• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Abandoned at Dinner

Wislodgers

Mouseketeer
Our family (DH, myself, DD 22, DS 19, DS 12) took our first cruise last summer. It was a magical time and we truly enjoyed the experience and can't wait to go back! We had a funny thing happen, well, at least we enjoyed the humor in it.....The first dinner seating we were placed at a table for 8. A very quiet family was seated with us, a mom, dad and young teenage daughter. We had the usual polite dinner conversation, but there was no "bonding" happening ;) The second night when we arrived for dinner the other family was no where to be found. Our server asked us if we knew where they were....ummm, no we didn't.....We waited a bit, then the server finally took our dinner orders when he realized they would not be joining us. I thought it was a little odd how long we had to wait for the other family. The server jokingly asked what we did to scare them off. We just laughed about it and had a fun time at dinner. On the way out of the restaurant was "our other table family"! We just politely acknowledged them as we passed by. It was a running joke the entire cruise how we scared a family off from just one dinner and my family still laughs when someone brings it up. We have decided that on our next cruise we will just ask for our own table so we don't have to suffer the feeling of abandonment again!:lmao::lmao:

On ours, we were at a table for 8 with 2 couples who had asked to sit together (there were 3 of us). At the end of dinner they told us they were switching rotations to be with their servers from the prior cruise.

So at every meal we sat at a table for 8. They did finally stop setting it for 8, but originally I don't think our servers understood that these people weren't coming back.

Nancy

We went on the Fantasy and requested a table just for the 4 of us. We are not anti-social it's that we a son on the autism spectrum with feeding issues. We didn't want to ruin it for someone else.

We really didn't mind at all that they asked to be moved to their own table. Everyone should be comfortable and have fun on their cruise. It was the next night at dinner that the server informed us they moved to a different table, but we already knew. It is odd he wasn't informed the night they moved, because he was looking for them and waiting to place our orders.

I especially understand when you have children with special needs. davele4, It sure would not bother my family to share a table with your family, we would enjoy it! But alas, I believe my family is meant to eat alone!:rotfl2:

Sometimes the head servers miss the request to dine alone, and so that 1st night is awkward if you're placed with someone else but they wanted their own table to begin with. I'm sure it wasn't personal.

In my old job, I had to talk to people alllllllllllll the time. Usually about something horrible. Even on company retreats and parties (which happened frequently) my DH and I had to make small talk with my bosses (and I had 30 of them) for the advancement of my career. So on vacation I made it a point to eat with my family and enjoy their company. No small talk with strangers allowed :thumbsup2 If we were placed with another family, I would move too. But I would tell the other family that it wasn't personal :beach:

I wonder if many people don't realize that they could be seated with other people?

If someone wasn't expecting to be put with others it could be quite off-putting?

On my first cruise back in 2007, my BFF and I sailed together and were sat at a table of 8. One family was a man and woman and a child. Then there was another couple. Somehow at that dinner the topic of tipping came up. The couple with the child did not know they would have to tip and looked horrified. They never showed up again. Saw them many times afterwards up in Topsiders. I suspect they thought then they would not have to tip? Didn't mind them leaving as their child was the kind that crawled under the table. Also, the couple kept repeating about the child vomiting all the time. GREAT dinner conversation.

The other couple was insulted by the server. (and yes, the server was horrible) They didn't show up again either.

So my friend and I had an 8 top the rest of the cruise. We hated that - a great big round table with two people. One of the nights they sat the magician and his assistant with us and that was interesting at least.

I have just phoned up DCL to request our dining rotation and in the conversation the CM asked why we had requested a table for two and were we anti-social. :rolleyes1 I felt this was a weird question to ask. :confused3 Like others we have been seated before on a large table of 10 and although we did not have a bad time it was also not a fantastic time, Plus the bigger the table the longer the meal.

I have just phoned up DCL to request our dining rotation and in the conversation the CM asked why we had requested a table for two and were we anti-social. :rolleyes1

I had one CM ask me that on the phone too. I told him "Yes" and allowed it to be silent until he laughed uncomfortably. ;)

Unless that CM was joking, that was rude of her. But I bet she was joking. :flower3:

Wislodgers - same thing happened on our first cruise in 2005 although I am not sure they said a word to us on the first night.

We sat down our first night, three of us. Another family was being sweated with us and they were furious that they had to share a table.....very rude. We never saw them again and refused to eat with us that night.

We are a family of 5. I requested a table alone and explained that my son has a weird thing about people watching him eat. I'm hoping they will note that and sit us alone. I thought I could call them again when we get closer to make sure they noted the request (realizing it still may not happen). I would actually feel bad if anyone had to sit with us. We never shut up :lmao:.

I especially understand when you have children with special needs. davele4, It sure would not bother my family to share a table with your family, we would enjoy it! But alas, I believe my family is meant to eat alone!:rotfl2:

Thanks, that's so sweet. He is actually very good, but he wasn't chewing at the time (4 yrs old) and his food needed to be prepared a certain way for every meal. Sometimes people looked at us like we were crazy and we get very tired having to explain every time. Good news is, he is 5 now and finally chewing and trying new things.

On our next cruise I would try sitting with others for a different experience and see how it goes. We like meeting new people and I've heard other family members making new friends that they still keep in touch with.

I would prefer to have a table to ourselves. Its awkward to sit with strangers and try to have a conversation. I am very much an introvert, love my privacy, but deal with table mates. Our Disney cruise, we had a nice grandmother, mother and daughter, so its not that bad. On my NCL cruise in Sept they have anytime seating. LOVED IT!! Just me and My mom. We would go just when dining opened, had a table for two next to the window, usually the only one in the room. Had the rest of the night to relax without waiting forever to eat.

We are a family of 5. I requested a table alone and explained that my son has a weird thing about people watching him eat. I'm hoping they will note that and sit us alone. I thought I could call them again when we get closer to make sure they noted the request (realizing it still may not happen). I would actually feel bad if anyone had to sit with us. We never shut up :lmao:.

We didn't have a problem when we requested a table for 4 due to my son's issues. They were very accommodating. We went with another family who has an autistic son as well, and they also got a table for themselves. We sat close to each other but also had our privacy.

What is the usual table size? We have always gone with big groups so we always ate together. On our next cruise there is six of us. Do you think they would sit us in a group or should I request our own table? I am not antisocial but on vacation just like to relax and spend time with the family....plus my kids are pretty shy!

On our first cruise my family of 4 was seated with a family of 4. Their older child didn't talk, that I ever heard, and the younger one they actually had on a LEASH (2 or 3 maybe)...we spent several awkward dinners of them being very disapproving of us for actually allowing our kids to go places on the ship alone (they were 14 and 11 at the time.) While I wanted to throw my comments to them about them having a kid on a leash..I didn't. It just wasn't the experience I wanted to have on vacation.

On our next cruise I will request we sit alone because it is a great time for our family unit to come back together and share experiences. :)

Our family (DH, myself, DD 22, DS 19, DS 12) took our first cruise last summer. It was a magical time and we truly enjoyed the experience and can't wait to go back! We had a funny thing happen, well, at least we enjoyed the humor in it.....The first dinner seating we were placed at a table for 8. A very quiet family was seated with us, a mom, dad and young teenage daughter. We had the usual polite dinner conversation, but there was no "bonding" happening ;) The second night when we arrived for dinner the other family was no where to be found. Our server asked us if we knew where they were....ummm, no we didn't.....We waited a bit, then the server finally took our dinner orders when he realized they would not be joining us. I thought it was a little odd how long we had to wait for the other family. The server jokingly asked what we did to scare them off. We just laughed about it and had a fun time at dinner. On the way out of the restaurant was "our other table family"! We just politely acknowledged them as we passed by. It was a running joke the entire cruise how we scared a family off from just one dinner and my family still laughs when someone brings it up. We have decided that on our next cruise we will just ask for our own table so we don't have to suffer the feeling of abandonment again!:lmao::lmao:

We were also abandoned on our Dream cruise in May. My wife and I had a table of 4 all to ourselfs all 4 nights. Our table mates never showed up. Really suprised the staff. :confused3

We went on the Fantasy and requested a table just for the 4 of us. We are not anti-social it's that we a son on the autism spectrum with feeding issues. We didn't want to ruin it for someone else.

We do the same for the same exact same reason. My son is usually very good in restaurants, but I just didn't want to wreck anyone else's night if he suddenly had a bad moment. Change throws him for a loop and I never know how he will react.

We do the same for the same exact same reason. My son is usually very good in restaurants, but I just didn't want to wreck anyone else's night if he suddenly had a bad moment. Change throws him for a loop and I never know how he will react.

Our table mates will be family, and I have the same concerns with my son! But family has to deal with us, don't they? Lol.

We are a family of 5. We never requested a table by ourselves. On our first cruise, we were at a table by ourselves. My youngest DD was only 20 months old, so they just pulled a high chair up to a 4-top table.

On our second cruise, my MIL was with us, so we sat by ourselves at a table for 6.

We have another cruise coming up with just the 5 of us, and I pity the people that get stuck at our table. We have 3 talkative kids. Maybe if the family has a kids, they won't mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter