? about DD's new pierced ears

bedillamouse

Mouseketeer
My 8 year old got her ears pierced and just hit the 6 week mark. She forgot to twist them for a couple of days and now when we clean them one is bleeding a bit. I am assuming the reason its bleeding is because it started to form skin to the post.

My questions are do we leave the earring in longer to let it heal again? Or should I take them out and clean it really well and put new earrings in? Should I put any kind of antibacterial stuff on it or hydrogen proxide on it? It does not look infected and is not dripping blood. It only has blood on the cotton ball when I am cleaning them with the cotton balls soaked in the cleaner they give you.

The place that pierced them said to take her to the doctor ( I know they have to say that for libel reasons ) but I dont think it warrants a doctors visit yet. If it shows any sign of infection I'll take her to the doctors immediately.

Anyone with experience in this stuff? I appreciate your feedback.

I would use a Q-tip soaked in the cleaner and clean the post of the earring and the ear on both sides. Then I would dab a little anti-bac stuff on the post, just to make it easier to turn in case its a little stuck.

My DD's ears were so sensitive and she kept her original earrings in for over a year.
I would just put Neosporin on it all the time or some alcohol and it helped alot.
Her ears are still pretty sensitive and when they get aggravated from some cheap earrings, the original ones go back in for about a month or so.
Her original earrings are cute, so she never minds having to wear them for an extended period of time.
Good luck!!!
*I wouldn't go to the doctor unless it looked horribly infected. You can treat this at home.

mine did this - and i agree with the posters above. continue to treat them as if they are newly pierced - I have to purchase the high-priced earings or my ears tend to get red and HURT if i put in cheepy ones.

Good Luck.

I would leave the studs in longer and I would also use some antibiotic ointment on her ears for a few days.

Thanks everyoone! I will keep doing good cleanings and try some neosporin. I did getbthe gold plated earring because I am sensitive to the cheaper metals so leaving these in I think will be okay.

I appreciate everyone's replies!

Thanks everyoone! I will keep doing good cleanings and try some neosporin. I did getbthe gold plated earring because I am sensitive to the cheaper metals so leaving these in I think will be okay.

I appreciate everyone's replies!
No! do not use neosporin! read the package it says not to use on puncture wounds! try this 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt per 8 oz of water a few times a day.. NO peroxide no neosporin, no betadine, no rubbing alcohol. PLEASE!! it will take it much longer to heal if you use neosporin! I'm getting a piercing friday and I've been reading up on them.

I would leave the studs in longer and I would also use some antibiotic ointment on her ears for a few days.
no no no... you might know everything but this is bad advice!! do not use it!! it needs air to heal! please do not suggest this! it says right on the package not to use on puncture wounds... which is what she has!

Did they give you cleaner when you got them pierced? I would take out the studs, clean them with the cleaner, clean the ears with the cleaner (cotton ball) and put the studs back in. I wouldn't change earrings at this point, especially if you/her have a history of metal sensitivity.

no no no... you might know everything but this is bad advice!! do not use it!! it needs air to heal! please do not suggest this! it says right on the package not to use on puncture wounds... which is what she has!

Her ears have been pierced for 6 weeks and she said there was a bit of blood, I don't think its a serious puncture wound at this point. The OP said the dd forgot to turn them for few says, sounds like the skin stuck to the post. You can use neosporin on cuts and scrapes, which this is probably more equivalent too at this point.

Six weeks after the ears were pierced is no longer a puncture wound. It is more of a scrape or cut from when she turned the earrings and some skin peeled off. I use peroxide all the time on mine and DD's ears and never had a problem.

My dd (almost 10) also got her ears pierced at age 8. She and I were very vigilant at cleaning them 3 times/day for the 1st 6 weeks, and then twice a day (school started at that point.) She was also twisting them every day as required. We used the cleaner given to us by the piercer (Claire's Boutique.) She had to take them out periodically for soccer games, but they always went right back in after the game. Her ears did bleed and scab over quite often. She then developed a cyst behind her ear on the lob that wound up requiring lancing and a minor surgery (in office) by an ENT to drain it. It was a very unpleasant experience for both her and me! The ENT said in her case, it was a result of the piercing. We've since let the holes close up and will wait many more years for her to get them pierced (if ever!)

Not that I want to scare you because I'm sure this is a rare incident (My own ears are double-pierced), but just something to watch for!

You can use witch hazel Or a salt/saline solution to clean. Peroxide can damage healing tissue. My DD has ear, nose and belly button piercing, all done at the tattoo place and this is what they told her.

My dd (almost 10) also got her ears pierced at age 8. She and I were very vigilant at cleaning them 3 times/day for the 1st 6 weeks, and then twice a day (school started at that point.) She was also twisting them every day as required. We used the cleaner given to us by the piercer (Claire's Boutique.) She had to take them out periodically for soccer games, but they always went right back in after the game. Her ears did bleed and scab over quite often. She then developed a cyst behind her ear on the lob that wound up requiring lancing and a minor surgery (in office) by an ENT to drain it. It was a very unpleasant experience for both her and me! The ENT said in her case, it was a result of the piercing. We've since let the holes close up and will wait many more years for her to get them pierced (if ever!)

Not that I want to scare you because I'm sure this is a rare incident (My own ears are double-pierced), but just something to watch for!

We had a bad experience with my older daughter....it didn't require lancing but she ended up with a nasty nasty bump/infection on the back of her ear lobe too. We figured out the person didn't properly pierce them. I was hesitant to let my other daughter get them done after the 1st DD's experience but we did it. The sites were doing fabulous until just a 2 days ago. That's when she twisted them and they started to bleed. I think it really was skin attached to the earring and it tore loose. My dilemma was to take the earring out and clean them or leave them in and clean them and if I should be using something to prevent infection.

I am going to see try the salt/saline solution next...it shouldn't hurt anything to do that.

When I cleaned them tonight there was hardly any blood...it actually looked more like dried blood that got wet and was washing off. Fingers crossed these heal themselves because my DD is so worried that we will have to take the earrings out and let the holes close up ( which happened with my oldest DD)

Thanks everyone for the help!

Do not use peroxide, Neosporin, etc! I have had several ear piercings done at professional piercing/tattoo parlors, and they warned against using those products. You should be using a saline solution to clean your piercings.

Also, they told me not to twist the piercings. It can actually cause a lot of harm. Here's a quote from a piercing FAQ:

"Should I twist/move the jewelry?

NO. You never ever twist/move jewelry in a healing piercing. Twisting/playing with jewelry welcomes unwanted bacteria/crusties, it tears/destroys the fistula, it prolongs healing time, it can cause excess scar tissue, and it increases your chances of infection. Do NOT mess with jewelry."

No! do not use neosporin! read the package it says not to use on puncture wounds! try this 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt per 8 oz of water a few times a day.. NO peroxide no neosporin, no betadine, no rubbing alcohol. PLEASE!! it will take it much longer to heal if you use neosporin! I'm getting a piercing friday and I've been reading up on them.

This. When DD9 got her ears pierced the piercer told us to soak her ears in salt water for 10 minutes every night for two months. It was a pain in the tuchus but we never had any trouble with her ears at all.

Just make sure you use iodine free salt. We found a couple shot glasses did the trick. One ear in each glass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter