A Word of Caution - Problems at DD

PamOKW

<font color=green>The two most important items for
Last night at DD there were two scary kidnappings. I'll post the link. It made me think that folks who walk from OKW down to DD should exercise caution when doing this at night. DD is a lot of fun but should really be considered as an "urban" area -- just like going out downtown in a city. The same "caution" would apply to the BWV parking lots at night as well. Sometimes it's easy to forget to lock the doors and pay attention when we get so comfortable in our "paradise".

Abductions from PI Parking Lot

Thanks for the heads-up Pam! i agree it is too easy to be too complacent when visiting wdw.

Wow...what a sobering eye-opener! :(

Thank God the people were not harmed.

Thank you for posting the reminder and your comment about walking to places at night is a good reminder.

We go to WDW to escape the harshness of the real world. I guess there's really no escape, is there? What a shame.

thanks for the info I have walked that route many times not sober LOL will watch for now on funny how you think you are safe because it is Disney, and nothing can happen to you in a magical place my bad

Here's an article with more details on what happened. This is one lucky group of kids.

Car Jacking

Good grief!!

You know, I don't like parking lots. They create an easy environment for stuff like this.

Everyone needs to remember that unfortunately as safe as WDW feels it is part of the real world. Be very aware of your surroundings, watch and look at everyone. We (hubby and I) were robbed at gunpoint on the main road at a well lit establishment at 9pm on a busy Friday night. Cars and people were passing by non stop. It can and does happen rather frequently unfortunately. They took all my jewelry, our cash and then decided they wanted our car. We watched them drive away into the heavy traffic. It makes you much more aware of just how vulnerable you are and how much you need to pay attention. These guys prey upon the unaware and unsuspecting.

Does Orlando have a really high crime rate?

This past January, somebody stole the rear license plate off of my brother's car while it was parked in the valet lot at BWV.

While this was a non-violent, and more of an inconvenience crime for my brother (It will cost him time and money to get a replacement plate), it does show crime can exist well within Disney property.

This is how it is - your supposed to be your familys "Protector" 24-7 anywhere/anytime. It doesnt matter if its Orlando, Long Island or Alaska - Crime is everywhere and if you let your guard down, thats when you or your family become the victims.

Caskbill -- We had a license plate stolen at OKW back before South Point opened. It was a National car so we ended up turning it in. Drug dealers love to get a hold of the license plates.

DVCCajun, I don't think Orlando has a particularly high crime rate but they do have folks waiting to prey on the tourists. No particular need to panic, but just a reminder to keep your eyes open.

Hmmmm...this seems like another good reason for me to stand around and wait for the bus. Not that taking the bus keeps you completely immune, but the PI parking lot is huge and late at night I'd rather be standing in a group at the bus stop.

Very scary article, and some very lucky kids - I shudder to think of the "could haves". Thank God they all were physically unharmed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter