• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

? about CM getting family/friends into parks?

ADisneyQueen

DIS Veteran
My sister has a friend who is a CM and he says he can get her into the parks for free. I think she said he would be going with her through the gate. If she does this, will she be able to take a break and return later in the evening? Will she be given a ticket?

yes, she will receive a ticket that is equivalent to a 1 day park hopper. As apart of the policy, the CM must accompany his/her Guests throughout the entire day.

Thanks. She will probably ask him more questions but I am planning this trip with our family of 10 people and I just feel I need the answers right now! I'm not sure if it is worth it for her to wait outside the gates for him. I will already have my tickets and will be heading straight for the rides! It's hard to explain things to people who have not been there.

Thanks. She will probably ask him more questions but I am planning this trip with our family of 10 people and I just feel I need the answers right now! I'm not sure if it is worth it for her to wait outside the gates for him. I will already have my tickets and will be heading straight for the rides! It's hard to explain things to people who have not been there.

The question is will he be willing to spend the entire day with her, as per the rules.

It is a rule, but not ususally enforced, so its at the CMs own risk.. As long as his guest behaves himself and doiesnt cause problems, the CM should be ok .

As someone who has recently done the whole CM signing in thing, I suggest she get her own ticket. It's a vacation for you and her, but the CMs rarely see the time sensitive-ness of your trip. For instance, we got at gate opening before it opened, but she arrived an hour late, so we had to wait. And when we went in, she refused to wait in line, because why should she? She can go back another day and walk on. Unless they're new or in the College Program, it's hard for them to stick with the day you have planned. Though it saved us money, next time we'll be buying our tickets.

As someone who has recently done the whole CM signing in thing, I suggest she get her own ticket. It's a vacation for you and her, but the CMs rarely see the time sensitive-ness of your trip. For instance, we got at gate opening before it opened, but she arrived an hour late, so we had to wait.

On the other hand, it can be difficult when you're a CM trying to help someone out before you have to go to work, and they're late. People being late can be an inconvenience on both sides of the aisle.

It is a rule, but not ususally enforced, so its at the CMs own risk.. As long as his guest behaves himself and doiesnt cause problems, the CM should be ok .

Have visited the parks many a times - have a friend and a relative who works at WDW.

We've never been accompanied the whole day but then again, we understood the privilege we were given so were on our good behavior....

We've never been accompanied the whole day but then again, we understood the privilege we were given so were on our good behavior....

1) Good behavior or not.
2) If CM guest is caught WITHOUT the CM, the CM can be fired !
3) That is a huge risk for the CM to take.
4) WE DO NOT LET FOLKS IN UNLESS WE ARE WITH THEM ALL DAY.
5) Not worth losing our jobs.

On the other hand, it can be difficult when you're a CM trying to help someone out before you have to go to work, and they're late. People being late can be an inconvenience on both sides of the aisle.

yes, exactly. One example was a day she was meeting us and was switching shifts with someone else so she can go, except the day before, the friend couldn't switch with her which threw a wrench in our plans. Our plans 9 months out was to be able to spend as much time together as possible (as she's my bff and we live far away) but life happens, she's gotta work, and she doesn't see the point of waiting more than 10 minutes for anything, not even the big name rides.

So OP, your sister may think she's saving hundreds of dollars, but chances are you'll all be waiting for her for things. Be kind to her CM friend, and just buy a ticket. These types of things are great if you're there for a day or two, but for a week long vacation, it's a lot of work for the CM.

1) Good behavior or not.

Only posting my past experiences - we were never told at any time that we were supposed to be accompanied by the CM's (these were two different friends/family members) while we were in the park, Simply stated that we were grateful to be allowed into the park so we were on our best behaviour. The visits were 6-7 years ago

No need to get persnickety..... ;-)

1) Good behavior or not.

Exactly. There has been a rash of CM's fired for this lately.

Exactly. There has been a rash of CM's fired for this lately.

Where did you get that info from? I'm a CM (who, for the record, stays with their friends when I sign them in), and I have heard NOTHING of this "rash of CMs" who have been fired.

That is, other than the story that has circulated every single "high season" since I got to Disney over 15 years ago. Every single spring break, summer and Christmas, there are rumors and stories that large numbers of CMs have been fired for Main Entrance pass misuse. I don't doubt that people get reprimanded and fired for misusing their passes, but I doubt that there has been "a rash of CM firings" lately. That many people fired for the same thing would have made news somewhere.

:earsboy:

Where did you get that info from? I'm a CM (who, for the record, stays with their friends when I sign them in), and I have heard NOTHING of this "rash of CMs" who have been fired.

That is, other than the story that has circulated every single "high season" since I got to Disney over 15 years ago. Every single spring break, summer and Christmas, there are rumors and stories that large numbers of CMs have been fired for Main Entrance pass misuse. I don't doubt that people get reprimanded and fired for misusing their passes, but I doubt that there has been "a rash of CM firings" lately. That many people fired for the same thing would have made news somewhere.

We lost 4 people in my department for this in a month. Security even followed one girl from the turnstile all the way to the DRC. She got someone in, and then went to work.

Only posting my past experiences - we were never told at any time that we were supposed to be accompanied by the CM's (these were two different friends/family members) while we were in the park, Simply stated that we were grateful to be allowed into the park so we were on our best behaviour. The visits were 6-7 years ago . . .

on the HUB for MGP guidelines:
"Passholders, or their spouses / same sex domestic partners, need not
accompany family members in the Parks, but MUST accompany any Guests
other than family members throughout their ENTIRE visit, unless the Guests
are accompanied by a family member of the Passholder. "

From the same MGP guidelines:
". . . family members defined as:
Parents
Mothers/Fathers-in-law
Brothers
Sisters
Grandparents
Grandchildren
Non-dependent children and their spouses/same sex domestic partners "

We lost 4 people in my department for this in a month. Security even followed one girl from the turnstile all the way to the DRC. She got someone in, and then went to work.
That story has made the rounds before too. Although, if it is true and someone followed a CM from the turnstiles all the way to the DRC, there's obviously a lot more going on there than just one errant sign-in.

I don't doubt that it happens. But I do hear the same stories year after year. I think Disney tends to be pretty laidback about sign-ins in general, and really only go after people who have proven to abuse the priviledge over time. They're far more likely to try to nab someone who is selling their comps than they are trying to find the hourly foods person who signed their best friend in on a work day.

That story has made the rounds before too. Although, if it is true and someone followed a CM from the turnstiles all the way to the DRC, there's obviously a lot more going on there than just one errant sign-in.

I can also confirm this is happening. It was pushed pretty heavily from the top down about a year ago. Leaders received updated Team Talks, and Center Stage was updated. During a meeting we were given numbers that affected our areas, and it was higher than I suspected. We were not given detail on how it's being tracked, but all the Leaders on my Team immediately stopped getting "friends" in. I think shock is the best word for our reaction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter