A Very British Trip Report - May 2009 - Day 1

Discussion in 'UK Trip Reports Board' started by Kevin Stringer, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Kevin Stringer

Kevin Stringer <font color=blue>Chat Host<br><font color=brown>Od

The participants:

Me, Kev, 51, husband, father, son, friend. In fact, just about everything to everybody on this holiday.
    Wife, Tam, 45.
    Daughter 1, India, 18.
    Daughter 2, Georgia, 15.
    Grandma, 84. The girls Grandma, my mother.
    Susan, age kept quiet for fear of kick in soft tissuey area. Our friend from Tulsa.

Attending in part:

Sharon, see above for age. Friend from Texas.
    Evan, 21, Sharon’s son.

The day you leave for the airport is always an exciting time, but a day at work has to be endured before departure. It actually doesn’t go too slowly and Tam and I leave early to be home around 2.30pm. Showered and refreshed we’re off to pick Grandma up just before 4.00pm.

Here comes the first dilemma. How to fit 4 suitcases and 5 people into a Citreon Xsara? The people part isn’t too bad, but the suitcases turn out to be a bit of an issue. They are moved in and out and repositioned several times before a conclusion is reached – these babies ain’t all going to fit in the boot together! We always knew it would be a tight squeeze and had thought about getting a train or taxi to the airport, but financial constraints meant driving was the wisest choice. In the end Grandma’s holdall has to be positioned on the floor in the back of the car between poor India’s legs. India is very good about it and barely moans at all even though her legs are quite squashed. The only thing she says is that her sponge hurts. Now ‘sponge’ is an affectionate term her boyfriend coined for the squeezy bits at the top of your buttocks and has become a bit of a family saying. As descriptions of fatty deposits go, we like sponge.

Anyway, India’s sponge does take a fair pounding as the trip to Gatwick takes over 3 hours. Normally it would be an hour or so shorter, but it’s the start of the bank holiday weekend and the traffic is heavy. We have to leave the M4 due to warnings of bad delays further up and make most of the journey across country. Still, we’re in no hurry and some of the countryside is very pretty.

We arrive at the Gatwick Hilton and drop off Grandma and the girls along with the suitcases while Tam and I drive to the car park – a great deal at £59 for 16 nights using Summer Special Parking.

By the time we get back to the Hilton, check-in and drop the bags in our rooms, it’s 8.30pm. We’re all hungry and so head off to the airport to eat in Frankie and Benny’s. Not the most sophisticated place to eat, but better than paying the extortionate prices at the Hilton.
    The place is packed, but we get a table almost straightaway. Food consumed includes a burger, calzone, pizzas and chicken strips. It’s all reasonable enough and is enjoyed with drinks, Tam and India having Mai-Tai’s to celebrate the start of the holiday and the end of India’s International Baccalaureate exams. Grandma has a glass of Chardonnay, which Tam tries. When Tam remarks how much she is enjoying the calzone, Grandma says ‘You mean the white wine dear?’ We all fall about laughing and decide it’s time to take what’s left of Grandma’s glass of ‘Calzone’ away from her. This may have come just a bit too late as Grandma spies a rather tall gentleman serving food. ‘Oooh, he’s a big man’ she exclaims. Kev grabs Grandma’s ‘Calzone’ and downs it in one. It’s the safest thing to do.

Back to the Hilton where we have a drink in the lounge before bed around 11.00pm.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. tony64

tony64 <font color=blue>Should've been a Cowboy<br><font

YES.... A Kev Stringer trip report.:goodvibes
    Very quick start on the trip reports old boy you must still feel like you're on Florida time?

Glad you've started mate. I've been looking forward to this.:thumbsup2

4. Kevin Stringer

Not really Tonester. I don't go back to work until tomorrow, so a game of golf was enjoyed.
    I always start the trip reports as soon as possible before I lose interest!

Kev

5. natalielongstaff

natalielongstaff <font color=deeppink>I need a cup of tea and a big

great start to your trippie :cool1:

Thats a great price for parking Kev ! where did you book that ??

6. Claire L

Claire L <font color=blue>Enjoys a good broadway show<br><f

Oh great start but where are the piccies?

Claire ;)

7. jen_uk

jen_uk <font color=6666cc>Eurovision Nut !!<font color=33

Great start! :banana:

8. fuse04

fuse04 DIS Veteran

Will be watching the 3 June with interest :thumbsup2

Might try a trip report but didn't make any notes after the third day !

9. Miffy2003

Miffy2003 <font color=orange>I've got Saratoga Springs - mak

Great start, Kevin (is there any other start for a Stringer trip report? ;) )

10. Kevin Stringer

Hi Nat

We got it through BCP Parking. I'm not sure if they are always this good or if we were just lucky.

Kev

11. Kevin Stringer

Crikey woman! Hold your horses! :lmao:
    I didn't think anyone would want to see me driving to the airport, lovely a sight as it might be. ;)

Kev

12. Goofyish

Goofyish DIS Veteran

I always thought it was due to old age and memory loss Kev :thumbsup2

Welcome back :)

PS you need to restock the chat room beer store - it seems to have been stolen while you were away :rolleyes1

13. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg <font color=green>It's 5 o'clock somewhere<br><fon

Glad to see you started there Kevster.

See you changed your car then, thought you had a Citroen!!:lmao:
    Thank you for the explanation of "sponge" as I think that there are some people on these boards who would've made other conclusions as to its meaning:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Look forward to more antics.

14. SusanEllen

SusanEllen DIS Veteran

Really, Kevin, I don't mind if you tell people that I'm 37 (and I was once--for an entire year!)

15. natalielongstaff

natalielongstaff <font color=deeppink>I need a cup of tea and a big

thanks ! I will have a look xx

16. UKDEB

UKDEB <font color=CC33FF>Found the Tag Fairy's hangout<b Moderator

I read the explanation with increasing alarm, until I reached the word "buttocks" and then breathed a huge sigh of relief! :rotfl:

17. irongirlof12

irongirlof12 <font color=blue><marquee>Am I the only one who lo

off to a fab start :thumbsup2

18. mandymouse

mandymouse <font color=red>If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Moderator

Yay ! Another Stringer Family trip report. Great start Kev :thumbsup2 I look forward to reading some more

19. saratogagirl

saratogagirl <font color= CC0066>I need books, and wine and Ian

great, great start, I am so relieved that Indias sponge is not what I was expecting it to be - phew !!

20. Pugsly

Pugsly DIS Veteran

As always, a great start!

Be sure to keep an eye on your mum and her "calzone" intake. ;)

21. jockey

jockey <font color=deeppink>Repeat after me....I LOVE CRO

Great start, looking forward to more :)