A Whole New World - Was Live, Now complete, catch me again DCA F&W all six weeks!

Love all your meals, pics and descriptions, Alison - thanks so much for all the detail!

I agree that half the beauty of staying in a villa is the ability to cook meals. It saves so much time, money and you can have quality food without the fuss.

We are going to DL over Mother's Day. I can't wait to enjoy the F&W festival and enjoy some time in the villa. :thumbsup2

V&A looks fabulous as usual. Looking forward to more of your review.:)

I'm loving your review! I think the food you made in the room looks even better than the food from the restaurants!
:goodvibes

Love all your meals, pics and descriptions, Alison - thanks so much for all the detail!

I agree that half the beauty of staying in a villa is the ability to cook meals. It saves so much time, money and you can have quality food without the fuss.

We are going to DL over Mother's Day. I can't wait to enjoy the F&W festival and enjoy some time in the villa. :thumbsup2

Thanks! I can't wait for F&W to start. I've got three different weekends booked during the festival two in studios, and one in a 1br. This will be my first stay at the GCV and in a studio! I just booked 4 dinners yesterday on the AP site, now all I need to get is the Cooking School and I'm set!

I'm loving your review! I think the food you made in the room looks even better than the food from the restaurants!
:goodvibes

Thanks! I love to cook, and being able to do so on vacation is really nice because I get a taste of home and it breaks up all the fancy over the top food with something comforting and familiar.

Finally DM was feeling all better, so we decided to go to the park that she was most interested in, Animal Kingdom. We tried to get there for the rope drop, but DD just doesn't get up early well, but at least we were leaving the Villa at 9AM, that was the best we'd done all week.

We rode Kilamanjaro Safaris first, did the Africa walk and then went over the the Bird Show Flights of Wonder. The show was over at noon, and everyone was hungry so we headed down to the Flametree Barbeque. I hadn't eaten here since the year that the AK opened, but I remembered it was pretty good.

DP and I split the Ribs and an order of onion rings

IMG_2534.jpg

DD got the Pork sandwich

IMG_2536.jpg

DM got the Chicken Salad

IMG_2535.jpg

After lunch we started the Asia walk, but had to cut it off at the Bird Sanctuary. DM & DD are birders and they probably would have spent an hour in there! We had to get back to the room to rest a little bit because we had a 4:00 call time for the Wanyama Safari.

===========================================

I am now Hijacking my own Dining Review for a quick Trip Report on our Safari!

For guests staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, there is an afternoon safari of the grounds. You get to ride on a truck around the various Savannah areas visible from the lodge. The truck stops a lot, the guides talk all about the animals, their care and all kinds of other interesting information. After about an hour and a half and visiting all the different savannahs, dinner is served at Jiko to everyone on the safari family style. Here are a few shots I took from the back of the truck.

f1x.jpg

IMG_1589.jpg

f1z.jpg

f2h.jpg

f2k.jpg

f2l.jpg

f2n.jpg

f2o.jpg

================================================

We now return you to your regular programming....

Once the safari was over, we headed to Jiko for a great feast. We started off with various flatbreads and dips. There was Naan, Lavash and Pappadum, the dips were olive tapenade, a red chili, and a green chili.

f2s.jpg

Next came a round of three appetizers, Crispy Savanna Rolls - with sweet corn, bitter greens, goat cheese and curry vinaigrette

f2t.jpg

Next was Tibs Watt in Panekoeke - stewed beef rolled in "crepes" with peppadew-olive tapenade

f2u.jpg

And lastly Barbecue Chicken Flatbread - With apple-jicama slaw, African barbecue sauce, and four cheeses

f2v.jpg

We had a ginger, lemon, & mint drink to cleanse our palates, but I forgot to take a picture of that. :guilty:

For the main course we had the signature filet and macaroni & cheese in red wine sauce

f2y.jpg

Chermoula Tanglewood Chicken - with Goat Cheese Potatoes, Preserved Lemons, and Harissa

f2w.jpg

and Wreck fish with vegetables and tomato butter sauce. It was golden fried and had a similar taste to lobster.

f2x.jpg

We received a tray of desserts including flourless chocolate cake, pistachio crème brulee, lemon mousse and some sort of berry vanilla cream on a shortbread cracker.

f3a.jpg

I also liked this Hidden Mickey which was incorporated into the restaurant design

f2z.jpg

1 day plus our bonus day left to go!

Your reviews are wonderful!

Was your JIKO meal served family style? It looks like a lot of filet mignon with the macaroni and cheese?

Your reviews are wonderful!

Was your JIKO meal served family style? It looks like a lot of filet mignon with the macaroni and cheese?

Yes it was served family style, there were 11 of us (one was a vegetarian) and they put out two plates on the entrees, and three plates for the other courses.

I am here and I am loving your report so far. We loved the Turf club when we stayed last summer. I had the same entree you did and absolutely loved it. :cloud9:

Can't wait to read more. :goodvibes

Waiting for the next installment.
We really want more!:banana:

Great:worship: reviews TY!!!
LOL,
I thought I was the only one walking around hungry
saying "Feed me Seymour":)

This was our final day. We went back to the Animal Kingdom park, and since we made my parents bail before the bird sanctuary yesterday, they went back to finish the Asia trail while I went to ride Expedition Everest three times!

I was slipping on my food journalism because we bought a few cookies and a cinnamon roll from the tea stand waiting for my parents and I forgot to take pictures of them!

We went to see Nemo, the Musical and everyone decided they were hungry afterwards. We decided to try our luck with a walk in at Yak and Yeti and were seated within about 15 minutes. Unfortunately I again forgot to take any pictures, but you aren’t missing much. They had removed the prawn chips from the menu. When I ate here two years ago that was something I really liked, so I definitely missed those! We ordered Egg Rolls, Chicken in Lettuce Cups, Postickers and some Lo Mein. Nothing was very spectacular and for $60 it was pretty outrageous! I can get better food at the $1 Chinese Food place around the corner from my house!

After that we did a little shopping, and checked out the animals around the Tree of Life. We headed back to the room and relaxed a little before getting dressed to go to the California Grill. We left early for our 7PM Reservation because I wanted to take my parents on the monorail loop so that they could hear “Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.” What trip to WDW is complete without that phrase?

We arrived at the check in counter at 6:30 and they were able to take us, so we went up the elevator to what I thought was going to be a fantastic table for viewing the fireworks over the Castle. We started off with the Four Cheese Flatbread, this was great! Crispy on the bottom and the cheeses were all really tasty.

IMG_2561-1.jpg

My parents split the Malibu roll for their appetizer. Keep in mind this is half a portion.

IMG_2564-1.jpg

DP and I split the Hearts of Romaine Salad, it was good, but basically just a Caesar Salad.

IMG_2566-1.jpg

We all ordered the Bison Filet, but each of the couples again split the entrée. I can’t imagine how people eat an entire entrée, this was just perfect, and filet was cooked just right, perfect medium rare.

IMG_2567-1.jpg

After this we watched the fireworks. I had a huge pillar in front of me and couldn’t see any of the fireworks so I got up and watched them from next to the server’s station. Well after splitting all the appetizers and entrees that left room so that we all could each eat our own dessert! We ordered the Valrhona Chocolate Cake with the Molten Center. I don’t’ remember what the ice cream was, but it was good, and I should have taken another picture once I cut into the cake, the center was all ooey gooey and so tasty. The pink stuff on the plate was colored sugar that you could slide your piece of cake through for an extra sugar rush! With a nice glass of port, this was exceptional.

IMG_2571-1.jpg

Final review will be of lunch at Paradisio 37 before we headed back to the airport.

I've been putting this off, probably because I think once I post my last review, the trip is over, but I've been back for almost a month so it's OVER! I just need to get over it and move on! :rotfl2:

So our last morning we checked out of Kidani, brought our bags to the airline check in counter, and checked our carry on bags with the bellman. Normally we fly American and the flight to LAX leaves at 1PM so we catch the 10AM DME and the day is over, so this was actually what I called a "Bonus Day" Our plane didn't leave until 7PM so we didn't have to catch DME until 4PM. We decided to go to DTD mostly because we had to return our rental car at the Buena Vista Palace.

We made a stop at Goofy's Candy Company because I read on ariel1025's Dining Review that you could get your own custom made candy, dipped in whatever sauce you wanted, coated in a topping and then drizzled!

My first "concoction" was a Mickey Gingerbread Cookie that I had dipped in milk chocolate, rolled in Butterfinger crumbs and then drizzled with milk chocolate.

IMG_2577.jpg

My second was a trio of marshmallows also dipped in milk chocolate, dredged in chocolate chips, and drizzled with milk chocolate.

IMG_2579.jpg

I actually waited until I got home to eat these since we had soooo much other food.

Then we went on the Paradisio 37. If you don't know about this place it's one of those last few restaurants with an original menu since they don't take the DDP. They specialize in Tequila and we're looking forward to coming back on our next WDW trip.

We started off with Margaritas for everyone!

IMG_2573-1.jpg

I ordered the trio of dips for our table, they were chili, queso, and guacamole. The only problem with these dips is there wasn't enough!

IMG_2574-1.jpg

Next up DM & DD split the Grilled Chicken Burrito with Chipotle Barbeque Sauce, Cilantro Rice and Black Beans.

IMG_2575-1.jpg

DP and I split the Cheeseburger and Fries

IMG_2576-1.jpg

Mom said that the Burrito was really good and very healthy. We enjoyed the Cheeseburger, it had a nice char to it that you could tell it had been cooked on a nicely seasoned grill. I'd like to come back for dinner and try their Argentinian Skirt Steak, and we'd get a full order of the queso instead of the sampler trio!

After this we caught the bus back to Kidani and waited for our DME bus back to the airport.

Well that's it for now. But you can catch me later for the 5th Annual Disney's California Food & Wine Festival. The Report will include:

Steakhouse 55
Napa Rose Cooking School
Winemaker Dinner - Buena Vista Winery
Brewmaster Dinner - Karl Strauss Brewery
Winemaker Dinner - Groth Winery
Taste (CA's version of Party of the Senses)

And new for this year the "Taste of California" Marketplace which finally brings tapas-sized tasting plates to the DCA F&W Festival.

Plus I'll be attending Celebrity Chef Demonstrations, culinary demonstrations and I might even be able to pull in a favor from and old coworker to get in a visit to Club 33!

I'll post a link here for anyone who is interested to subscribe when the new thread starts!

Thanks for reading! TTFN!

For any of you who are interested, I just started my DCA F&W Review today. Yes I know it's over a month until the Festival starts, but I have all my reservations and I'm just getting too excited. I thought I would post some pics from previous years of Food & Wine, just for kicks, so if you're interested click on the link in my signature and check it out!

Thanks for reading!

Hey, I'm from Long Beach too, and I'll be at the food and wine festival. See you there!

Hi! I was looking at my old food review for research and I noticed I never read your live review. So, thanks for the review. Sounds like you had a great trip. I love how you ate in the room. Usually we eat once or twice in the room but for some reason on our last trip we didn't. We do timeshare a lot and on those trips we tend to eat in more than out. But at WDW we have trouble doing that. I think it is because we are busy for dawn to nightfall. Can't wait to hear about your next review..

Thanks for checking out my WDW Dining Review so late in the game. Once I finished this report, I decided to occupy my time waiting for CA F&W to start by posting all my pics from the last couple years and doing that review...it's well underway if you want to get started. I'm getting REALLY close to my F&W Extravaganza, pretty soon I'll be doing the Single Digit Dance! :banana:

So lets start off with a little background information. The cast of characters on this trip are myself, my DP (we're on either side of 50 a few years each way, but I won't say who is older!), my DM and DD, who are not quite retired, but soon will be.

Me and my DP have been coming to WDW together for over 12 years, and both of us had been here before that. When we were here for Food & Wine last Sept/Oct we purchased APs and the TIW card. The card has already paid for itself so the rest is all gravy from here on out. Many of these restaurants are new to us, but we've picked them all based on other's great reviews.

Let me also say that we all like wine a lot. My parents brought me up drinking great wine. I have a cellar at home, and I shipped a case of great wine to myself for in room drinking and a couple restaurants.

So without further ado, the Turf Club!

We had a long day, getting up early for the flight, and flying across country is always tiring. We had an 8:30 ADR and arrived right at 8:15, they seated us immediately, however it was 20 minutes before our server even stopped by the table. :mad:

Even though we were sharing a bottle of wine, I could not resist a blue drink, I love any blue drink, and they had a Blue Glow-tini, so I had to have it. There was Vodka (skyye I think), Blue Curacao, a couple other things and the glass was rimmed with sugar. :drinking: It was quite yummy, sweet but not sickeningly, just tasty.

IMG_2281.jpg

We started off with an order of onion rings and they were really good. The sauces were a lime mayonnase and a red pepper ranch.

IMG_2282.jpg

Our server was clueless though and that sort of put a damper on the evening, we were already tired to begin with and her ineptitude (messed up our cocktails, she had never opened bottle of wine before:confused: and she's a server(?), didn’t bring us bread & butter, or proper steak knives, etc) was frustrating.

Speaking of opening the wine, we had a 1999 BV Tapestry, for those who care it is a lovely blend, I think some Cab Sauv, Cab Frank, maybe Pinot Noir and some others. This bottle of wine was incredibly smooth, well rounded and went fabulously with our dinner! It cost us $25 corkage, and I had called earlier in the week when they said $20. But how many restaurants have 10 year aged wines that you can drink for $25!

IMG_2283.jpg

The food however, was excellent, two of us had the NY Strip steak. We chose the option with the blue cheese on top, and it had a great port based sauce .

IMG_2285.jpg

IMG_2288.jpg

My DP had the burger

IMG_2286.jpg

And the DM had the Prime Rib, it had a Cabernet Sauvignon based sauce. She substituted the seasonal vegetables for the potatoes, and the kitchen assumed that she didn't want the Swiss Chard that was supposed to come with. When she asked they brought her a small plate of the Swiss Chard too. I didn't get a picture of that.

IMG_2287.jpg

We were too tired and full for dessert, and basically just wanted to get to our room as it was well after 10PM now. So we headed off to our Treehouse Villa to get some sleep.

Turf Club: 4 entrees + appetizer, 1 cocktail, and corkage fee = $112.89 with TIW.

OK, so I'm very late to this party - but I'm enjoying what I've read/seen so far. Great pics too! Can't wait to read through the rest. :) Bummer that I didn't realize you were there - and in a Treehouse - when you were... I checked in to Congress Park on the 22nd, and left on the 25th. Bummer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter