• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

? About adding on direct

aheape1979

Mom of 2 princesses!
We purchased a 200 point AKV resale in November. We were on a Disney Cruise in January where they were encouraging add-on points. I know we cannot use our 200 points for ABD, cruises, or the other collections. If we purchased an add on contract through Disney, is there a way to transfer points from our 200 point resale to the add-on and book ABD or cruises if we wanted to? Otherwise, we would only add on through resale!
Thanks!

My guess would be no, since your original were not grandfathered points. You could bank and borrow from the ones you bought direct. However, call your guide to ask, maybe that could be done.

I have read threads with accounts of members being able to do this. However, I would caution you by saying that:

1. It was only one or two members, so it wasn't a big enough sample size to draw any conclusions.
  2. Nobody was sure if this was policy or simply a loophole.
  3. This was over 6 months ago, so if it was a loophole, I don't know if it has been closed.

So basically, I wouldn't count on it. Even if you could, it could change at any time and I don't think that it is enough of a reason to justify buying AKV direct right now, when resale can be had at more than half price.

We purchased a 200 point AKV resale in November. We were on a Disney Cruise in January where they were encouraging add-on points. I know we cannot use our 200 points for ABD, cruises, or the other collections. If we purchased an add on contract through Disney, is there a way to transfer points from our 200 point resale to the add-on and book ABD or cruises if we wanted to? Otherwise, we would only add on through resale!
Thanks!
I don't think this is possible, to simply do an add on and use all points as if they are qualified. You MIGHT be able to buy a separate contract and transfer points and do so but I too doubt it'll work or at least work ongoing. They other question is whether you could transfer in qualified points to your non qualified contract and do this but I find that unlikely as well.

I don't think so, either. But it wouldn't hurt to call your guide. If the answer is yes, then make sure it is part of the contract language for your direct purchase.

Even though you didn't ask (so feel free to ignore), I can't help but say IMO, you are better ff just saving each month in a vacation account and then paying cash for the cruises or ABDs you want to do. Much better to only buy the points you need for DVC resort stays.

I agree with Carol about :
1- It's highly unlikely that you could combine newly resale(Post 3/21/2011) and directly bought points for ABD,DCL. Call your guide, they are the only ones who know for sure,and yes even that perk could disappear .
2-I would continue to add -on thru resale and use the money saved by not buying direct for another cruise.

Thanks for the input! We don't plan to use he points for anything else right now, but it would be nice to have that option.

Thanks for the input! We don't plan to use he points for anything else right now, but it would be nice to have that option.
It's nice to have options but the cost difference is pretty significant for anything other than the smallest package.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter