AA indirect via Miami, worked well

Peebee

Disney Dad
Arrived yesterday evening and enjoying our first full day in Orlando - morning at Hollywood Studios followed by afternoon swim back at our villa.

Just wanted to let others know that our indirect flights from LHR via MIA to MCO worked out really well - I know the relatively short layover has been a concern to others in the past.

The morning AA57 flight left about 15 mins late but touched down in Miami just past 2pm, leaving us 2hrs 15mins to make our connection. We made our way to the brand new immigration area and joined a line of about 200 people that moved fairly quickly. You then needed to pick a specific immigration lane - around 30 were open - with each having around 3 or 4 groups in front. In total it took us around 15 mins to pass immigration and head off to baggage claim.

We waited about 10-15 mins more for our bags; this was probably the most chaotic part of the whole journey, with flights changing to different claim areas causing a lot of switching around. Handed in customs form and left the area, and went around 100 metres before a nice guy from American called us over to drop the bags for the connecting flight. This was around 2.45pm, so still 90 mins or so until the connection was due to leave, so loads of time spare.

We went straight through security again in no time at all, and had a slow walk down to our gate, grabbing drinks and snacks along the way. Flight started boarding around 3.30pm, and went so well that we were ready to leave 15 mins early!

Landed an hour later at MCO - flight was a little longer as we had to skirt round some bad weather in the area. Straight off the plane, no long MCO immigration lines :) straight to baggage claim - 5 mins wait, across the road to Dollar in the garage who had our name on the board, and a nice new Dodge minivan in parking bay 16. Our of the airport by 5.45pm...quickest exit, ever!

Anyhow...hope the above is useful for anyone flying through Miami. Looks like the new arrivals area is working well compared to before, and it should cope well with increasing numbers of arrivals.

Right...off to Olive Garden for dinner, and Fantasmic if the rain holds off :wave2:

:thumbsup2 Have done that one several times (though without bags) and never had a problem, other than that Miami is just about the most boring airport in the world :rotfl:

:thumbsup2 Have done that one several times (though without bags) and never had a problem, other than that Miami is just about the most boring airport in the world :rotfl:

Never had any pbs at MIA either, it's always been ultra quick for us and I'd take the airport any day over CDG :rotfl2:

We transited via the new immigration area at MIA on Monday. Arriving at 4pm, it took 1 hour and 10 minutes to get through immigration.

Not as good as the approx 30 mins at LAX a few weeks previously, but better than the 2 hours at IAH some months back.

MIA is one of my least favourite US airports. Generally chaotic and a mess.

At this time of year thunderstorms can close the airport in the late afternoon for a period, leading to big backlogs and queues when the waiting flights do get in. Didn't affect us this time, but it did for others a few days earlier.

Thanks for your report- I have been looking for flights for next year and I was trying to avoid Miami as we just flew back from there after a few days at the end of our trip and didn't rate it- thought it might have improved after all the times we used it in the past- been a few years but still not great.

TBH I think the whole customs/baggage thing is a complete lottery whatever airport you use. We have had good and bad wait times at every airport we've ever been through (worst one recently was Newark with over an hour at customs)

TBH I think the whole customs/baggage thing is a complete lottery whatever airport you use. We have had good and bad wait times at every airport we've ever been through (worst one recently was Newark with over an hour at customs)

i agree about the customs lottery....we've had the same experience over the years...

although JFK tends to be bad more often than good.....
the only variable being really really bad vs just bad ;)

Detroit is usually pretty good, but you can have bad luck there as well...

Never had any pbs at MIA either, it's always been ultra quick for us and I'd take the airport any day over CDG :rotfl2:

We were diverted via CDG with the ash cloud a couple of years back, hope I never see it again. Worst security staff I have ever met, they actually grunted instead of speaking.:confused3
Most expesive coke I have ever bought, went to pay but had to use credit card as we had no euros with us, the lady took my card and tutted at me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter