Abductions at WDW

DebMcDonald

DIS Veteran
We all talk about getting things for our kids in case they get lost etc. But I just wondered everyone's thought on kids actually getting stollen from WDW, we've all probably seen the e.mail about the child being taken into the bathroom at WDW, clothes changed, hair dyed, whether it is real or not is another story. Do you think this is a concern at WDW, or more of a concern than just taking them to the mall, etc.

The reason I bring this up is I just bought the guest of honor bages for my kids for our August trip and my husband really really does not want the kids to wear them for fear of someone referring to them by name and even the possibility of someone learing them away because this person now knows there name.

Yes, we have had the talk with out kids about sticking beside us, not talking to strangers, but those talks only sink in so far.

No, it did not really happen, that e-mail is just spouting an urban legend. Refer to this article on Snopes.com

I would let them wear the badges. From what you said, it sounds like you've taught them well already on how to deal with strangers and what to do if lost.

I believe that these are urban myths. Check snopes.

As far as I know, no kid has ever been succescfully abducted from the Disney parks. There was a thread on this a while back.

You need to watch out for your kids, and teach them to stay safe. A name tag doesn't give an abductor any more information than standing in line behind you while you say "Janie, don't do that" a million times. (Exagerated, I know!) I wouldn't worry about it, but if you feel better, just give them the name tags to hang on their bulletin board at home.

Just a thought (and I don't have kids so take it for what it's worth)...

You said you've had "the talk" with your kids...an additional level of security at WDW (or any large place) might be to select a CODE word for you and your kids. If a stranger asks them to go with them for any reason, your kids can ask for the code word...if the stranger doesn't give them the right word, then they know to find a CM or police officer or some other appropriate person...

The code word can be anything, and can be easily changed...

Hope that helps some...

Growing up we always used the "code word" too. I plan to teach my daughter the same thing.

I HATE those (insert inappropriate for this board word here) GoH badges. Because I teach my kids that "people wearing this badge are Mickey's friends. If you get lost, talk to one of Mickey's friends." I know that the GoH badges aren't white, but I don't expect a three year old to actually get the whole color thing. I'm not normally paranoid on the whole pedophilia topic, but I think the GoH badges are a great cover for someone stalking children.

And I know a woman who was raped after a stranger called her by name in the parking lot at work. It was on her work badge, she thought "he knows my name, I must know him" and he managed to keep the conversation going long enough to get close. So I'm a little over sensitive on the "wearing things with names on them" topic.

I don't think wearing name badges makes a difference. If someone wanted to know the name of a child, all they would have to do is wait about 5 minutes for a parent to say "(Insert kids name here) stop hitting your sister".

Unless you don't plan on speaking your children's name in public, I doubt name badges give away much. The "talk" with your kids, and code word are a good idea.

I've been worrying about this too. I think if the characters knew his name he would warm up faster, but not many of them talk anyway do they? So what would be the benefit for having them otherwise. And I have always been told not to have anything with your child's name on them for safety's sake. I'm trying to decide if it is worth it.

I never let my child out of my sight or even more than about 2 feet away from me at places like WDW, but of course he is a preschooler. I think we actually tend to be more aware of what is going on with our children when we are in a crowded place like this, and that the chance of them being abducted at Disney is very little. However, where we need to be more aware is the places we feel "safe", like at our children's school or even at home. Yesterday, in Pinellas county, which is about an hour and a half from WDW, a four year old wandered over to his next door neighbor's yard and was abducted and molested by a man doing landscaping work in their yard....That is the kind of thing that really scares me.

SCOTTOHIOCPA said:
I don't think wearing name badges makes a difference. If someone wanted to know the name of a child, all they would have to do is wait about 5 minutes for a parent to say "(Insert kids name here) stop hitting your sister".

Unless you don't plan on speaking your children's name in public, I doubt name badges give away much. The "talk" with your kids, and code word are a good idea.

But to overhear your child's name and say it, they then have to wait for your child to be seperated from you....I think they are more likely to prey on lost children....and walking up to a kid with a namebadge with "Hi, McKenzie, are you lost, can I help you?" will be overwhelming.

I see at least one "temporarily misplaced" child a day at Disney.

I'm not worried about my kids when they are near me. I'm far more worried about the wrong person finding them when they've lost me."

crisi said:
I'm not worried about my kids when they are near me. I'm far more worried about the wrong person finding them when they've lost me."

Wow, this really hits close to home. Last night while shopping, my 4 year old DD wandered off. DH and DS15 were with us also, and each of us thought she was with one of the others. When we all met back up, we realized DD was missing. It was a horrifying feeling. We split up to look for her and DH found her at the service desk. Apparently a man had found her and brought her to the desk. I couldn't help but realize what could have happened and what this man could have done to my daughter. I am in tears now just thinking about it again. The thing that scares me the most is that she went with this stranger voluntarily. But when I think about it, if she was lost and scared, she wouldn't have known what to do, even though we have told the kids to find someone that works at a place if we get separated, if she couldn't find us, she probably wouldn't have been able to find an employee either. This just serves as a reminder that we need to re-emphasize to kids what to do in various situations so they know what to do if they get lost. We will certainly be doing this on a regular basis and then again before our trip to Disney. You can never be too careful.

Meredith

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter