• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aaaacckkkk, RPH, HRH, PBH, less than 3 days to figure it out!!!!

JC Butterfly

DIS Veteran
Hello-

Please, somebody give me a tranquilizer, my nerves are just about shot!!

I am one of those compulsive planners who likes to know as many details as possible . . . some call it psychotic. (I say toe-mae-toe you say toe mah toe).

Since I have never been to the Universal area I am relying on all of you wonderful people to be the eyes & ears I can't be myself.

After weeks of deliberating, I finally decided that I need to stay on site. I have been to many Hard Rock Cafes and I very much enjoy the "atmosphere" so HRH seemed like a natural choice. I was able to get the room for $167 a night on quickbook.com

But I have been very intrigued/excited by the trip reports of the new Royal Pacific. I like its close proximity to IOA as I think I will enjoy that most. I was able to find a rate of $125 per night on expedia. So I started thinking, well, that looks pretty good. Same benefits as HRH and a little cheaper.

Then, today I was back on expedia and found the Portofino Bay for $179 per night for 4 nights and my 5th night free. Ohhhhh! That looks gorgeous too and its a little cheaper than my original HRH choice.

Money is always a factor but it isn't the number one factor in this case. Convenience is the major factor and all seem about equal on that level.

I usually stay at the All Stars in Orlando and have never stayed in a 4 star hotel, so I don't have incredibly high expectations to reach. It is myself and my best friend (who couldn't give two hoots about where we stay) so space for kids is not an issue.

How can I make a final decision, please someone hold my hand!

(or tell me to go eeny meeny miney moe)

Brenda

Brenda--
1) Pools-RPH doesn't have a slide the others do.
2) Room size--RPH rooms are smaller than the other 2.
3)Spa--PBH has the Greenhouse.
4) Customers--PBH customers appear to be a little older and more couples, HRH seems to be a little younger and more kids.
5) Food--All 3 are 4* hotels with good but expensive restaurants. Deluxe hotels (other than Disney) don't usually have food courts. You'll probably spend more for food than you think.
6) Location PBH is the furthest from CityWalk (20 minutes 1 mile)
Look at the website if you like the SW look of HRH stay there. If you want a more subdued, romantic look pick PBH.
HRH is the more popular hotel, if you cancel your reservation you may not be able to rebook it at any price.

I never been there before, but I think that you can get better rates with the Entertainment Card. My sister in-law got last week the Hard Rock for $125 per night for August 25. I got the Royal Pacific for $99.00 for July 27. They also have another good rates with the Fan Club and AAA. Just call and ask for all the rates.

I stayed at and loved RPH but we also visited PBH and were in knocked over by how beautiful it was. If you can get 1 night free for PBH I would do that! Don't panic though, I would be comfortable staying at any of these hotels. You really can't go wrong.

I don't think you should worry about how close you are. Once you get there you'll see why. Yes, PBH is a mile, you can walk from HRH to US in a single bound and RP is closest to IOA. What I'm trying to say is pick the one you really think you'll like the most and don't worry where it is. They are all a stones throw and you can walk from PBH as well to the parks. All of them are just moments away. I sure would think that boat ride from PBH was more than 5 minutes and maybe 3 from HRH. We had to pass there dock during our stay at PBH. I saw a lot of kids a PBH they were loving the pool. There seem to be more couples in the Villa pool. PBH is amazing and you should stayt there once anyways. Have you thought of staying one night a one of them and two nights at two of them. You know since it's just you and your friend that would be a quick and easy task to pack up and head out and hop to the other hotels. Start with a night at RP, then HRH, then PBH. If you start with PBH it will proabley be hard to swallow the RPH, no offense to anyone, but there is a difference in my HO. Good luck to you have a great trip

Well, I think you know my opinion on this! :)
I disagree strongly that PBh is only for older people & couples. I always see families there, and they also have a kiddie pool & play area which HRH doesn't. I also like having more restaurant choices. We enjoy the walk or baot ride to Citywalk, they also have a shuttle that's easy to get to US.
Also, RP may not have a slide but my kids had a ball with the ship play area in the pool. I love how close it is to IOA.
The thing I don't like about HRH is that the pool is always so crowded, it's hard to find a space. I want to relax on vacation, there are enough people in the parks to contend with.
But don't worry you will love any of them.
Hurry make a decision before you lose all those great rates!

Alright, I've stayed at HRH and PBH. I'll be staying at the new hotel in mid august. My family and I all wanted to stay at HRH again. Yet when we were booking HRH was 200 and Royal was 100. HRH has the advantage and some would say disadvantage of a cd player in ea. room. I enjoyed it and it let me put on music of my choice when I was in the room. Compared to portafino, I prefer HRH since the location overall is just better.

Hi Brenda!
I am one of those compulsive planners who likes to know as many details as possible . . . some call it psychotic. (I say toe-mae-toe you say toe mah toe). I prefer the term extremely organized!;)

I'd choose between HRH and PBH.

Portofino: Quiet elegance; plush but not stuffy. Huge bathrooms with marble and tile. Very good restaurants, excellent housekeeping and service. Nice pool with small,zippy water slide; deeper than HRH. Transp to parks is bus (a couple of min) or water taxi (about 10 min to Citywalk). GREAT beds.

HRH: High Energy Hotel, very cool atmosphere, low volume rock music playing everywhere, quick (5 min) walk to Universal if you take the pool path; very convenient if you want to run back to the room to take a break during the day or change,etc. Short walk to Citywalk restaurants. Pool depth is only about 3 1/2 ft but has a large slide. Check you final bill closely for accuracy.

That's my 2 cents. If you still can't decide, go for the coin toss. You will be equally happy at either.

I'd vote for HRH. Its so much closer to everything, the walk is literally 5 minutes away from USF, (I timed my 70yo Mom and I when we went this past Xmas). The pool does get crowded but you have kids with you so that shouldn't really bother you. I'll be staying at RP this summer (but I think my heart will be at HRH). I went to HRH twice last year, in the summer and the winter and had a great time. I decided for RP because of the cheaper rate, I just hope I don't regret it. But I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three. I wasn't much help, was I??

Originally posted by msr709
I'd vote for HRH. Its so much closer to everything, the walk is literally 5 minutes away from USF

Royal Pacific is just as close to everything, it's just at the opposite side of Citywalk. If you love IOA, it's a very short walk, and Margarittavile is just around the corner.
Doesn't anyone enjoy those boat rides from portofino? I find it so relaxing, especially aftera long day at the parks.

Originally posted by CPM
Doesn't anyone enjoy those boat rides from portofino? I find it so relaxing, especially aftera long day at the parks.
DH and our family sure do! :) It's a great way to start and end the day.

Hi, Brenda! I am not sure, but I think you are a young person. If I were you I pick RPR. I just got back and had never been there either. I did tour PB and it was dead at night. The boat ride seemed long and it was too far for walking in the heat. I did not tour HRH, but a guy in the pool at RPR said that he did and used the pool at HRH and the pool seemed 10 degrees hotter at HRH. The pool at RPR was too hot and and I can't imagine one that seemed 10 degrees hotter. The RPR was very lively and very nice. HRH is closer to Universal Studios and RPR is closer to Islands of Adventure. If you are a young person, you will probably like Islands of Adventure better - my son loved it. It was thelivelier of the two parks, so it was nice being closer to that one. Our room was pretty and plenty big.

Just wanted to say, I too find the boat ride quite relaxing. I can't imagine the ride is over 8 or so minutes from City Walk to PBH. I did'nt find it bothersome at all. What a lovely way to end your day pulling in to the 'habor" and not dropped off at the "terminal" on ramp so to speak. And Just a minute later your in your room. It's a wonderful experience I'd recommend to those wanting to wind down your day. I'm sure most of us drive more than 8 minutes to and from our job in hectic traffic! Think of the joy of a lovely boat ride and your transportation to total enjoyment to the parks and total relaxation to your port home of PBH. Heck your on vacation you don't have to hurry and punch a time clock here. RELAX and enjoy the walk or the ride whichever you chose look at what you get when you hit your point of destination either way. What a wonderful Adventure!

Thank you all so much for your opinions, it is exactly what I was looking for. I am 27 years young and it sounds like my initial instinct is probably right, so Hard Rock Hotel here I come! (didn't want to split up my stay). I have read very few reports of people being disappointed here.

it is now too late to change my mind without penalties so I'm sure it will be great and I'll be sure to give my $0.02 when I get back!

Thanks again,
Brenda

Originally posted by CPM
Royal Pacific is just as close to everything, it's just at the opposite side of Citywalk. If you love IOA, it's a very short walk, and Margarittavile is just around the corner.

Glad to hear it! I'll be staying next week there so this is very good news for me! I've got NOTHING against the boat ride, I enjoy them as well. I just found that PB to be a little further than HRH and I could not do it in the oppressing heat of the summer months and I like to be able to walk once in a while, specially in the mornings! It was one of the things I enjoyed most about staying at HRH was the quiet walks in the morning to the parks. JMHO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter