• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ABD - Quest for West Wyoming 8/24/07-8/30/07

Computer Magic

Mouseketeer
I'm pretty new to posting on the DIS boards. I have been a Disney fan for many years and usually post on another board. I came over here because of the Adventure by Disney.

My wife and I want to do something different then WDW. Don't get me wrong, we love WDW. We went to WDW and stayed at WL in Sept. But we also thought about seeing other places like Yellowstone.

Now we get the best of both worlds, the comfort of a Disney Vacation to Yellowstone.

We just booked the trip this week for the week of Aug 24th through Aug 30th.

We will be flying out of Chicago. The only drawback I see is there is no nonstop flights that get us to Jackson Hole. The trip has some specific times to be there.

I welcome any tips, suggestions, pictures and if anyone else will be going during this time

:Pinkbounc

Good Morning!

Could you tell me where you will be staying at the second stop? Do you know if it will be the Snow lodge or cabins? Thanks for any help, my DH is also looking to do a trip other than WDW, though I think I could go every year! ;)

kmermaid said:
Good Morning!

Could you tell me where you will be staying at the second stop? Do you know if it will be the Snow lodge or cabins? Thanks for any help, my DH is also looking to do a trip other than WDW, though I think I could go every year! ;)
From my understading...it will be a cabin stay.

There is one cabin that looks no bigger then an out house. I hope it's not that one. But getting info out of Disney is hard regarding these trips. Diseny tells us all standard rooms.

There are three hotels on this Adventure.

1) The Wort Hotel in Jackson Hole
2) The Old Faithful Snow Lodge in Yellowstone
3) The Brooks Lake Lodge

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Hi from out west. I live about 1.5 hours south of jackson on our family horse ranch.

There are no direct flights because Jackson is a small airport. Everything in and out must go thru another major hub. For us it is Salt Lake City, on Delta.

The Wort is a very historical hotel in downtown Jackson. The manager is a very dedicated man and the staff is truly concerned about making your stay the best. The food is great at the silver dollar but locals hang out at brew pub or the cadillac for happy hour. My Church, no God's Church, St. John's is just a block away.

If you have been to WL at WDW then you will immediately notice the resemblance at Old faithful. We never stay at WL because it would seem fakey to us. We live it and want to get away for our holiday. OKW for us.

However it is a wonderful lodge, I love the logs, the stairs, the river rock fireplace. There is no A/C and august is hot but the nites are cool, so much so that you will need a sweatshirt.

The river trips on the snake are fun. We run the search and rescue raft or our own and do the white water run in the canyon. Take time and talk to the locals. We are a fun bunch with knowledge of the secret places. After hitting Kahona make sure to look for the baldies in the trees to the left.

I thank God that I live where most people dream of coming to. Unfortunately, I am not on holiday and I have horses to feed, snow to plow, farming to get done, but when we play, we play hard.

Wishing the best trip, April

tacomaranch said:
Hi from out west. I live about 1.5 hours south of jackson on our family horse ranch.

There are no direct flights because Jackson is a small airport. Everything in and out must go thru another major hub. For us it is Salt Lake City, on Delta.

The Wort is a very historical hotel in downtown Jackson. The manager is a very dedicated man and the staff is truly concerned about making your stay the best. The food is great at the silver dollar but locals hang out at brew pub or the cadillac for happy hour. My Church, no God's Church, St. John's is just a block away.

If you have been to WL at WDW then you will immediately notice the resemblance at Old faithful. We never stay at WL because it would seem fakey to us. We live it and want to get away for our holiday. OKW for us.

However it is a wonderful lodge, I love the logs, the stairs, the river rock fireplace. There is no A/C and august is hot but the nites are cool, so much so that you will need a sweatshirt.

The river trips on the snake are fun. We run the search and rescue raft or our own and do the white water run in the canyon. Take time and talk to the locals. We are a fun bunch with knowledge of the secret places. After hitting Kahona make sure to look for the baldies in the trees to the left.

I thank God that I live where most people dream of coming to. Unfortunately, I am not on holiday and I have horses to feed, snow to plow, farming to get done, but when we play, we play hard.

Wishing the best trip, April
thanks for the great post. We are looking forward to visiting your wonderful state.

After this trip we might not look at WL the same. Except maybe to remind us of the wonderful time in Wyoming

I hope you don't have to use the search and rescue raft on us ;)

I notice Chicago AA has direct flights from Dec through April. That must be a big ski season or something.

I will look for the locals they have the best stories :wave2:

PS thanks for the sweater tip....my wife gets cold

DisneyKevin said:
There are three hotels on this Adventure.

1) The Wort Hotel in Jackson Hole
2) The Old Faithful Snow Lodge in Yellowstone
3) The Brooks Lake Lodge

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Sounds like a fabulous trip! I lived Wyoming for 35 years before moving to Colorado 4 years ago. The Wort is a great Hotel. It has the amazing "Silver Dollar Bar" with hundreds of Old Indian Head Dollars embedded in the top of the bar. It is a great staff! It's only a block off of town square, where there is great shopping. Don't miss the World Famous Cowboy Bar!

Brooks Lake Lodge. This is one of my favorite places in all of Wyoming. I used to camp on the other side of Brooks Lake from the lodge. The peaks towering above the lakes are called the Pinnacles-- spectacular! This is grizzly country, so follow the precautions they will give you at the lodge. Nothing to be scared of-- just be aware!

Brooks Lake is a total recharge place. Quiet , beautiful and serene. I'm taking my family up there in June and on to Yellowstone.

Important tip-- When you pack, take layers for clothing. Late August in NW Wyoming can be very chilly at night (temps in the 30'sand 40's) I have seen it snow up there in late August, too... :thumbsup2. Days should be warm (70s to low 80s).

I miss it just thinking about it! Snow Lodge is beautiful and make sure you tour Old Faithful Lodge. At one time it was the largest log structure in the world!

No -direct flight JH, but what a view as you fly in! 13,000+ foot peaks as you setlle into the valley below 7,000 feet below! JH has the only airport actually insiode a National Park.

HI Computer Magic, I am pretty sure I will be taking this same tour with one of my nieces, I just need to confirm with her parents that this week is fine to take her away. Hope to see on 8/24.

puggymom said:
HI Computer Magic, I am pretty sure I will be taking this same tour with one of my nieces, I just need to confirm with her parents that this week is fine to take her away. Hope to see on 8/24.
Cool. It would be nice to get to know a few people before arriving.

Let me know if everything goes as planned.

My niece and I are booked, had to take advanage of that early booking discount, that will help cover the airfare (or at least most of it). I can' t wait, now I need to add another ticker to my siggy. :cool1:

puggymom said:
My niece and I are booked, had to take advanage of that early booking discount, that will help cover the airfare (or at least most of it). I can' t wait, now I need to add another ticker to my siggy. :cool1:
well, I guess we will see you there. We will be flying out of Chicago :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter