• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

? about club level at AKL

MouseEarsforUs

Earning My Ears
What are your thoughts on club level at AKL? Worth it or would you rather spend the extra money on something else?

We are just back from 13 days at AKL, Club level. We discussed this question for much of our last few days. We booked the Club level here just for the Sunrise Safari (big mistake, but that's another story). While the offerings at the lounge are nice and all of the concierge staff were friendly and very helpful, for us it isn't how we would spend our money again. A next time, we would stay Savannah view and use the extra money for additional nights.

YMMV

We are just back from 13 days at AKL, Club level. We discussed this question for much of our last few days. We booked the Club level here just for the Sunrise Safari (big mistake, but that's another story). While the offerings at the lounge are nice and all of the concierge staff were friendly and very helpful, for us it isn't how we would spend our money again. A next time, we would stay Savannah view and use the extra money for additional nights.

YMMV

What happened with the Safari? We've done it as we'll and liked it. But I do. to think we would pay extra just for club level. It's really nothing that special for the price.

I know everything has off days, but the safari was highly frustrating. First they tell us all to be at the club lounge by 645 "at the absolute latest". The magic bands didn't work to check anybody in. Okay, new technology, have patience young grasshopper. Then they tell us to be in the downstairs lobby at 7am...then 715am. Turns out there is a problem getting the buses for us, but nobody tells us that. 730 we load up and head to the park. This part was wonderful, just not worth the $. Once they got us in the cattle chute for the ride vehicle, its another half hour wait because there is a problem with the ride vehicle. Then there is another delay because the light to tell us we can go isn't working.

That the animals out were slow and some weren't out because of the temp (it was a chilly 45 that day) wasn't a problem. At least that was explained to us. It was all the delays and lack of explanation. The left hand didn't seem to know what the right hand was doing.

What are your thoughts on club level at AKL? Worth it or would you rather spend the extra money on something else?

I've stayed club level at AKL several times (as well as many times at other Disney resorts). I generally like the convenience and exclusivity of staying club level, I find the food offerings at the AKL lounge to be among the best in the club lounges and I love hanging out in the AKL club level lounge (the view from the lounge looking at over the lobby and out the back of the resort is wonderful). Whether or not those perks are "worth it" to you is very subjective; only you can really answer that question.

For us, it was awesome! We loved having the snacks available and having the option of eatingbreakfast there. We would definitely do it again.

This question of the value of club level comes up often on these boards and the answer is really subjective. I think it depends on the make up of your party, how you eat, how you vacation at WDW and if you have other club experiences.

If you are looking to get back the value spent, dollar for dollar, you are not going to get it. You will get more mileage if you are a family with children vs just a couple but even then, you really won't get back what you spent. The food offerings are not extravagant and the beer/wine is very disappointing. The offerings are only available during designated hours so you have to work your park/meal time around it those hours to take full advantage.

What you are going to get is convenience, especially for breakfast and you will get that feeling of exclusivity that the PP mentioned. Everyone has to decide if that's enough value.

I have stayed at almost every CL at WDW and many at other resorts outside of WDW. The WDW CL's are disappointing in comparison, particularly for the cost that Disney charges, but I would still prefer to stay CL than non CL. I like having the lounge to escape to so that I don't have to sit on my bed in my room to enjoy a cookie and soda. It would be cheaper to buy my own cookies and soda and eat them on my balcony but I like having the option not to have to do that. And some of the lounges are nicer/more spacious, AKL being one of them. I am not a park commando so I usually get a good deal of time in the lounge. I enjoy a late dinner so the evening appetizers are convenient for me.

Still, when I have been on a budget and had to choose between CL and something else, I have gone with the something else. I have enjoyed my non CL WDW vacations just as much as my CL stays so I can't say that staying CL at WDW added value to my vacation. It just adds convenience.

I just stayed AKL CL 2 weeks ago. I will absolutely stay at this particular CL again. This was my experience:

AKL has more of an african twist on the foods and drinks they serve, so it attracted me more than other disney CL options that seemed more standard. When we arrived we were taken directly to the CL lounge to check in (no waiting in line) and offered mimosa's made with their "jungle juice" mixture. We were given these every morning along with fresh fruit, bagels, pastries, oatmeal and quinoa porridge with toppings selection. The only breakfast we paid for was CRT for my birthday, we ate here the other days as it was a perfect selection for us. -- Note if you frequently eat heartier breakfasts wtih eggs, bacon, pancakes, etc, you will not find these here.

CL rooms receive an Arusha savannah view on the 4th floor because it is high enough to see out over the savannah, but not so high that you are far from the animals. We very often had zebra and giraffe directly in front of our balcony, it was wonderful! -- Our CL room was not much more expensive than the normal Arusha view, which wasn't a huge difference from general savannah view. I highly recommend savannah view of some kind no matter your choice here. I didn't think it would matter initially but realized it is a huge part of the experience!

The appetizers and desserts were good, but probably not enough for a meal. A wonderful snack though. They had a small range of beer, heinekein - budweiser -and the AK tusker ale which was our choice and pretty good. They also had 3 or 4 african wines to choose from. During afternoon tea they have some baked goods and during the snack period they have things like gummie bears and pretzels. Appetizers were warm and there was also a cheese and dessert selection.

Throughout the day, 6am -10pm the cooler had some pops, juices, milks available. We grabbed one to keep in the room and took one to the parks with us every day. The staff gave us beer and a bottle opener to put in our fridge on nights we told them we would not make it back before 10pm. On those nights we also took a plate with snacks and kept it in the room for our return. Mimosas were available all day, and had we asked the wine and beer were as well. They would just run into the back room and grab some for you. They also gave us plastic cups to take them with us to the pool and walk around outside on the grounds touring the resort.

Basically with their CL we had drinks for the parks every day, there were snacks of some kind available at any time of day, and heartier options at certain points. They give you a detailed list of these in your room. We spend most of our time in the parks, but with breakfast, included adult beverages, and snacks throughout the day along with the view and service (no tipping CL btw), it really paid off for us. We did book with an AP rate, however it was not much cheaper than the general public discount rate. If you were paying full price I might see it differently. I loved the resort in general, but CL really put it above.

I will also add it was my birthday and the CL staff went above and beyond to make it special. I had a little gift in my room.

I would only stay AKL CL again if we wanted to do the Sunrise Safari again (which I LOVED!). The CL CM's weren't very impressive, quite honestly. When they checked us in, it took FOREVER! I think the CM was trying to be really friendly, etc., but I just wanted to check in. Whenever I had a question, I had to wait FOREVER for a CM to help me. The food was fine - no protein at breakfast though and the lounge was very dark.

We've stayed CL at YC, Poly, GF and AKL and about to stay CL at BWI in a week. Poly remains my favorite CL!

One thing that I have ALWAYS loved about the Disboard? With few exceptions - differing opinions only serve to present a more balanced view.

Perhaps our day on the Sunrise Safari was an off day. I'm glad that I am not the only one who found it to be a bit dark. Though we were there long enough to develop a 'regular' corner.....which was light....but with sketchy internet.

:)

The AKL CL was Ok, but not my favourite CL in WDW. I wouldn't bother to pay for CL here again, unless to do the Sunrise Safari. The lounge is quite dark, IMO, and the view over the lobby didn't really impress us. We prefer a view outside. WE had trouble finding available seating on a couple of occasions so we had our snacks while standing awkwardly at the rail.

The CM's were among the least friendly or approachable of any that I have found at the CL's in WDW. Food offerings were OK, but really not memorable.

I would definitely spend my money on something else. If you are going for a nice CL experience, we like the GF RPC or the CR CL with TPV. We haven't tried the Poly CL yet, but it sounds like a good choice as well. We will probably give it a go after the construction is finished.

The Epcot resort CL's were not as good as the MK resort CL's, IMO.

WE haven't stayed at WL CL, but I have read good things about it. I just worry that it may be dark like the AKL lounge. The dark rooms at WL are not my favourite. Probably won't bother to try CL here for that reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter