ABD Greece 2016 Trip Report

CaliforniaGirl09

DIS Veteran
We arrived in Athens early this morning after a very long travel day(s) from the West Coast. We left at about 7 pm our time on the 26th, had a red-eye to Frankfurt and then a 6 hour layover--ouch--before a 2.5 hour flight to Athens that arrived at 12:30 am. By time we got to the hotel it was 2 am on the 28th. It felt like we lost the 27th!

Here was our view for 6 hours--you are looking at my makeshift bed :) It was actually much more comfortable than the flight. We all snoozed for a while--the place was empty when we arrived.
DSC00836.jpeg

The good news is that the flights were free on miles for all four of us (me, DH, DS19 and DD16) and both were on time. The SFO to FRA leg was on United and the FRA to ATH leg was on Lufthansa. I really liked the Lufthansa flight--tons of leg room. The United flight? Not so much. I looked longingly at business. [BTW, following up on an earlier thread, Lufthansa has a 17lb limit for the carry-on, but they did not weigh any of our bags.] For those flying through FRA... leave plenty of time for border control. There was a huge line, and it was the only time I was glad I had such a long layover, LOL.

The ABD driver who picked us up (we had one pre-night booked although it was for less than 12 hours at the same hotel so it was included) was very nice and the trip was uneventful. He did point out the old airport where they are housing the refugees now. He said there aren't many coming anymore.

One funny anecdote... I was commenting that "I guess we are in the red light district" when we went past a bunch of sex shows/strip bars, and all of the sudden he turns the car into the hotel! Apparently, they are close, but it's not a bad part of town.

We booked a family room for the pre-night, and I was throughly impressed. Much much nicer than the adjoining twin rooms we are in now with ABD. We would have asked to stay in it if it had two bathrooms. But with 4 people the two bathrooms are huge. Excuse the mess. This was taken in the morning. I was too exhausted when we arrived to remember to take a pic. Check out the sitting room though!
DSC00841.jpeg DSC00842.jpeg
We all took Melatonin to back get on track as quickly as possible as the ABD started the night we arrived, and it seemed to work for the first night at least. We woke up at 10:45 am.

Because of the long flight and early morning arrival, I didn't plan much the first day. I figured we all would be exhausted and didn't want to push it. There was also the heat ... ah, the heat. Expected but still a shock to this Californian's 70 degree system. 90+ and humid is just something you can't prepare for, LOL. Supposed to get hotter as the week goes on. Fun.

Anyway, we did the poet sandal maker (famous sandals) that took us a while to find, and then took a metro ride to the National Archeology Museum. DD16 wants to be an archeologist so it was a must do. Both were very fun.

You need cash for the sandals, which range 40 euros and up--and it's quite an efficient system. They fit you for the sandals, and then trim and put nails in the straps to keep them in place. Probably took 45 minutes overall with tons of Americans in and out. No AC in the shop though. You can google the poet sandal maker and read all about them. I ended up with the John Lennon's and DD ended up with the Cleopatras.
DSC00844.jpeg DSC00851.jpeg

We'd planned to walk but were pretty sapped after the hot shop and decided to take the Metro. It was easy and fast, but we were warned multiple time--including by the ticketing agent--to watch our bags and wallets very closely. Apparently the section we were on was one of the worst for thieves.

Thankfully we arrived at the museum with all our things intact.
DSC00849.jpeg
Definitely a must do for anyone interested in antiquities. We downloaded the Rick Steves podcast before we went, but ended up listening to only part of it as we didn't have two hours.

By time we got back and switched rooms (they'd put us in smoking rooms initially this morning), we only had a few minutes to get ready for the meet & greet at 6 pm. Our two guides are Mary & Chris, and both seem awesome (as usual with ABD Guides). Ironically Chris is from Oakland, which is very close to our home.

DSC00850.jpeg

We did the intro in one room and then went into the restaurant for a very nice buffet meal. The group is about 35 with lots of older teens and young adults--wonderful for my kids. I counted only three younger kids (below 13 or so). Very happy about the group size, which is pretty ideal--especially after our disappointing 49 lsat summer. Should have mentioned this is our 5th ABD. We've done Ireland, Scotland, Backstage Magic, & the Baltic Add-on. We are signed up for #6 (China) next summer.

Well, I'm sure I forgot something--totally brain dead--but I need to go to sleep. Early wake up call tomorrow.

I've heard great things about Mary, and you have Chris!! Tell him "Hello" from me! I don't know if he remembers, but he was one of the Guides on my very first ABD (Southwest Splendors) and he is spectacular! Tell him it was the trip where it snowed in May at the Grand Canyon! :)

Looking forward to more!

Sayhello

Interesting comment about passport control in Frankfurt! When we went through there last year, it was a ghost town! I think the only people going through (besides pilots) were the passengers from our flight, and since we were some of the first people off, we breezed right through! This was around noon-ish on a Saturday, too! We also flew United, on a 777. I thought it was cramped until we took the 767 home from Munich. Never again! That was actually one of the reasons I didn't book our trip to Italy on United via FRA. IDK that the 747 was any bigger, in terms of leg room, but the flight to Amsterdam was shorter (and for me, every minute counts!).

Excited to read the rest of your report!

Love the sandals! How fun :) It reminds me of having sandals made at Pompeii Sandals on the Med cruise we did together. Looking forward to the rest of the trip report. You'll have commiseration about the heat as soon as we get to China, LOL.

Chris is there! So jealous! Tell him he better be coming to Peru in December. Have a great time. This is one of the BEST trips.

The sandals are super cute, and more comfortable than I expected without being broken in, but I wasn't brave enough to wear them today, LOL.

I've heard great things about Mary, and you have Chris!! Tell him "Hello" from me! I don't know if he remembers, but he was one of the Guides on my very first ABD (Southwest Splendors) and he is spectacular! Tell him it was the trip where it snowed in May at the Grand Canyon! :)

Looking forward to more!

Sayhello
I passed on your hello's and he remembered you!

Interesting comment about passport control in Frankfurt! When we went through there last year, it was a ghost town! I think the only people going through (besides pilots) were the passengers from our flight, and since we were some of the first people off, we breezed right through! This was around noon-ish on a Saturday, too! We also flew United, on a 777. I thought it was cramped until we took the 767 home from Munich. Never again! That was actually one of the reasons I didn't book our trip to Italy on United via FRA. IDK that the 747 was any bigger, in terms of leg room, but the flight to Amsterdam was shorter (and for me, every minute counts!).

Excited to read the rest of your report!

Very funny! It must depend on how many flights arrive at the same time. I think we landed at 2:55. The United plane was cramped and uncomfortable. I'm not sure who does the ergonomics on those seats but they are all wrong. The Lufthansa ones were noticeably different.

Love the sandals! How fun :) It reminds me of having sandals made at Pompeii Sandals on the Med cruise we did together. Looking forward to the rest of the trip report. You'll have commiseration about the heat as soon as we get to China, LOL.

It is really really hot. It just saps the energy. You forget how uncomfortable it is. Reminded me of the sandals place we did in Italy, too--but this place was a bit more of an "experience." Pretty funny.

Chris is there! So jealous! Tell him he better be coming to Peru in December. Have a great time. This is one of the BEST trips.
I will. Let me know if you want to pass on your name. He's a great guy. Already really like him.

ABD Day #2 (First Full Day):
Woke up to the horrible news of the terror attack at the Istanbul airport. Let's just say I'm glad I didn't do the Turkish Airline flights I was looking at. So scary.

We had a long break this afternoon--basically from 12:30 to 6:30--so I'm taking the opportunity to get a jump on this morning's activities while they are still fresh. Of course, I've already forgotten half the names of the things we saw. But today was one of the money days for DD16 (the want to be archeologist): the Acropolis and Parthenon. They did not disappoint.

We were up early to have breakfast at the hotel. I will try to take pictures tomorrow morning, but it's quite the spread. Pretty much everything you could ask for and the food was all really good. Meeting time was 8 am to beat the crowds to the Acropolis. It most worked. There were still a lot of people, but on the way back down it was packed. The first stop while Chris went ahead to buy tickets was Mars Hill where St. Paul preached. The views were great, although they got even better higher up.
DSC00852.jpeg

view of the Acropolis from Mars Hill:
DSC00862.jpeg

DD's Panorama (I'm too lazy to figure out how to do it on the new camera but apparently for 16 year olds it's instinctive).
DSC00867.jpeg

View of the Amphitheater below the Parthenon (I can't remember the name--I'll edit when I have a chance to look up). EDITED: It's the Theater of Dionysus.
DSC00870.jpeg

Temple of Athena Nike
DSC00874.jpeg

Temple of Zeus from above. We didn't get a chance to visit this. Apparently they changed the ticketing and the Acropolis ticket no longer covers it.
DSC00883.jpeg

The Parthenon. I've seen the Elgin Marbles many times at the British Museum and now we finally see where they came from. The Greeks' efforts to get them back were mentioned a number of times by our guide. They aren't happy about it--especially with the new Acropolis museum. Absolutely gorgeous day. Mary told us that the colors of the Greek flags come from the white marble against the blue sky.
DSC00885.jpeg

DS and DD in front of the Parthenon.
DSC00889.jpeg

Another temple I'll have to add the name of later... EDITED: Theater of Erechtheum.
DSC00893.jpeg

Part 2 after dinner if I'm not too exhausted :)

Attachments

• DSC00909.jpeg
    DSC00909.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Beautiful! Totally following your report...we are booked on the last ABD Greece trip this year, the adults only trip, and we are SO excited for it. This will be our first ABD.

Lovely! And I think the Acropolis day was the warmest day we had in Greece. The weather got much more pleasant as we went along. I hope that's true for you guys.

That last temple is called the Erechtheion. :) With a portico held up by the Karyatides, the originals of which, last I heard, were in the Museum of the Acropolis. You really should check out the Museum of the Acropolis if you get a chance. Your daughter would love it. It sits over an excavation, and they have glass panels in the floor so you can look down into it.

Sayhello

Last edited:
ABD Day #2 (First Full Day):
Woke up to the horrible news of the terror attack at the Istanbul airport. Let's just say I'm glad I didn't do the Turkish Airline flights I was looking at. So scary.

We had a long break this afternoon--basically from 12:30 to 6:30--so I'm taking the opportunity to get a jump on this morning's activities while they are still fresh. Of course, I've already forgotten half the names of the things we saw. But today was one of the money days for DD16 (the want to be archeologist): the Acropolis and Parthenon. They did not disappoint.

We were up early to have breakfast at the hotel. I will try to take pictures tomorrow morning, but it's quite the spread. Pretty much everything you could ask for and the food was all really good. Meeting time was 8 am to beat the crowds to the Acropolis. It most worked. There were still a lot of people, but on the way back down it was packed. The first stop while Chris went ahead to buy tickets was Mars Hill where St. Paul preached. The views were great, although they got even better higher up.
View attachment 178183

view of the Acropolis from Mars Hill:
View attachment 178184

DD's Panorama (I'm too lazy to figure out how to do it on the new camera but apparently for 16 year olds it's instinctive).
View attachment 178185

View of the Amphitheater below the Parthenon (I can't remember the name--I'll edit when I have a chance to look up).
View attachment 178186

Temple of Athena Nike
View attachment 178187

Temple of Zeus from above. We didn't get a chance to visit this. Apparently they changed the ticketing and the Acropolis ticket no longer covers it.
View attachment 178188

The Parthenon. I've seen the Elgin Marbles many times at the British Museum and now we finally see where they came from. The Greeks' efforts to get them back were mentioned a number of times by our guide. They aren't happy about it--especially with the new Acropolis museum. Absolutely gorgeous day. Mary told us that the colors of the Greek flags come from the white marble against the blue sky.
View attachment 178189

DS and DD in front of the Parthenon.
View attachment 178190

Another temple I'll have to add the name of later...
View attachment 178191

Part 2 after dinner if I'm not too exhausted :)
It looks like you are getting to go on quite the adventure! Thank you for sharing :)

The sandals are super cute, and more comfortable than I expected without being broken in, but I wasn't brave enough to wear them today, LOL.

I passed on your hello's and he remembered you!

Very funny! It must depend on how many flights arrive at the same time. I think we landed at 2:55. The United plane was cramped and uncomfortable. I'm not sure who does the ergonomics on those seats but they are all wrong. The Lufthansa ones were noticeably different.

It is really really hot. It just saps the energy. You forget how uncomfortable it is. Reminded me of the sandals place we did in Italy, too--but this place was a bit more of an "experience." Pretty funny.

I will. Let me know if you want to pass on your name. He's a great guy. Already really like him.
Yes, We are Cindy, Adam, and Nick from December 2015 SE Asia. Chris is awesome. One of our very favorite guides. He does all the really tough logistical trips and does an amazing job. Plus, he's hilarious!

We had Mary and Chris in our Greece trip too!! Mary is a wealth of knowledge and Chris is prob one of the best ABD guides out there! You're in for a treat!!!

Part 2 of Day #2:

Love all the Chris and Mary love. We've been very impressed with both of them so far.

After the Acropolis we rebounded the bus and drove to the Plaka and Acropolis Museum area. It was on our own time for lunch and ABD would also pay for our visit to the Acropolis Museum. I think the guides were surprised when all 35 of us wanted tickets for the museum, LOL. SAYHELLO, you anticipated me. We decided to do the museum first and it was wonderful. The one difficulty was discerning the "originals" from the plaster casts. I loved the third level which is the exact dimensions of the Parthenon. Walking around you get a real sense for how big it is, and how it must have looked. I also *loved* the glass floors where you can peer down to the lower levels and the ruins beneath the museum.

I tried to take a picture of the ruins below, but there's too much reflection.
DSC00915.jpeg

The ruins beneath the museum.
DSC00917.jpeg DSC00917.jpeg

After the museum we were pretty hungry and went to one of the restaurants in the Plaka recommended by the guides. Unfortunately, we didn't end up eating there as we ran into a problem that is turning out to be common around Athens (so further travelers take note!). Apparently the horrible economy has resulted in a lot of businesses no longer accepting credit cards! We brought Euros, but clearly not enough to be eating big lunches and dinners on our own. Frankly, it's been a hassle. Dear Greece: I would be spending a lot more money in your country if you took credit cards! I think Calfan and Calypso will understand that it now goes agains my nature to spend cash, which is basically missing out on miles! Anyway, it ended up being a good thing as we found an amazing gyro place and all of us ate for under 15 euros. If you've ever had the gyros on the Disney ships... this is NOTHING like that, LOL. They really were delicious, and I could have easily had two, but refrained :)

(Yes, those are french fries in there!)
IMG_5649.JPG

We decided to walk back from the Plaka to the hotel rather than go back with the group on the bus (we would have had to wait). Mary said it was "about 10 minutes." I learned later that was Greek time, LOL. It was a good 1.5 mlles and wasn't necessarily through the most interesting or nicest part of town. We are fast walkers and it took us at least twenty minutes. The one bummer about the hotel is that it's kind of out of the way and there isn't much around it. They also don't sell bottles of water as we learned when we returned very hot, sweaty and thirsty. The hotel is nice, but not as luxurious as some of the other Disney hotels we've stayed at with ABD. It tries hard though :) The water bummed me out. I was feeling pretty dehydrated and wished I'd grabbed a bunch from the bus. The tap water is supposedly fine. I guess we'll find out...

I'm a big shopper, but the Plaka didn't really do it for me. Lots of souvenir type shops and we'd already bought our sandals. Because we didn't walk around much, we ended up having tons of time in the afternoon. I ended up dozing a little, and DH & DS hit the pool. After showering up we met the group for dinner and a small surprise before hand. It wasn't the type that I think anyone would mind ruining... but skip if you don't like spoilers. We went to see the changing of the guard at Parliament.

DSC00919.jpeg
DSC00920.jpeg

This was only a couple minute stop and we were on to dinner at a traditional Greek taverna with Greek dancers. Very fun and the food was good. Most of the group got up to join in the dancing, and it was pretty funny.

DSC00929.jpeg

DSC00923.jpeg

Food was served by plates--this was the meat and potato portion (with pita bread).
DSC00930.jpeg

My initial impressions of Athens is that it's a very cool city, but not one that I'm necessarily going to be rushing to get back to. I loved the ancient sites, but the traffic is horrible and dodging smoke isn't easy. It's not "insta-love" for me like London, Rome & Stockholm. Very cool though.

One funny thing... apparently the pipes around the city aren't equipped for anything non-organic (which is the nicest way I could think of saying it), including toilet paper. In many places you will see buckets next to the toilet with instruction not to put paper down. First for me, and it took a bit of getting used to, LOL.

Mary is fantastic, please tell her hello for me. Including the tickets to museum is new which is nice. I really enjoyed it but had to pay. I enjoyed the shopping in Santorini better.

Chandra

So glad you went to the Acropolis Museum! I thought it was wonderful! Too bad all they have is reproductions of the Elgin Marbles! But it definitely made me want to go see the originals the next time I was in London! Did you go up to the cafeteria (which actually has excellent food)? The view from there is fabulous!

I agree with Chandra, the shopping on Santorini is much better. I didn't end up buying anything in the Plaka either.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter