? about Expedia/Fall Rates/Disney.com

p2oh

Faith Trust and Pixie Dust
We are planning a Christmas trip. I really wanted to stay at PC because it's the only resort we haven't been to. But it isn't available through Disney.Com. Well I checked Expedia and it is available? Why would it be available for the same price on another website and not through Disney?

From my understanding, expedia.com (and others) buy blocks of rooms from Disney to sell on their sites. I don't know why they can offer the same discounts, though. I guess they make the arrangements with Disney when they buy the blocks of rooms?

Hope this clears things up a bit.

I just booked my trip through Expedia too. We are going Nov. 24- 28, which are black out dates for Disney. I got the CSR for 85/night (something like $95 with tax) Disney wanted $137 with tax. Go figure.

Hi there,

I was looking at the Expedia site as well.

Were you able to book as room only, or did you "have to" purchase the park passes as well?

Renee

I'm looking to discount only one night (Fri 10/22) before our 5+2 package starts. There is no availability using the BAT code through Disney...the BAS (online) code through Disney...and Expedia.com. However, there is availability through Hotels.com.

I currently have my one-night room-only reservation made through CRO linked to my 5+2 package reservation. Would it cause problems if I booked my room-only through Hotels.com? Would I still be able to link the reservations so I (probably) wouldn't have to change rooms?

The discount would only save me $112 - maybe the trouble isn't worth it? :confused:

Thanks,
Debbie

Originally posted by WeLoveThePoly
I'm looking to discount only one night (Fri 10/22) before our 5+2 package starts. There is no availability using the BAT code through Disney...the BAS (online) code through Disney...and Expedia.com. However, there is availability through Hotels.com.

Just because hotels.com says it has rooms doesn't mean it does. Southwest is the same way. I've tried to make reservations with both, and it takes you as far as trying to charge your credit card. Then it says "room not available" for hotels. com and "can't communicate with hotel" for Southwest. Expedia seems to show real availability when you put your dates in (X's out the days that aren't available).

HTH

Sorcha

Oh, gotcha. I didn't go as far as entering any of my CC information. Thanks for the info!

Debbie

Originally posted by MAGICinMYHEART
What are Expedia.com.'s cancelation policies?

I'm not sure - but when I saw the dates I wanted on Expedia I called Disney and said that I saw the rooms available on expedia and they were able to book them for me through the CRO.

Sorcha

To answer some of the questions in the thread,

I'm pretty sure Disney and expedia have an agreement under which expedia purchases options on rooms. If it can resell them, it exercises the option and then pays disney the remainder, minus its commission. If it cannot resell the room, it's out the money. Expedia purchases the options at a certain rate -- so expedia may have options on rooms at the fall rate even after disney has sold out of them.

An option doesn't really cost Disney anything during periods when the rooms are not going to sell out. So you can usually find any discount that disney offers for a particular period on expedia for such periods.

They offer the same rates, because if they didn't they would be competing against each other, and that would be unfair to one of them. If disney sold expedia an option on a room but then undersold them, expedia would be pretty mad. Converseley, disney doesn't want to be selling options to expedia and then have expedia underbid them.

Expedia's deposit and cancelation policy are, I believe, full payment at the time of booking. Full refund, minus $25, up to 5 days before check in. One night's charge after that and full charge once it gets to 3 days before check in.

As for disney matching a room price offered on expedia, that's fascinating they did that for you. I can't imagine expedia (and its lawyers!) would be too happy about that, although it's highly possible that I might be confused about some aspect of how the "options" work.

I went to Expedia and was able to book WL during my October 4th trip. Only available for part of my trip but woods view was only $148!!!! ---I did call CRO before booking this trip so I could check BAT and I told them my plan. They couldn't match the rate so I changed.... I feel guilty though. And now I have new anxieties. I have split the reservations for my trip and hope I won't have to change rooms!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter