AA / AAA discounts

DLPDreams

I am like a child in a sweet shop, hyper on sugar!
Probably getting a new car in the next few weeks = less Disney spending money :(. I currently have insurance with breakdown cover included but I am thinking it is probably more cost effective to buy stand alone. Thinking about AA as I know there has been mention of discounts particularly at US.

I've searched old threads on UK Trip Planning and had a look at the ARC site, but tbh it doesn't give much info other than hotels - which is no use to us as we have our accom booked, or day tickets, which I think will still be more expensive than buying before we go.

I couldn't see any reference to discount on shopping/merchandise specific to US - is this no longer the case? If it's still on, does it include Harry Potter merch?

In addition, I've read it mentioned on other threads (old ones) that it doesn't include all restaurants in City Walk, specifically Bubba Gumps - but it mentions on the ARC site that Landry's select restaurants are entitled to 10% off - but doesn't mention names? BG is Landry's isn't it?

Sorry for so many questions. If we can benefit I'll go with AA, but I've seen that Green Flag are competitive so if no benefits, I'll go with the cheapest! o_O

Thanks for any help :-)

Sorry, I don't have any experience of using the AA card at Universal, mainly used it for hotel discounts and at GAP a few years ago.

I've pasted below info on conditions and restrictions from an AAA web site and if you scroll down to Restrictions they list the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co, so sorry looks like no discount there.

On another note our AA membership was recently coming up for renewal at well over £200, so joined the RAC through Quidco and for the similar cover paid £168.99...plus in August I will hopefully receive cash back of £75.00, so saving over £100.

Retailer: RAC Breakdown Cover
Purchase amount: £168.99
Cashback amount: £75.00

--------------------------------

Entertainment Discounts
Universal Orlando Resort

Members savings include discounted tickets as well as the following:

• 10% off food/beverage in the park (restrictions apply)
  • 10% off merchandise with a $50.00 min spend (per store location), tax inclusive
  • 15% off merchandise with a $75.00 min spend (per store location), tax inclusive
  • 10% off at participating CityWalk locations
  • One free CityWalk Party Pass, with the purchase of one CityWalk Party Pass
  • 10% off at the Palm restaurant, located in the Hard Rock hotel (restrictions apply)
  • 15% off at the Mandara Spa (restrictions apply)
  • 10% off the purchase of Blue Man Group tickets at the box office
To receive discount:

• Purchase tickets online
  • Show your valid AAA membership card at the gate and save $5.00 on the purchase of multi-day/Park-to-park tickets
Additional Universal Orlando Resort benefits include:

• AAA members receive a souvenir photograph from a choice of one of the most popular rides and attractions
  • Universal Parks & Resorts Food and Beverage discount booklet
  • Priority seating at park show venue
  • Hertz double car class upgrade
  • One free child seat with Hertz rental
Universal Orlando® Resort is more than a theme park. It's an entire universe of action and thrills featuring Universal Studios Florida® Theme Park and Universal's Islands of Adventure® Theme Park.

Locations:
6000 Universal Blvd.
Orlando, FL 32819

Restrictions:
All discounts are subject to change without notice, are not combinable with any other offers, promotions or discounts and additional restrictions may apply. Present valid AAA/CAA or international SYC&S ID at the entrance, selected gift shops, or restaurants to receive discount. Savings at AAA Offices and AAA.com/universal are based on comparison with front gate ticket prices. Pricing and savings subject to change without notice. Ticket savings are applicable to the AAA/CAA member and immediate family (up to 6 people). Discount not available at Emeril's® Restaurant Orlando, Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.TM Restaurant & Market, Hard Rock Live®, Hard Rock Cafe®, AMC®Universal Cineplex 20 with IMAX®, and Cigarz at CityWalk (Note: discount at Hard Rock Cafe available through partner agreement with Hard Rock). Offer excludes merchandise or food carts, Universal Express Plus, gift cards, tattoos, alcohol, tobacco, candy, film, collectibles or sundry items. Participating CityWalk venues subject to change without notice. A fifteen percent (15%) discount off any treatments that are valued at $100 or more excluding gratuities Monday through Thursday only at the Mandara Spa. Additional restrictions may apply.

Last edited:
Pretty much everywhere in Universal gives you 10% off with an AA card (shops, restaurants, even mini golf!); just show it when you go to pay. We have used this discount at Hard Rock Cafe without problems - the Universal site says they won't accept it, but they do (and it's still listed on the AAA discounts site).

We used to be in the AA but their prices went up to the point that we couldn't justify it over other breakdown cover, even with the Universal discount. The price difference was something like £50 (even with cash back) which means we would have to spend $750 at Universal to break even. There's just the two of us and we stay offsite, so that was never going to happen.

We now, though it pains me on principle, for ours through a current account which costs £120 per year. It also includes worldwide travel insurance and mobile phone insurance. We definitely break even on that deal on just breakdown and travel insurance.

Last edited:
Pretty much everywhere in Universal gives you 10% off with an AA card (shops, restaurants, even mini golf!); just show it when you go to pay. We have used this discount at Hard Rock Cafe without problems - the Universal site says they won't accept it, but they do (and it's still listed on the AAA discounts site).

We used to be in the AA but their prices went up to the point that we couldn't justify it over other breakdown cover, even with the Universal discount. The price difference was something like £50 (even with cash back) which means we would have to spend $750 at Universal to break even. There's just the two of us and we stay offsite, so that was never going to happen.

We now, though it pains me on principle, for ours through a current account which costs £120 per year. It also includes worldwide travel insurance and mobile phone insurance. We definitely break even on that deal on just breakdown and travel insurance.

I have done the same - my Nationwide account gives us world-wide insurance, breakdown and mobile phone cover. I used to go through Quidco but for £120, this seemed like a better deal.

Thanks all. I am not sure what to do. It seems that you can get 10% discount on merchandise in US from what I've read above, so I am sure that will save us a fair bit as I know the DDs would like a fair bit of HP stuff in particular!

I know what you are saying about the AA - I used to be with them many years ago and they just kept putting up the price on renewal. Sometimes, if you give them a break for a few years, you can strike lucky on a new customer deal. That was what I was thinking of. If I can't get similar then I wouldn't bother tbh.

Our bank does offer those types of accounts but I've looked into them and they aren't really for us tbh. Plus their worldwide cover insurance means a hike up in the account premium. We are tied to our bank atm as alongside our current account we get access to a really good, exclusive savings account rate, so wouldn't want to move - swings and roundabouts I guess!

Well, I have put a deposit down today on a new car and funnily enough, it comes with one year's AA cover! So, I don't need to worry about buying it and I will have my AA card to take to Universal with me! :D

Last edited:
Fantastic - I'd be interested to hear what you wind up saving!
You also get 10% off at Denny's...:)

I was thinking of cancelling our AA membership and going for a cheaper option as it just seems to keep getting more expensive. Having read this I might just wait until after our trip.

Fantastic - I'd be interested to hear what you wind up saving!
You also get 10% off at Denny's...:)

I'll let you know Kath. I know both girls would love an interactive wand each (Mummy would like to buy one and share but that's never going to happen lol!). I think they are around $50 each, so hoping we'll save something there. DD1 is a huge HP fan and has already listed lots of things she'd like - she's saving all her hard earned cash for the occasion!

Shame we can't use it in Bubbas as we definitely want to eat there, but also plan on Three Broomsticks and Mythos and I *think* I can use at both of those - there are 6 of us, so 10% off will be very welcome.

We have the DDP at WDW so don't plan on eating outside the bubble - other than at the Malls - fancy trying the Cheesecake Factory!

I was thinking of cancelling our AA membership and going for a cheaper option as it just seems to keep getting more expensive. Having read this I might just wait until after our trip.

I am so pleased - I didn't even realise the garage were offering free cover - I suppose they probably think with a new car you won't need to use AA cover for the first year anyway - ha ha!

If you can, it might be worth holding on to cancel after your visit! I think I probably would wait.

I'll let you know Kath. I know both girls would love an interactive wand each (Mummy would like to buy one and share but that's never going to happen lol!). I think they are around $50 each, so hoping we'll save something there. DD1 is a huge HP fan and has already listed lots of things she'd like - she's saving all her hard earned cash for the occasion!

Those wands look awesome but I've already told DH we're not paying $50 for one :lmao:

Those wands look awesome but I've already told DH we're not paying $50 for one :lmao:

Yep, I am inclined to agree with you especially as once you are out of WWOHP they are just like a normal HP wand and we have one of those already! :crazy2:. But as I'm not sure we'll be revisiting Florida (DH is adamant it's our one and only), I really don't want the girls to miss out. It's both their birthdays soon so I intend to give them $50 as part of their present and will suggest that they might want to use it for that :P.

You're clearly a very lovely mum :)
(I am not a very lovely wife - but I fear it would have the same fate as the Butterbeer souvenier mug...)
Love love love Universal; cannot wait to be back there!

Aww that's so kind - I am sure there are days that my children would not agree with you though :rolleyes1.

We are super excited about US - I think more than WDW which is silly as we are Disney mad. But I think it's because US is totally new to us. While we haven't been to WDW, we've been to DLP many times and I know they are totally different but I think the girls think it will be similar!

Dare I ask what happened to the butterbeer cup? I fear, we'll have to get one of those too - they have already been googling all the drinks and love the sound of the green one - the name escapes me but it sounds horrible :scared:! Just remembered - it's fishy green ale!! My children are strange (but lovely!) :D.

It was supposed to become a pen pot, but it's got one measly lonely-looking pencil in it at the moment...!!
You can use them as refillable mugs but I'm not carting it all the way back over there. It's horrible to drink from anyway! The other refillable mugs aren't bad value, nor are the Coca Cola cups where you can use the magic machines that make a gazillion drink combinations (or, if you're cheap like us, dispense ice water for free...)
They do both frozen and non-frozen butterbeer so you'll need to try both - we preferred the non-frozen.
We love Universal - much faster-paced, much more thrill oriented than Disney! If your kids are a bit older (7+) they will LOVE it! We usually do 10 days of just US/IOA but this year we only have 7 nights in Orlando :(

Ha ha - a good idea but alas not quite fit for purpose atm by the sounds of it!

I've read about the refill mugs - I think we may go for them although I'm not keen on DD1 drinking fizzy drinks all day (DD2 won't touch them!), so we may be cheap like you and fill a cup with iced water! Much more refreshing in the heat.

My two will be 10 and 7 when we go, the little one is quite immature though and is more like a 5 year old! She is most looking forward to Seussical stuff, but I'm sure will love HP too!! The older one is very mature - so very different. She adores HP although hasn't seen all the films - just 1&2 and part of 3 (she got scared), and the later films are a 12 rating anyway. But, she's read the books though (bookworm!), she's got about 100 pages of the Deathly Hallows to read and is determined to get it finished!

Neither of them are into Marvel stuff really, DD2 likes Transformers (!?) apparently, and they both love coasters and thrill rides, so I'm sure they'll be in heaven. We have 3 (or 4) days there, but are edging more to just doing the 3 then moving over to WDW. We booked 4 nights at RPR as it was only £6 more for the extra night but it overlaps with WDW, so we haven't quite decided yet.

You hear so many people who don't rate US as much as WDW, but I don't know - they both seem to have their fans! HP is obviously a huge draw and looks amazing!

Shame you only have 7 nights, but I guess when you've been a lot you know what your must dos are and can hone it more for that! We are like that at DLP now.

You can buy (or take with you) the super-concentrated squash, which works out great with the free ice water. I don't do fizzy drinks much myself.

10 & 7 sound like good ages - something for them both. The Harry Potter stuff is great (coming from someone who doesn't particularly like HP :rolleyes1) but even the "older stuff", like Spider-Man, the Hulk etc., is superb. IOA has a ton of water rides which is great in the heat, will be amazing in August! Make sure you take the time to appreciate the theming and small attractions, too - our highlights include meeting Donkey from Shrek! It'll be nice staying onsite too - we have only done this once but it was fabulous, wish we'd been able to stay longer.

7 days is better than nothing! We only spend 2-4 hours at the parks most says as we travel during one of the busiest times :rolleyes2 We basically go to the parks each morning so should get 3 mornings at each park :thumbsup2

Last edited:
Thanks Kath - you're a mine of US info!

I am sure we'll have a great time once we get used to the heat and humidity!!

3 mornings in each park sounds great to me btw! :)

August is actually my favourite time to visit but DH doesn't like the heat :(
You're lucky - with the express passes, you won't need to arrive for opening. Still, nothing like a few rounds on the Hulk before breakfast...

August is actually my favourite time to visit but DH doesn't like the heat :(
You're lucky - with the express passes, you won't need to arrive for opening. Still, nothing like a few rounds on the Hulk before breakfast...

Not sure about before breakfast! But you are right, the passes will come in useful I'm sure - shame they don't cover much of WWOHP though!

You should be able to ride the Islands of Adventure stuff without too much wait if you arrive relatively early or go late evening. We waited 45 minutes for Forbidden Journey late one night which was my absolute limit (and it broke down, so it wound up being more like 60 minutes...) but DH was adamant! Since then we have never had to wait more than 20 minutes for either that or Dragon Challenge, but the Universal side is brand new so will be a whole different ball game. To be honest, I'll be surprised if we make the Gringotts ride since I hate standing in line...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter