about character ettiquette: mickey doesn't like hugs?

Yeah maybe it was a Mickey 'joke' that wasn't portrayed very well. It took us FOREVER to decode the reference Chip and Dale made about DH when we went to Minnie's breakfast. DH had a black/white striped Jack Skellington shirt on. He also had a wallet chain (he wears it because at work he's moving around a lot and doesn't wanna lose his wallet). So they were TRYING to reference that DH was an inmate. We felt SO DUMB ROFL

It doesn't help that we're terrified of the characters. We were like OMG PLEASE LET US FIGURE THIS OUT FAST SO THEY LEAVE hahahhaha

lol!!!

lol, thanks for the replies!
yes, he keeps saying he was rejected by the mouse at the happiest place on earth, and he keeps saying that he wants a button or a badge (as in PS3 games) and that he wants to go back and get one XD

we were worried that maybe as spaniards we were too "physical" for the characters, but we've seen people hugging the characters and having lots of body contact with them, we should have been fine XD

next time he'll just give him a handshake :lmao:

this is all very funny because we usually go to Disneyland Paris, and we've been there 5 times already and we never ever got a picture taken with mickey or any other character, because they have this stupid thing that "characters are only for kids". So we waited until we got to DL to have a pic taken with the mouse ... and there goes the rejection! lol

All of the characters we met were awesome, including Mickey in both occasions :D
we have to go baaaaack!!!

Ok....but what happened to "children of all ages" ....I may be pushing 50 to the side but the minute I walk through those gates I turn into a very tall 5 year old, lol.

Makes me actually rethink wanting go to Paris......I am not sure I could be polite if refused the chance of photos with the characters, lol. Ugly American isn't what I want to project, lol. If we are ever able to go it's going to be a lot of money and dern-it I want my pictures!

Ok....but what happened to "children of all ages" ....I may be pushing 50 to the side but the minute I walk through those gates I turn into a very tall 5 year old, lol.

Makes me actually rethink wanting go to Paris......I am not sure I could be polite if refused the chance of photos with the characters, lol. Ugly American isn't what I want to project, lol. If we are ever able to go it's going to be a lot of money and dern-it I want my pictures!

That's why we LOVE Disneyland and the parks in Florida, you're a kid no matter how you look. In Disneyland Paris they're just starting to understand this. It's still no reason for not wanting to go, the parks are beautiful though they have less amount of attractions. But if you want to get your pic taken with the characters it can be a bit hard to try to not to have anyone else in the picture. There aren't handler CMs with the characters, or they don't put order in the line, and it gets quite crazy. And of course, you have kids who want their pic taken and we'll see who gets priority for the picture... you'll end up allowing the kids first even when they arrived after you

I've heard many complaints about adults wanting to get their picture taken with princesses or face characters and they got the typical "hey, this is for kids". I'm not sure if this changed last year because we couldn't go but I would guess things are preety much the same.

And as I said, in your picture you always have other people appearing or kids touching the characters. Some moms can be quite pushy and they'll put their kids in YOUR picture. I really don't understand why disneyland paris doesn't enforce a more organised system (and, they don't have photopass or they didn't until 2011 so make sure you bring a good camera)

Some characters appear in certain spots and you'll get your pic taken by a photographer with no one else photobombing, but let me tell you it feels kind of awkward to line up with only kids with moms in the line. Also those particular lines get truly long.

Still, GO, the Disneyland Park is BEAUTIFUL (the landscaping is breathtaking in spring and summer) though sometimes it lacks maintenance. I guess this year it will look splendid because of the 20th anniversary celebrations, just as it did when they celebrated the 15th.

We might go this year but we did this unexpected visit to DL CA so our budget is badly affected by that :goodvibes If you do go, don't try to make comparisons and you'll enjoy it. But the atmosphere is quite different, more "european" and more "serious" than in the american parks.

It's not an official rule that character meets are only for kids, but you hear it happen from time to time that an adult gets refused.

Happened to myself twice - once a character handler tried to send me away from one of the hotel meet and greets with Mickey and Minnie saying this was only for kids. Thank god Mickey must have caught I was about to reply something very un-Disney to that guy, came to save me and I got my photo.

Then two hours later the White Rabbit held his hand up as high as my hip and nodded, then as high as my head and shook his head. I eventually got my photo when he realized I wasn't going to move, but as you can imagine this left me fuming.

Before that Stitch made some very off gestures in my direction when he realized that I didn't have kids with me. :confused3

What can I say... it's Paris. You need to be prepared for everything. :laughing:

It's not an official rule that character meets are only for kids, but you hear it happen from time to time that an adult gets refused.

Happened to myself twice - once a character handler tried to send me away from one of the hotel meet and greets with Mickey and Minnie saying this was only for kids. Thank god Mickey must have caught I was about to reply something very un-Disney to that guy, came to save me and I got my photo.

Then two hours later the White Rabbit held his hand up as high as my hip and nodded, then as high as my head and shook his head. I eventually got my photo when he realized I wasn't going to move, but as you can imagine this left me fuming.

Before that Stitch made some very off gestures in my direction when he realized that I didn't have kids with me. :confused3

What can I say... it's Paris. You need to be prepared for everything. :laughing:

exactly, we never even tried to get our pics taken with the characters because of that. we didn't want our experience ruined! the people who do practise the "queue-skipping"sport is more than enough "real world" sensations for us at disney, that... and the littering. If you're aware of all of that then you'll be able to enjoy yourself :D

I've still seen adults getting pictures with the characters and having a great time with them but I don't know, be aware that you might be sent away or get weird looks from others.

:) still... I envy you all! (in a good way) you have DL near home! we only have DL Paris and we still LOVE LOVE LOVE that park and the studios, but something in the atmosphere isn't totally 100% disney.
DH has always made me go to DL every year and I told him "you should give a chance to the american parks" and nope, he only wanted to go to DL Paris over and over and over again. Now that he's been to DL CA he finally "got" what I was talking about when I talked about the american parks being SO disney :)

We still love DLP and we'll go back... but there's always a "but" :D

I've had it once that I had done a drawing for Peter Pan and Wendy caught sight of it in one of these mob scenes. She went "oh, Peter, look!" and pulled his arm long enough so he turned around. Cue Peter taking my hand, pulling me out of the crowd deciding "you're next!" A lot of families complained very, very loudly. What can I say - sometimes the system will work in an adult's favor too. ;)

I once complained in writing about the scrums and got a reply from customer service that this was the way park visitors wanted it. :confused3

Like you say, the Paris park is okay for a quick fix, but definitely a different non-Disney athmosphere. I always long for my yearly Anaheim trip, no matter the 12 hour flight! :laughing: I never once had a character look at me weirdly there. In fact most seemed to enjoy when an adult was playing along.

I've had it once that I had done a drawing for Peter Pan and Wendy caught sight of it in one of these mob scenes. She went "oh, Peter, look!" and pulled his arm long enough so he turned around. Cue Peter taking my hand, pulling me out of the crowd deciding "you're next!" A lot of families complained very, very loudly. What can I say - sometimes the system will work in an adult's favor too. ;)

I once complained in writing about the scrums and got a reply from customer service that this was the way park visitors wanted it. :confused3

Like you say, the Paris park is okay for a quick fix, but definitely a different non-Disney athmosphere. I always long for my yearly Anaheim trip, no matter the 12 hour flight! :laughing: I never once had a character look at me weirdly there. In fact most seemed to enjoy when an adult was playing along.

haha!! We're totally the stick in the mud adults as far as characters go. If characters touch me I totally cringe internally but attempt to act 'cute' externally :rotfl: Kids are watching, after all HAHAH *shudder*:lmao:

OMG I would be so annoyed if a character tried to tell me no.....I don't care HOW old I am, that character better take a photo with me if I've waited in line for it! I would be complaining like crazy. LOL I understand it's Paris but it's STILL Disney!!

OP I don't why Mickey wouldn't hug you, I've got photos of my DBF hugging every character possible.....LOL From Mickey to Princess Jasmine (who offered the hug to our King and offered to do a photo with him because we told her she's his favorite Princess...and yes, she is, I'm thinking of Aladdin & Jasmin for Halloween this year LOL) to Tigger, to Pluto (who ran over to hug him because DBF was wearing a Pluto shirt and that made Pluto happy). That just makes no sense to me, I would have asked after the second time it happened.....

OMG I would be so annoyed if a character tried to tell me no.....I don't care HOW old I am, that character better take a photo with me if I've waited in line for it! I would be complaining like crazy. LOL I understand it's Paris but it's STILL Disney!!

As stated above, most characters don't have handlers. If you complain at City Hall they'll shrug at you or very conveniently "unlearn" English.

When we had a problem with our room once they complained the reception couldn't understand me - after trying in German, English, Italian and my meager Spanish, French and Dutch - and asked me to make a drawing! :laughing:

I had characters skipping me at a character meal one evening last year. After lots of discussions they finally got the character handler. Her response: "Is this a problem?" No, I pay 80 bucks per meal for luke warm soda, cold pizza and because I like the scenery so much! :scared1:

That's just Paris. They way too often treat customers as a nuissance.
Last year for my birthday we had such a recurring theme of unfriendly and unhelpful cast members that I almost started crying in front of Prince Naveen because he was the first person during that stay to treat me nicely and with respect and giving me true Disney feeling. That was at a point where I already had asked myself it was worth ever coming back.

OP I don't why Mickey wouldn't hug you, I've got photos of my DBF hugging every character possible.....LOL From Mickey to Princess Jasmine (who offered the hug to our King and offered to do a photo with him because we told her she's his favorite Princess...and yes, she is, I'm thinking of Aladdin & Jasmin for Halloween this year LOL) to Tigger, to Pluto (who ran over to hug him because DBF was wearing a Pluto shirt and that made Pluto happy). That just makes no sense to me, I would have asked after the second time it happened.....

Yes, the original post really doesn't make any sense to me either. I usually have characters run over to hug me too - Chip and Dale occasionally even start to fight each other who gets to go first. :laughing:

lol in both occasions my husband waited until we got away from the photo site to tell me mickey rejected him, because i didn't notice it when it happened. had i seen it the second time i would have asked mickey what was going on, even if he couldn't speak maybe he could have shrugged or something.

still, it's not something that truly bothers us (or DH), we had an awesome time and mickey was still very polite.

but just imagine, right before us was a teen girl who got truly emotional when she got to meet mickey, and mickey took his time to dry her tears and hug her like 6 times, and he did the same to her mom who was crying as well.
they were with mickey for like 6-8 minutes, taking pictures and hugging him.
we all got emotional witnessing the scene and i was teary-eyed when it finally was our turn and DH was feeling like a kid wanting to hug mickey the same way the previous guests did... and mickey blocked the hug XD (but he still hugged me!)
and nope, it wasn't because mickey had to leave, he stayed for like 3 more guests who were behind us and took quite a while to greet them and take pics with each one of them :)

i had no idea what happened :confused3 but it was very funny we're not even complaining about it :D

as for DLP yes, it's a nice quick fix but for us it's too expensive to fly to the U.S., we only did it this time because we got flights for 380€ which is far less than we usually see in airline booking sites. we got very lucky with the airfares and the Anabella hotel (560€ for 7 nights in suite casita)

I didn't know about any of this. I'm going to purposely step out of my comfort zone, and hug a character on our trip. I'm not a hugging person, but now I'm interested. Wonder if I'll be declined lol!

lol
mickey eventually let my husband get closer for the picture but the bear hug seems that it was a big "no no" for these two mickeys

If it makes your husband feel any better, it might have been the same Mickey (there is only one mouse you know ;) ). At WDW we had seen Mickey at a character breakfast, but DD (then 4) had been struggling to keep her eyes open at breakfast and was not really wanting to interact with Mickey. She just wanted to lay her head down on the table and go back to sleep try as Mickey might to wake her up. An hour or two later, she was wide awake and in a much better mood and wanted to see Mickey in his line in the park and we went to see him. When we got there Mickey, who was dressed completely differently in that spot, got all excited and started pointing at DD and pretending he was asleep. And I said "oh you remember her being sleepy at breakfast" and he started really nodding and acting all excited that I understood him and that DD now wanted to see him and hug him and interact with him. It really surprised me because I knew that the restaurant hours for the character breakfast were not up yet. So maybe only "one" Mickey actually wouldn't hug your husband.

I got dissed by a character once too. It was aviator Minnie at CA. I still don't know what I did that irritated her. I'm a short girl too, not a big guy. DD had taken a picture with her and I asked the photopass person if DH and I could jump in and take a quick picture with DD and Minnie too. Being WDW vets, we had never seen aviator Minnie before and I thought it would be a great family pic. I said Hi to Minnie and stood next to her for the picture. When we were done as I was saying "Bye Minnie. Thanks" she shoved me in the back- and it felt like a distinct "get out of here shove", not a friendly goodbye pat. It isn't like we were taking up a huge amount of time or holding up the line that much- we just jumped in for a quick picture. I have no clue what I might have done that irritated her. Maybe it is because I do kind of turn into a 5 year old when I see Minnie or Mickey-maybe she found me annoying. :laughing: Kind of makes me wonder if your DH's cranky Mickey may have been "related" to our cranky Minnie.

As stated above, most characters don't have handlers. If you complain at City Hall they'll shrug at you or very conveniently "unlearn" English.

When we had a problem with our room once they complained the reception couldn't understand me - after trying in German, English, Italian and my meager Spanish, French and Dutch - and asked me to make a drawing! :laughing:

I had characters skipping me at a character meal one evening last year. After lots of discussions they finally got the character handler. Her response: "Is this a problem?" No, I pay 80 bucks per meal for luke warm soda, cold pizza and because I like the scenery so much! :scared1:

That's just Paris. They way too often treat customers as a nuissance.
Last year for my birthday we had such a recurring theme of unfriendly and unhelpful cast members that I almost started crying in front of Prince Naveen because he was the first person during that stay to treat me nicely and with respect and giving me true Disney feeling. That was at a point where I already had asked myself it was worth ever coming back.

Yes, the original post really doesn't make any sense to me either. I usually have characters run over to hug me too - Chip and Dale occasionally even start to fight each other who gets to go first. :laughing:

Well, they can unlearn English all they want, while I'm not currently fluent in French if I went to France I would be! lol And DD15 is in her second year of French, by the time we would be able to go (costs a lot to go to Paris lol) she would be going too and she's pretty fluent. lol :)

Pluto was so excited to see someone wearing a shirt with him on it, and then he looked at our pins to see what we had and DD12 is a big Pluto pin collector so she had quite a few Pluto pins on her lanyard, he got all excited about that too. Since DD15 and I didn't have any Pluto pins he gave us the "paw". LOL We were dying.....it was hilarious, so DBF and DD12 did a photo with Pluto and DD15 and I were rejected....but it was part of the joke, I had Jessie do the same thing to me, she was acting all upset that I didn't have a Jessie pin on my lanyard, until I told her that I had a really cool Jessie pin but I didn't want it to get messed up so it stayed in my pin book all the time. It's true too, it's a really neat Jessie pin but it's oversized and it has dangles and I don't want to lose any of them. :)

If it makes your husband feel any better, it might have been the same Mickey (there is only one mouse you know ;) ). At WDW we had seen Mickey at a character breakfast, but DD (then 4) had been struggling to keep her eyes open at breakfast and was not really wanting to interact with Mickey. She just wanted to lay her head down on the table and go back to sleep try as Mickey might to wake her up. An hour or two later, she was wide awake and in a much better mood and wanted to see Mickey in his line in the park and we went to see him. When we got there Mickey, who was dressed completely differently in that spot, got all excited and started pointing at DD and pretending he was asleep. And I said "oh you remember her being sleepy at breakfast" and he started really nodding and acting all excited that I understood him and that DD now wanted to see him and hug him and interact with him. It really surprised me because I knew that the restaurant hours for the character breakfast were not up yet. So maybe only "one" Mickey actually wouldn't hug your husband.

I got dissed by a character once too. It was aviator Minnie at CA. I still don't know what I did that irritated her. I'm a short girl too, not a big guy. DD had taken a picture with her and I asked the photopass person if DH and I could jump in and take a quick picture with DD and Minnie too. Being WDW vets, we had never seen aviator Minnie before and I thought it would be a great family pic. I said Hi to Minnie and stood next to her for the picture. When we were done as I was saying "Bye Minnie. Thanks" she shoved me in the back- and it felt like a distinct "get out of here shove", not a friendly goodbye pat. It isn't like we were taking up a huge amount of time or holding up the line that much- we just jumped in for a quick picture. I have no clue what I might have done that irritated her. Maybe it is because I do kind of turn into a 5 year old when I see Minnie or Mickey-maybe she found me annoying. :laughing: Kind of makes me wonder if your DH's cranky Mickey may have been "related" to our cranky Minnie.

I know that yes, they have the same people in the costumes but they also rotate them out. I can honestly say I've never seen a character push anyone, except in a playful manner....I wonder what the deal with that was....oh and DBF and I hop into photos all the time, usually at the request of the character.......

Well, they can unlearn English all they want, while I'm not currently fluent in French if I went to France I would be! lol And DD15 is in her second year of French, by the time we would be able to go (costs a lot to go to Paris lol) she would be going too and she's pretty fluent. lol :)

I only had one year French in school, so I am still trying to catch up. That actually makes it worse because a lot of French even brush off that you try. When we're in Italy most people notice I am trying, sometimes say thanks or ask how long I have been learning. In France they only give you the "that's not good enough" attitude as soon as they notice the slightest accent.

That's why I prefer to let boyfriend do the talking, his French is better that mine.

Still while I try to respect the country I am in and speak the language I do expect park employees not to treat foreigners as second class, and that happens way too often lately. Even if I wouldn't speak French: they advertise themselves as an international amusement park, so I expect some effort from their side too.

We go way less than in past years anyway because everything has become so expensive. We usually stayed four days - take three of that trip and we can as well come over to Anaheim for two weeks. :rolleyes1

Anyway, back to the OT:

I remembered that I had a cranky Mickey in Paris once too. LOL In Inventions (one of their character meals) I had pictures to get signed. He suddenly started going through my stash wildly, pointing and pulling. He seemed very mad. I called over a CM because I just couldn't figure out what he meant (usually they start whispering or something and the CM will "translate Mouse" as DBF calls it), but the CM couldn't or wouldn't help. To the day I am still wondering what I did wrong there.

Yeah... I think we're going to skip Disneyland Paris. Mickey Mouse should never appear angry. What a jerk. I'm not fond of visiting France anyway, Germany is way more fun and the people will take pity on you if you at least try to speak the language.

...one would think that a mickey at another different location would act differently but the fact that it happened twice is too funny...

Well, Mickey is Mickey is Mickey, after all, so if Mickey didn't want to hug your DH in one place, it would only make sense that Mickey would remember him later in the day. :goodvibes

Hope your DH wasn't too sad by it. Poor guy.

- Dreams

Well, Mickey is Mickey is Mickey, after all, so if Mickey didn't want to hug your DH in one place, it would only make sense that Mickey would remember him later in the day. :goodvibes

Hope your DH wasn't too sad by it. Poor guy.

- Dreams

lol, nope, he's not sad at all he has a great sense of humour :)

as for the french language thing, I know a couple of french people and they say that sometimes they truly don't understand what a foreigner is saying. just a slight change in pronunciation in a single word can do a huge difference in the meaning of what you're trying to say.

The same happens to those who (like me) aren't English native speakers in an English-speaking country. I had trouble with some words and sentences myself last week in California. And I know I was using correct English but something in my accent and intonation wasn't quite right (or so it seems). And then you see there's a lot of immigrants and a lot of tourists who speak really bad English, sometimes they're understood easily and sometimes they just get a shrug as a reply XD

I haven't had many bad experiences with french people in Paris. I've seen rude things happening but certainly not to me, everyone was quite understanding and appreciating the fact that I was trying hard to speak their language.

If you're ever in Paris you definitely should visit DLP, just be aware of the character thing. The park is beautiful and if you behave nicely you'll get nice treatment. The cast members are just not used to going beyond duty, but you can still have a great time.

The park is beautiful and if you behave nicely you'll get nice treatment. The cast members are just not used to going beyond duty, but you can still have a great time.

But remember the French understanding of nice is different then ours. It definitely does not include a bouncing 35 year old who's jumping for joy that Gaston offered her a picture. :laughing:

No, seriously: I think some CMs at Disneyland Paris do have some issues with adults who just enjoy being there and act "Disney". Maybe that counts as "going beyond duty" as you call it.

My DBF isn't really a Disney nut. He does like some rides, stands with me to take photos, and that's pretty much it. We've had it happen a couple of times that we got treated way differently by the same CM within a couple of minutes, even if he spoke English or German on purpose. But he's putting up with them being rude etc., and deals with the fact of not getting something rather by walking away. Like other posters have said, I have as much rights to a photo with a character as anyone else, so if someone thinks they can ignore me I will say something.

In general there's more things I'd warn people about though: maintenance (especially toilets) and smoking in line for example.

But remember the French understanding of nice is different then ours. It definitely does not include a bouncing 35 year old who's jumping for joy that Gaston offered her a picture. :laughing:

No, seriously: I think some CMs at Disneyland Paris do have some issues with adults who just enjoy being there and act "Disney". Maybe that counts as "going beyond duty" as you call it.

My DBF isn't really a Disney nut. He does like some rides, stands with me to take photos, and that's pretty much it. We've had it happen a couple of times that we got treated way differently by the same CM within a couple of minutes, even if he spoke English or German on purpose. But he's putting up with them being rude etc., and deals with the fact of not getting something rather by walking away. Like other posters have said, I have as much rights to a photo with a character as anyone else, so if someone thinks they can ignore me I will say something.

In general there's more things I'd warn people about though: maintenance (especially toilets) and smoking in line for example.

Mmmm... you're right. I have to say that I completely agree :)
Not to mention some other things as people farting openly in your face, lack of deodorant (not necessarily from french people), queue jumpers, parents making their kids pee in the attractions'queues, and yes, maintenance in the toilets is disgusting (do they use ammonia to clean them or is it pee smell?). I forgot about those smokers and alcohol being sold everywhere (I don't have anything against alcohol but I don't like it being served there, I don't know why) ;(

I still guess we've always been too lucky at DLP, we have yet to experience a really bad moment with CMs.
But we doubt we'll ever try to get a pic with a character at DLP :(

We're SO glad this year we went to DL! :)

Not to mention some other things as people farting openly in your face, lack of deodorant (not necessarily from french people), queue jumpers, parents making their kids pee in the attractions'queues, and yes, maintenance in the toilets is disgusting (do they use ammonia to clean them or is it pee smell?). I forgot about those smokers and alcohol being sold everywhere (I don't have anything against alcohol but I don't like it being served there, I don't know why) ;(

Or the kid spitting at me repeatedly and his parents thought it was perfectly alright. I had already successfully blocked that out of my memory. :sad2:

But I am really glad you liked DL. I only can come once a year, but I actually consider DL my home park, not Paris. When it turned out I culd come back (the plan was to go to Florida) I actually wrote an e-mail to my Californian friends saying I was coming home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter