A week somewhere in Nth Am... but where?

losfp

Mouseketeer
Hi all :)

Doing a bit of research for our 2015 family trip, and hoping some other Aussies can offer some suggestions.

This will be in Oct/Nov 2015, and there will be 4 of us... 2 adults, 2 kids (2 and 7). Roughly 5.5 weeks long and the bulk of it will be in Florida. The only thing booked in for sure is a 7-night Western Caribbean cruise on the disney Fantasy on 31/10.

My rough itinerary looks like this so far:

Fri 23/10 - Orlando for 3 nights, staying with a cousin
Mon 26/10 - Universal for 3 nights
Thurs 29/10 - Port Canaveral for 2 nights
Sat 31/10 - CRUISE
Sat 7/11 - WDW for about 12 nights, undecided which resort(s)

By my calculations, we can spare about 4-5 nights at the start of the trip to stop somewhere before getting to Florida. Would prefer it to have kid-friendly activities or be generally laidback. Flying from Sydney so must be en-route to Florida, or not too far from it.

some places I've been considering:

New York - Would love this, as I am a musicals fan. However wifey is not super keen as she doesn't think there's much for kids to do, and we would have to get babysitters for a couple of nights if we see a show or two

Los Angeles - Could turn it into a super Disney trip and see DLR, however it's not as important that we do it as we did DLR for 7 nights in 2012 with the older kid. Wasn't impressed by the rest of LA. On the upside, we would almost certainly have to go via LAX anyway so very little extra travel.

San Francisco - Have heard good things but never been. Would be part of a future roadtrip incl Yosemite so not super urgent.

Toronto - What's to do here? I believe Niagara falls is much more accessible compared to doing it from New York.

Any other ideas?

I loved San Diego personally, it'd be great for kids too. SeaWorld, awesome zoo, nice city, they have a section called old town which is like a little Mexican area with restaurants, crafts for sale, etc (it's only one Main Street but it's fun for a night), legoland is somewhere near the city I believe too? The beaches between LA and San Diego are nice for a visit too.

I loved San Diego personally, it'd be great for kids too. SeaWorld, awesome zoo, nice city, they have a section called old town which is like a little Mexican area with restaurants, crafts for sale, etc (it's only one Main Street but it's fun for a night), legoland is somewhere near the city I believe too? The beaches between LA and San Diego are nice for a visit too.

Oh! I forgot to mention San Diego!! That was one place on our last trip where I thought "oh, I wish we had more time there".. thanks for your thoughts! It's definitely on our list.

Legoland is about halfway between Anaheim and San Diego.. We went there on the day we drove from SD to Anaheim :)

I always recommend New Orleans, it is such a beautiful area, of course Bourbon Street might be to much for the kids but there is so much more to do. The music museums, the garden district, the paddle boats, the plantations. I spent 5 days there and it was no where near enough time.

I think you could really pick any state and research it and you would find lots of amazing places to see and things to do. It will be great no matter where you go.

I always recommend New Orleans, it is such a beautiful area, of course Bourbon Street might be to much for the kids but there is so much more to do. The music museums, the garden district, the paddle boats, the plantations. I spent 5 days there and it was no where near enough time.

I think you could really pick any state and research it and you would find lots of amazing places to see and things to do. It will be great no matter where you go.

thanks for the suggestion, Tash. A good friend of mine just went to the US and raved about NO, so I'll look into it.

I think we might take the path of least resistance and go to LA so we can have a DLR/DCL/WDW holiday! Haha :)

Our boys LOVED New York. There are a ton of child friendly activities although I recommend an unlimited subway pass as the walking was gruelling for the boys.

I was going to suggest San Diego. If you went with San Fran I'd wait to see if any big conventions are planned for when you're travelling, they jack already expensive prices right up.

I'm not a city person, so my suggestions are much more left field.

I would be torn between the likes of a National Park, a second cruise (I loved the Caribbean), or pulling my whole holiday a week forward and stopping for a relaxing 5 days on the way home in somewhere like Hawaii, Fiji, Tahiti.
Another option could be somewhere famous for it's Fall colours e.g. New England. During mid-October you could be lucky enough to catch the colours at their peak.

Wanderlust-from my research for this upcoming trip (late Oct/early Nov) its far too late for the fall colours in most states - they are mostly over by mid Sept unless its an odd year (climate wise). In the end after a lot of research I changed my plans as we were just too late to be sure. But I second having a relaxing few days en route somewhere or visiting more of Florida itself not just WDW or New York or Washington if the kids are old enough to enjoy all the museums.

Wanderlust-from my research for this upcoming trip (late Oct/early Nov) its far too late for the fall colours in most states - they are mostly over by mid Sept unless its an odd year (climate wise). In the end after a lot of research I changed my plans as we were just too late to be sure. But I second having a relaxing few days en route somewhere or visiting more of Florida itself not just WDW or New York or Washington if the kids are old enough to enjoy all the museums.

You might be lucky.

I was in Colorado last year in the last week of September. It was meant to be prime time viewing. Sadly, it was still too early in the season. :confused3

Hi all :)

Doing a bit of research for our 2015 family trip, and hoping some other Aussies can offer some suggestions.

This will be in Oct/Nov 2015, and there will be 4 of us... 2 adults, 2 kids (2 and 7). Roughly 5.5 weeks long and the bulk of it will be in Florida. The only thing booked in for sure is a 7-night Western Caribbean cruise on the disney Fantasy on 31/10.

My rough itinerary looks like this so far:

Fri 23/10 - Orlando for 3 nights, staying with a cousin
Mon 26/10 - Universal for 3 nights
Thurs 29/10 - Port Canaveral for 2 nights
Sat 31/10 - CRUISE
Sat 7/11 - WDW for about 12 nights, undecided which resort(s)

By my calculations, we can spare about 4-5 nights at the start of the trip to stop somewhere before getting to Florida. Would prefer it to have kid-friendly activities or be generally laidback. Flying from Sydney so must be en-route to Florida, or not too far from it.

some places I've been considering:

New York - Would love this, as I am a musicals fan. However wifey is not super keen as she doesn't think there's much for kids to do, and we would have to get babysitters for a couple of nights if we see a show or two

Los Angeles - Could turn it into a super Disney trip and see DLR, however it's not as important that we do it as we did DLR for 7 nights in 2012 with the older kid. Wasn't impressed by the rest of LA. On the upside, we would almost certainly have to go via LAX anyway so very little extra travel.

San Francisco - Have heard good things but never been. Would be part of a future roadtrip incl Yosemite so not super urgent.

Toronto - What's to do here? I believe Niagara falls is much more accessible compared to doing it from New York.

Any other ideas?

Welcome to the Dis and the ANZAC section.

Your trip sounds great.

With a 7 and a 2 yo, I would recommend flying in and chilling in either San Diego or San Francisco. Your alternative is to investigate airfares via Hawaii; and flying from there to the mainland.

If you're looking for something laid back, you could also consider flying into LA and maybe hiring a car and heading towards Santa Barbara or Pismo Beach or Solvang. It will be quieter than LA proper and there will probably be less people than heading towards San Diego.

I noticed that a few of the ANZACS are recommending heading towards New England, New York or even towards Toronto/Niagara. Those are great options too. It'll just depend on how your kids travel and whether you want to head across the continent for that 4 - 5 days down time.

Have fun deciding and enjoy the planning.

Thank you all for your comments, they are all useful :)

There's a ton of time until Oct 2015 so I have a bit of leeway with scheduling.. Will see how it pans out. The only immovable item right now is the cruise.

Hi Wendy,

A couple of days ago I was reading an article that popped up on my Facebook page about the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's a popular USA road trip from Great Smoky Mountain National Park up to Shenandoah National Park, and mid-October is the predicted primetime for Fall Colours. I looks like it would make for an amazing road trip, but perhaps not suitable for the OP due to time constraints.
I'm sure you're probably right though about the States further North. New England was perhaps not the best suggestion. We're in GTNP late September and that's apparently peak fall season. But by mid-October there's a real chance that Yellowstone and Grand Teton could be covered in snow. :)

Interestingly a while back I was researching the Blue Ridge Parkway! My original plan was to start in NYC and drive down to Orlando via BRP. That was before booking the cruise.

I would suggest the great Smoky Mountains/Gatlinburg. The mountains here are beautiful and you can go to Dollywood, which is a lovely theme park with fantastic rides and music. It's a slice of Americana plus the beauty of the outdoors. It's pretty touristy but you can rent some lovely places in the mountains that will make you feel far from it all but close to some fun stuff!

I would suggest the great Smoky Mountains/Gatlinburg. The mountains here are beautiful and you can go to Dollywood, which is a lovely theme park with fantastic rides and music. It's a slice of Americana plus the beauty of the outdoors. It's pretty touristy but you can rent some lovely places in the mountains that will make you feel far from it all but close to some fun stuff!

I didn't realise Dollywood was in the Great Smoky Mountains. I just googled Dollywood and then spent close to an hour having a nosey at all those gorgeous log cabins in the mountains. It all looks so very charming! I'm going to have to visit someday. :)

We added New York onto our trip the last time we were in the States and loved it! The kids will love FAO Schwarz toy store near Central Park (it has the giant piano from the movie 'Big' that the kids can play on) and there is also a huge Toys R Us in Times square will a small ferris wheel inside the building.
We did a pedicab ride through Central Park and got the 'jump the queue' tickets for the Empire State Building which was the best money we ever spent.
I believe there is a Children's museum there too, but we ran out of time to see everything. It is definitely on our list to go back and visit :thumbsup2

I didn't realise Dollywood was in the Great Smoky Mountains. I just googled Dollywood and then spent close to an hour having a nosey at all those gorgeous log cabins in the mountains. It all looks so very charming! I'm going to have to visit someday. :)

It is a lovely area. Parts are very touristy but the national park makes up for it. I live very close and proud to live here! If you ever decide to come feel free to email me for suggestions. Wherever you decide, I hope your family has a wonderful time!

It is a lovely area. Parts are very touristy but the national park makes up for it. I live very close and proud to live here! If you ever decide to come feel free to email me for suggestions. Wherever you decide, I hope your family has a wonderful time!

:thumbsup2 Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

Alternative suggestion - 5 days you could do a driving tour around the Utah national parks (Zion, Bryce canyon etc) on to Monument Valley and The Grand Canyon. Easily done from Las Vegas or Salt Lake City. The fall is a fabulous time around there and they run kids programs in the National parks.
The Southwest is spectacularly beautiful :)

Andona

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter