A year ago this week...

suzannews

DIS Veteran
A year ago this week I was preparing for the Minnie 15K, my first race ever.

A little backround, my Mom passed away in December 2007. One of the things on my life list that we talked about was doing a 1/2 marathon. After I got over the inital shock, I decided it was time to get moving and started walking as my stress reliver. In the middle of January 2008 I signed up for the Minnie 15K and the 2009 1/2 marathon. I figured it was "go big or go home" time. I started posting on the Wish board, joined the Super Goofs and the rest is history, my history. I have struggled with doubt, fear of the unknown and what ifs but there is always someone here to help. I THANK EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU FOR THAT.

So, in the last year I've completed 7 5K's, 1 10K, 1 15K and 1 1/2 marathon with another 5K this weekend, confirmation for the 2010 1/2 and going for the fall bonus medal. As my fellow Goofs know, I've even inspired (their word, not mine!) some of my fellow coworkers who have done some of the races with me.

Just want to add that if I can do it, anyone can do it!!

Below is a pic of my "wall" that some of you have already seen but I hope to inspire someone else out there who may be on the fence. The pic was taken before my last 5K so just picture one more 5K bib at the top.

Thanks for listening.

012.jpg

Suzanne I'm so proud to be a fellow Goof with you. You are doing great, and I look forward to doing more races with you at Disney!

Maura

Suzanne: awesome job over the past year :thumbsup2 Your story reminds me a lot of my own.

My apologies to those who have heard this already but...

One year ago I too was getting ready/really nervous for my first ever race, the Minnie 5k. My DH and I made a new years resolution to try to run the Disney 1/2 marathon and the Minnie was sort of a test to see if we could do it and/or wanted to continue trying to run. We were already going to be in Disney the weekend of the race so we though this would be perfect. I signed up for both the 5K and 15K just to have run one race prior to trying 9.3 miles. The 5K was awesome and was where I encountered my first WISHers. I had no idea the group existed prior to that morning when a really friendly group of people in green shirts helped me to feel less nervous about the race. After doing the races Minnie weekend, we were hooked. We came home to sign up for the 1/2 marathon and found it was at capacity so jumped right in and signed up for the full. We also signed up for the DL 1/2 and a few local races. I also started posting on the WISH boards and joined team Ohana-- thanks to all of my cousins, my fellow WISHers and my supportive DH it has been a great year. I am in way better physical shape and have many new friends thanks to this one resolution. We are going back to WDW in a few weeks and it seems strange to not be running a race on this trip, what a difference one year makes...

So in the past year I went from never running at all to completing 2 5Ks, 1 13K, 4 1/2 marathons, and 1 full marathon with a 10 mile run on Broad Street planned for this weekend and Goofy in 2010--- amazing. Thanks to everyone for your support and inspiration. I had no idea I was capable of doing this and would never have found out and stuck to it without the support from all of you wonderful people :hug:

I like the wall Suzzane and congratulations. My story is similar. I needed to get into shape and hated running. I decided if I sign up for a 5K I'll have to at least get up to 3 miles. I finished that first race and loved it. I became a runner that day.

Its good to have these inspiring stories for those WISH newbies or lurkers who have doubt.

Good Job Suzanne!

I also did my first race at the minnie 15k last year, as you know it was an awsome experience, it took me a nearly year to find the WISH boards though! I am now using you all to inspire me to my first full.

I too didnt really like running all that much but as soon as I did the minnie I was hooked!

I hope to see you all at the WDW marathon weekend, (I will be the one crawling over the full finish line!:lmao:)

Keep it up guys,

Kirsty

PS I LOVE your "finishers wall" I need to find something better to do with all of my bling :goodvibes

Hi Suzanne!

It's great to see your wall, and hear your story. I commiserate with you on the loss of your mom, my mom passed in April 2002, and it took me a good 18 months to feel "normal" again, so kudos to your for getting moving and doing something positive so quickly!

I honestly thought if I trained for a half marathon, I would have Heidi Klum's body (for those of you who haven't seen me, I'm more like Sara Ramirez -- that's Callie on Grey's Anatomy). :lmao: Sigh. Ok, I've finally figured out after my 2nd one this past January (thanks for chatting with me and dh before the race! :lovestruc), it's just not gonna happen. But it's too late now, I really love the Disney Half experience, and I'm going to keep going until dh tells me we can't afford it! ;)

I hope we see you at the Pop Meet and before the race in 2010! :woohoo:

Maria :upsidedow

Suzanne, the wall is fantastic! The Minnie 15K was my first ever race and I loved it. Not so much the racing, but the support was so fun.

Happy Anniversary, Suzanne! Your story is very inspiring and I love your wall with the TM in sight! Great idea!

Thanks everyone for the kind words!!

I can't believe its been a year already, WOW!

Maria, hope to see you and your DH in January at the 1/2, it was great talking to you also!!!

Congratulation Suzanne (and Jen too). It's amazing what you can do when you make your mind up to do it.

I really love your display on the wall. What a motivator to keep moving on that TM.

Keep up the good work.
Cindy

Suzanne, congratulations on your accomplishments! You have done a great job and I know your Mother would be proud of you for sure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter