A Year of Disney (and Universal) Trips- Universal Christmas Photos- updated 12/23

Hey Meeko, catching up here! Great Universal updates. I really had no idea they had so many characters there. Probably because it's been a while since we went to Universal Studios (we only went to IOA last year).

Anxious to hear about your Epcot day trip! popcorn::

Hey Meeko, catching up here! Great Universal updates. I really had no idea they had so many characters there. Probably because it's been a while since we went to Universal Studios (we only went to IOA last year).

Anxious to hear about your Epcot day trip! popcorn::

Universal, especially the Studios, has a ton of great characters. And unlike Disney, the lines are almost always short so you can really meet a bunch of them in one day. :thumbsup2

toontrolley1-600.jpg

Once I had arrived back in Hollywood, the Toon Trolley had brought the characters back for meet-and-greets. Of course, I started with Bullwinkle who signed his autograph and posed for a few photos.

toontrolley2-600.jpg

I hadn’t seen Winnie Woodpecker in just her normal outfit, so I decided to get a picture of her and Woody as well. I’ve never really been that big a fan of Woody Woodpecker, but I have to admit that the two of them always look adorable together at Universal.

lucytribute1-600.jpg

After doing primarily outdoor shows and meet-and-greets for an hour or so, I needed a break with some air conditioning. Lucy: A Tribute was the perfect choice.

lucytribute2-600.jpg

A display of Emmy Awards won by Lucille Ball.

lucytribute3-600.jpg

The I Love Lucy portion of the tribute has a number of props and costumes used in the show, like this thimble tipped glove from one of the episodes featuring guest star Tennessee Ernie Ford.

lucytribute4-600.jpg

Lucy’s ukulele from her Roaring 20s number.

lucytribute5-600.jpg

An overview of the display.

hollywood1-600.jpg

After looking around the exhibit, I decided to do a little exploring around Hollywood. For those who thought that I accidentally slipped in a picture from Disney in here, this was actually taken at Universal. It’s based on the same building that inspired the Darkroom camera shop at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Unlike the Disney one, Universal’s is just a false front.

hollywood2-600.jpg

A photo spot.

hollywood3-600.jpg

hollywood4-6002.jpg

While wandering the area, I ran into probably my favorite characters in the park- Lucy and Ricky Ricardo. We chatted for a while about Ricky’s newest ventures (including build a new club called “Babaloo South” here in Florida) and Lucy’s latest attempts at breaking into show business. For me, It was probably the most fun meet-and-greet of the day.

newyork1-600.jpg

It was around lunch time, so I decided to head over to New York since I had heard good things about Louie’s Italian Restaurant. Along the way, I took in some of the sights around New York.

newyork4-600.jpg

Does the moose mascot of Bull’s Gym look familiar? Yes, it’s Bulllwinke again. Apparently, this was once an actual shop. It has been closed for years, but the sign remains.

newyork3-600.jpg

newyork2-600.jpg

Once I got to Louie’s, there was an enormous line. Not actually being that hungry, I decided to wait until the lunch rush had subsided a bit and do a ride or two in the meantime.

et-600.jpg

I decided to head back to Woody Woodpecker’s Kidzone for the ET Adventure. The line was pretty minimal- maybe two or three minutes. The ride is fun, and probably the most “Disney” of all the attractions at Universal. It feels like a mix of Peter Pan’s Flight, It’s A Small World and the original Journey into Imagination with just a pinch more excitement.

moresimpsons1-600.jpg

After the ride, I decided to go back to the Simpsons area to take some more pictures.

moresimpsons2-600.jpg

I hope that you’re not afraid of clowns.

moresimpsons3-600.jpg

moresimpsons4-600.jpg

jawsview1-600.jpg

While in Amity, I discovered a little area where you can get a good look at the harbor at the beginning of the Jaws Ride.

jawsview2-600.jpg

Another intrepid young skipper sets out for another adventure in shark-infested waters.

louies1-600.jpg

By now, the line at Louie’s was a little shorter. Even with the shorter line, I think this ended up being one of my longest, of not my longest wait of the day. Still, if the longest wait of the day was somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes, you’re doing really well.

louies2-600.jpg

Having heard (relatively) good things about the pizza here, I decided to give it a try. It was pretty good. I’d say that it was fairly comparable with the kind of pizza you would find at a Sbarro in a mall food court which is an improvement over most counter service pizza sold in theme parks. The one thing I would say that made it a step above something like Sbarro was the crust which I thought was surprisingly tasty. The restaurant also had a fairly large indoor dining room, so it wasn’t impossible to find a nice table in the air conditioning. With lunch out of the day, I went back out into the park to have some more fun.

Next chapter: The Terminator in 3D and the end of my day at Universal.

You Universal updates are really making me think we need to take time and head over there on one of our WDW visits.

Sounds like you had a great time with the Ricardos. The museum looks interesting.

As for your description of how sweet ET is, Caitlin would beg to differ :laughing: I took her on it when she was 2 and she was absolutely terrified. To this day she is still afraid of ET :rolleyes:

You Universal updates are really making me think we need to take time and head over there on one of our WDW visits.

Sounds like you had a great time with the Ricardos. The museum looks interesting.

As for your description of how sweet ET is, Caitlin would beg to differ :laughing: I took her on it when she was 2 and she was absolutely terrified. To this day she is still afraid of ET :rolleyes:

Ricky and Lucy are probably some of my favorite characters in Universal or Disney. They're so interactive and in-character.

Well, I think I would have hated ET at age 2 as well. It's just a little too much. Come to think of it, I probably would have been afraid of Peter Pan's Flight or Imagination at that age as well with all the pirates, explosions and such.

I have found myself pricing out Universal trips over the last week or so and I am completely blaming you. :rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

I used to love watching the Bullwinkle cartoon, great picture of him in the beginning!

I have found myself pricing out Universal trips over the last week or so and I am completely blaming you. :rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

I used to love watching the Bullwinkle cartoon, great picture of him in the beginning!

Universal is a lot of fun. I'm not sure if it would be a great vacation with a baby though. They have a a few play areas at Woody Woodpecker's Kidzone at the Studios and in Seuss Landing and Toon Lagoon at IOA, a Barney show, and lots of characters, but most of the rides seem to be for the older crowd.

Thanks. I was excited to be able to get his picture.

After lunch, I decided to head back towards Hollywood to see another attraction that I had missed on my first visit to the park- Terminator 2: 3D.

hollywoodafterlunch1-600.jpg

Along the way, I spotted Diego of Go Diego Go with Dora and stopped to get a photo of the two of them.

hollywoodafterlunch2-600.jpg

The next show time for Terminator was about 30 minutes away, so I figured that in the mean time I would check out a few of the shops in the area. I believe a sign proclaimed this as the largest Betty Boop store in the world. While there was a lot of Betty, there was plenty of other classic Hollywood memorabilia as well.

hollywoodafterlunch3-600.jpg

Even Lucy had her own section of the store near the exit of the Lucy Tribute.

hollywoodafterlunch4-6002.jpg

Also adjacent to the Tribute exit was a display of vintage Lucy memorabilia including this (slightly deranged looking?) Lucy Ricardo doll.

hollywoodafterlunch5-600.jpg

Over by Mel’s Diner, The Vinyls were playing some classic rock ‘n’ roller. One thing that I that was neat about Universal was that while Disney’s Hollywood Boulevard is set in the 1930s or 40s, Universal’s has more of a 50s feel with bands like this, the Lucy Tribute, Mel’s Diner and having characters like Marilyn Monroe, Lucy and Ricky wandering the street. It’s a nice but subtle difference, but it gives both parks more a unique feel.

hollywoodafterlunch6-600.jpg

After a while, I decided to head back to the Terminator and join the queue. Probably within 10 or 15 minutes at most, I was in the pre-show area. I’ll be the first to admit that the Terminator isn’t exactly my kind of movie. Still, the presentation was well done. I wasn’t as impressed with the portion that was just a 3D movie with “Ah-nold”, but the beginning and ending segments that featured live performers, animatronics and some truly “how-did-they-do-that?” kind of special effects made it worth it. I don’t see this as being the type of attractions that I’ll want to visit every time, but I’d much rather see this again than the nearby Shrek 4D.

The Ice cream counter inside Schwab’s Pharmacy was open for business (something I had never seen on previous visits), so after the movie, I decided to check it out. Something cold would have really hit the spot that day, and the idea of getting something at Schwab’s seemed really fun. After all, this could be my chance to get “discovered” like those movie stars of yesteryear who once sat at the counter at the original in Hollywood. Unfortunately the line was extremely slow moving making the wait longer than I wanted to wait for, so I gave up on that idea.

marge-600.jpg

The Simpsons had been doing meet-and-greets nearby, but were getting in their RV to leave when I passed by. Before they drove off, Marge did a few poses for all the paparazzi.

donkeyhrrr-600.jpg

I headed back to the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit since I wanted to try and get in another ride on it before the end of the day. The line was a little longer than it had been at rope drop (about 15 minutes instead of 10), but apparently still wasn’t long enough to open the Single Rider Line. I decided to go with more of a fun disco vibe this time around and picked I Will Survive to be my ride soundtrack.

simpsonsgreet1-600.jpg

Once I got back to Hollywood, I spotted the Simpsons greeting guests (minus the previously-seen RV), so I hopped in their line. While I was waiting, the Simpsons had to take a 10 minute break, but when they returned, they brought their RV with them.

simpsonsgreet2-600.jpg

With the characters’ break, this actually turned out to be one of the longest waits of the day but was still less than 20 minutes. It was worth it though. After Lucy and Ricky, these are my absolute favorite characters to meet in the park. I love this picture of them too. They were told to squeeze in for a family photo, and Homer misunderstood and tried, to no avail, to squeeze in his gut.

scoobymm-600.jpg

After the meet-and-greet, Scooby and Shaggy passed by in the Mystery Machine.

outatime-600.jpg

I wanted to take another walk around the New York streets to get some more pictures and enjoy some of the fantastic atmosphere. Along the way, I checked out some of the details on the car from Back to the Future.

newyorkafternoon1-600.jpg

newyorkafternoon2-600.jpg

mummy2-600.jpg

endofday1-600.jpg

Back in Hollywood, I ran into Bullwinkle again and got another picture.

endofday2-600.jpg

The Simpsons were driving by as well.

endofday3-600.jpg

I spent some time checking looking at the stars on the Walk of Fame…

endofday4-600.jpg

and enjoying the architecture.

endofday5-600.jpg

endofday6-600.jpg

The Madagascar characters were out for their last set of the day with one more penguin than I had seen earlier, so I stopped to get a group photo and meet my last new character for the day. I’m horrible at remembering these penguins’ names, but I think the new one was Kowalski.

By now, I had done everything I had hoped to do (and more) while at Universal with the exception of getting some dessert as Schwab’s, so I went back to get something before ending my day in the park. The line didn’t look too bad, but since it was extremely slow moving, it took about 15 minutes to get through.

schwabs1-600.jpg

The décor was wonderful and very retro Hollywood. The walls were even decorated with photos and autographs of classic stars. Lucille Ball’s autograph was right near the counter.

schwabs2-600.jpg

The ice cream counter is run by Ben and Jerry’s, so it has a lot of the same sundaes and shakes that you would normally find at their shops. The menu also included malted milkshakes which I can't remember ever seeing available at other Ben and Jerry’s but stuck out here since a chocolate malt seemed like the perfect choice for an old-fashioned retro soda fountain. There were a few tables and some stools at the counter, but they were all taken. I figured that meant that I just wasn’t going to get “discovered” today. Instead, I enjoyed my malt as I made the last walk of the day back to the exit and through City Walk.

Next chapter: Trip Reflections

It sounds like you had a great time! I really enjoyed the pictures. The theming there looks great :thumbsup2

I'm sorry you didn't get discovered. Maybe next time! :)

Your day trip sounds like it was just so much fun and enjoyable.

I'm sad the Simpsons don't greet with Maggie, unless maybe she just wasn't there that day. You would think they could get Marge to hold a Maggie doll or something.

The soda fountain looks like a fun place to check out. I love vintage things like that so I think I'd love the atmosphere.

It sounds like you had a great time! I really enjoyed the pictures. The theming there looks great :thumbsup2

I'm sorry you didn't get discovered. Maybe next time! :)

Thanks Dawn. And I suppose I'll have another chance to get discovered at Christmas, although it will probably be too cold for ice cream by then. :laughing:

Your day trip sounds like it was just so much fun and enjoyable.

I'm sad the Simpsons don't greet with Maggie, unless maybe she just wasn't there that day. You would think they could get Marge to hold a Maggie doll or something.

The soda fountain looks like a fun place to check out. I love vintage things like that so I think I'd love the atmosphere.

I think they had Maggie out with them when the ride first opened. I remember seeing am older picture with Marge holding her. She would be a fun addition to the meet-and-greet.

Schwab's was wonderful. The theming was right up my alley too, so I'm glad I had a chance to check it out.

Fun day!!! We need to get there. I have so many ideas for next year...and I need to start narrowing it down. But I jsut want to do it all. :rotfl2:

Man I missed a lot of updates! :headache:

Lots of great character meets! You got a lot done the first few hours of rope drop. :thumbsup2

I LOVE Lucy! I was recently up in NY for a wedding and made sure to stop in at Jamestown where Lucy was born. Went to the museum & studio they have there with great memorabilia. I even found her childhood home and grave.

Looking forward to more! Hopefully this time I'll be notified of updates!

Fun day!!! We need to get there. I have so many ideas for next year...and I need to start narrowing it down. But I jsut want to do it all. :rotfl2:

It was very fun. :) Hopefully you'll be able to get to Universal sometime.

Man I missed a lot of updates! :headache:

Lots of great character meets! You got a lot done the first few hours of rope drop. :thumbsup2

I LOVE Lucy! I was recently up in NY for a wedding and made sure to stop in at Jamestown where Lucy was born. Went to the museum & studio they have there with great memorabilia. I even found her childhood home and grave.

Looking forward to more! Hopefully this time I'll be notified of updates!

Rope drop is definitley the way to go. I couldn't believe how quickly I got through all the headliner attrations in the park- especially since it was summer!

I'd love to get to Jamestown someday. I've seen some pictures of the Lucy museum up there and it looks neat.

It’s time to wrap up another trip report, so here are a few last thoughts about my day at Universal.

Weather:
juneweather.jpg

There is no way to sugarcoat it- it was hot. Even for Florida, it was an extremely warm day. Thankfully, a majority of the park’s attractions are all indoors with indoor (or at least covered) queue lines so there were plenty of options for getting out of the heat and into the air conditioning. On the bright side, it was at least a gorgeous-looking day and rain-free.

Crowds and Wait Times:
junecrowds.jpg

I was expecting the summer crowds at Universal to be horrendous and the day to consist of standing in one long line after another, but I was pleasantly surprised. The park was much more crowded that I’ve experienced when visiting in the off-season, but the lines at the attractions were all shorter in June than they were when I was there in October. In fact, the longest wait of the day weren’t for attractions but for food (about 15 minutes each at Louie’s Italian Restaurant and Schwab’s Pharmacy) and for the Simpsons’ meet-and-greet (also around 15 minutes). Getting to the park before rope drop and hitting all the major attractions in the first two hours really helped me stay one step ahead of the crowds- not to mention the large tour groups, but even later in the afternoon, the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit still didn't have much more than a 10 minute wait and the ET Adventure was practically a walk-on. Judging by the mass of humanity flooding into Islands of Adventure next door, I’m sure that wasn’t the case at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, but the Studios, at least, still felt more than manageable even in the summer.

Attraction Highlights:
juneattractions.jpg

Over the course of the day, I managed to try three attractions that I hadn’t tried before- the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, Disaster and Terminator 2: 3D. Out of the three, the Rip Ride Rocket was definitely my favorite. I thought it was a great coaster with a fun gimmick of getting to select your own on-ride soundtrack. Disaster was also a great attraction with some fun audience participation and amazing special effects. The Terminator was well done and worth seeing but not something that particularly interested me. Other highlights of the day included revisiting some of my favorite attractions from my previous visit to the park including Jaws, The Simpsons Ride, Revenge of the Mummy and Lucy: A Tribute.

Dining:
junedining.jpg

For this day trip, I grabbed some lunch over at Louie’s Italian Restaurant in the New York section of the park. As far as counter service pizza goes, it was well above average from what I’m used to finding at theme parks. The atmosphere was nothing out-of-the-ordinary (sort of a big warehouse with grapes, wine bottles and framed pictures of famous Italian-Americans), but the food and air conditioning were the biggest draws here for me. I’d recommend it for a quick lunch in the park. For dessert, I headed to Hollywood and got chocolate malt at Schwab’s Pharmacy. The atmosphere here is what made the experience more than just another visit to a Ben and Jerry’s ice cream shop. It really has that feeling that you’ve stepped back into Hollywood’s golden age. And even though I didn’t get anything to eat there, I did take a look around the Classic Monster Café. The atmosphere was well-done with lots of cool movie props to see, but I’m not sure if monsters and horror films provide the most appetizing themes for a restaurant. If it’s open, it’s at least worth a look around.

Characters:
junecharacters.jpg

Like I mentioned in the February trip report, Universal Studios is quickly becoming one of my favorite parks for character meet-and-greets. Over the course of this day trip, I met a total of 28 different characters. 10 of the 28 were characters that I hadn’t met previously in either of the Universal parks- Bullwinkle, Dora the Explorer, Penguins Rico and Kowalski from Madagascar and E.B., Carlos, Phil, and Pink Berets Fluffy, Bit and Patch from Hop. Other noteworthy characters of the day included Woody Woodpecker, Scooby-Doo and the rest of the Star Toons characters in their summer beachwear at Woody Woodpecker’s Kidzone, Betty Boop (who I had previously only seem at Islands of Adventure and not at the Studios) and my favorite characters to see at Universal- Lucy, Ricky Ricardo and The Simpsons.

It was definitely a fun day at Universal Studios and a successful first solo day in any of the Orlando theme parks. I actually did enjoy the freedom that being solo gives you in terms of being able to tour the park any way you wish. However, while I had a lot of fun, I also missed having someone to share the day with, especially at meal times. It was an experience I'm glad to have had, but it did change my perspective on solo trips. The possibiliy of more solo day trips in the future is there, but I’m not sure I’d enjoy multi-day solo trips. I’d always wondered if a solo vacation would be fun, but based on just a day, I don't think that I would enjoy that much time alone in Orlando.

Of course, I know for my next visit to Universal, I definitely won’t be alone. As I’ve mentioned before, we have reservations for a two-night family vacation at the Royal Pacific Resort this December. Not only will this be my parents’ first visit to Universal, but this will be all of our first time staying at one of their on-site resorts and our first trip to Universal during the Holiday season. It should be quite the trip. We have about a month and a half still to go, but before then, I still have plenty of Disney trip reports to get through. Next up will be an afternoon at Downtown Disney.

Hey everyone. I'm still working on my next report (which will hopefully be up sometime in the next few days), but in the meantime, I wanted to wish everyone a happy and safe Halloween. While we're all in the Halloween spirit, I thought now would be a good time to post one of my character photos from my October trip report since at the rate I'm going, it probably won't get posted in the report until after Christmas.

duffypreview-6004.jpg

Yes, for those who hadn't heard, this year Duffy the Disney Bear greeting guests at EPCOT in his Halloween pumpkin costume. I may not be Duffy's biggest fan, but I thought it was great to see a character all dressed up for a holiday, something that hasn't been too common at EPCOT lately.

There will be more of Duffy and the rest of our day at EPCOT in our October report, but before I have even more Disney fun to write about including an afternoon at Downtown Disney, a family vacation at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge, and a day at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Hopefully this will make it up to any Disney fans out there that are tired about reading about Universal :laughing:

Happy belated Halloween Meeko! I'm a sucker for teddy bears so Duffy looks adorable to me in his pumpkin costume! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter