hope you can step back once you feel better about your CD and see that this has nothing to do with you being from Spain.

Hope this helps. If I can explain anything above further, let me know.

- Dreams

P.S. As an added bonus, if you want the math of it all:

Ideally, a "print" will come from a 300 dpi "file." It can come from a 250 dpi file and still be fine.

If you make an 8x10 "print" from a "image" of 300 dpi resolution you have:
(8x300)x(10x300) = 7.2 megapixels.

If you make an 8x10 "print" from an "image" 250 dpi resolution you have:
(8x250)x(10x250) = 5.0 megapixels

Disney has provided you (based on the email you shared) "images" at 6.1 megapixels.

You have exactly what you need for nice prints. And have now probably graduated Digital Photography 101. Congrats! :)

wow and lol! thanks a lot, that was a very detailed explanation! ;)

I don't know I was feeling like I asked for a double scoop ice cream cone and they charged me for the double scoop and gave me the single scoop cone saying that "it's enough for dessert" XD and it annoyed me because they wanted me to pay again ¬¬_
thanks again to you and to who passed the link about resolutions and prints, I don't know why my browser doesn't load that page.

Thank you all for your time and patience ;)
I still think they should have given me exactly what I asked for or they should have told me "sorry, it's impossible to give you what you ask for".

I'll have fun editing it in photoshop later (grr I hate to have to do that!)

thanks a lot everyone again :) next time I'll do what starshine said (and the photopass cd website says) and I'll save them in 8x10 so I can be completely happy with the result (and the price lol)

they didn't tell me I could add borders to the pics either, and I would have liked to save "different" versions of the pics since the CD had plenty of space for that ;(

:grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter