• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ABC Commissary

I think some of the disparity between people either loving it or hating it, could depend on whether the restaurant is having an off day. Electric Umbrella is one of my favorite fast food places at Epcot (I used to love getting the chicken tenders there - I guess I'll have to try the nuggets), but about one out of six visits, I will somehow time my visit to get food that has obviously been sitting around a while. It will be cold, and otherwise, inedible. The other five times, it will taste delicious - like it came fresh from the grill or fryer right to my tray. I know this happens every so often, so it doesn't put me off eating there. I'm just disappointed when it happens.

I've eaten at the Commissary a few times, and so far, I haven't hit an off day. But I can see where it could happen. There are some foods that just aren't so good if they are prepared well in advance.

We ate there in June and the hamburgers are NOT GOOD. Not sure about everything else. The kids seemed to enjoy the chicken nuggets and french fries.

Sandra

We've eaten there a couple of times, once in '95 and once in '06 and both times were terrible. I had to throw most of mine away the last time. There was no way I could chew it, it was so over cooked.

It truly must be one of those roll of the dice, luck of the draw kind of places.

We ate here in 06. Food was awful, service was poor, but the worst was the cleanliness. I would NEVER eat there again after seeing it in such deplorable condition - health dept probably would have shut it down...

What, exactly, IS a Cuban sandwich? I've seen it on the menu, but never asked what it was.

Very clean, very good service, excellent food during our trips. It really seems like we're all talking about completely different eateries! :rotfl:

Cuban sandwich is a variation of a ham and cheese sandwich, with pickles. Yum!!!!

We went there about 3 years ago. It was quite horrific! Long wait, cold food. Looked like a hurricane had whipped thru the restaurant. Trash was hanging out of the cans. More food on the floor than what was being served. Was completely opposite of the experiences we have had at Disney. We also vowed to never cross the threshold into this pit of torment again. Seems like it has turned around as of late. Still don't know if I could ever try it again. So many great places to eat at Disney.

Our family ate at ABC this past Thursday. Kids meals were unremarkable, though I appreciate the overall trend toward providing healthy side options, like grapes, baby carrots, milk, and unsweetened applesauce. I lurved my cuban sandwich - ham, cheese, pickles and mustard sort of panini-pressed. Hubby was so-so re: his fish and chips. The restaurant is very spacious and ACed, but all the overhead TVs are running promos for ABC shows. We were there about 40 minutes, and I recall promos for: Lost, Dancing with the Stars, Hannah, Eli Stone and GMA. I'm sure there were more. There was a restaurant I remember from a few years ago on the Backlot that had only outside seating (not a good bet during Fay!), but great options like hummus and tabboleah (sp!). Can't remember the name though. ABC - I don't think you can go wrong, but I also don't see being overly impressed.

We ate there in October last year and thought it was great.

Really liked the Cuban sandwich and the Fish & Chips were fine. The best part was how uncrowded it was, and i'm sure it was prime lunch time.

The cleanliness was very good as well. In fact, a CM was cleaning the self-serve area (where you get ketchup, silverware, etc.) when we went thru the line.
:confused3

We love ABC Commissary. The cuban sandwiches, curry and the fact its always been spotlessly clean and very cool all make it a nice place to relax and eat. I also really like their chocolate mousse.

Everybody has different tastes, but this one has not disappointed us the last few visits. It makes my Top 5 of counter service places along with Wolfgang Puck's Express, Yakitori House, Flame Tree BBQ, and Artist's Palette.

I also like to watch the tv show clips.

Hmmmm......after eating at ABC Commissary in '06 we put it on our "never again" list. It was gross! Maybe it's changed:confused3 ?

We thought the ABC commissary was fairly gross when we have tried it.
I guess maybe we have hit it at bad times.

We had three bad experiences between 2006 and 2007...We will not go back again...Three times (once at lunch and twice for dinner) was enough chances for us....The food was just bad....

I agree that the place is not crowded and you can relax there...And the menu has a good size selection of food....And I am glad that some of you did not have the bad experiences we have had....Because the food was just not good the three times we have been there....

Last time we went the little ones would not even eat the chicken nuggets...One son would not even try them because they looked so bad and the other son had just one...They did not eat the fries either....You know something is wrong when you cannot get a 2 and 3 year old to eat a chicken nugget or fries...We had to leave to grab a few snacks for dinner instead.

I love ABC Commissary! There is always plenty of seats, and the lines are never that long. As someone who is a lover of cheeseburgers and fries (eat them everyday down there, never gets old) :) they are great. Pretty much taste the same as the rest of the CS restaurants. It's cool in there, good place to relax. Thumbs up from me.

Wow, they must have changed who runs the place. The last meal I had there was so nasty that I refused to eat there this past May. I went hungry instead, which should tell you how bad the food I had before was.

Id have to agree with half of that statement, based on my exp there last summer. The food was yuck. My burger was cold, as were the fries. Kids fish was way greasy (as in puddle of grease) parfait may have been glue instead of custard:sad2: I didnt eat. One bite of my burger, one taste of dessert, and one fry was plenty of this food for me. DH ate DD2s fish that she refused, after trying to remove some of the grease with napkins, and ate the curry w/ out complaint, but mentioned he wished he'd gotten a cuban sammy instead :confused3

As for going hungry, I can't understand it. There are so many choices of snacks and CS in each of the 4 parks, ranging from burgers/ dogs, to ice cream, pretzels, fresh fruit, as well as a bakery and confectionary... I would never leave hungry. But thats just me. I am much more likely to make a pig of myself and regret it than starve :upsidedow

It is really strange, because our good experiences at ABC Commissary were in 2004, 2006 and 2007. :confused3

The Commissary is one of the few places on Disney property where we have consistently had bad experiences, no matter what the meal (Breakfast, lunch). I'm surprised that others have enjoyed it. I had written it off, but we may have to try it again someday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter